The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 01-17-2005, 07:50 PM

HELP! My TV just stopped working!!

Anybody here know much about television sets? I have a 32" RCA TruFlat television that I purchased in July 2004. About a half hour ago, I was in the kitchen doing something and when I came back to the living room, the tv was off. I tried to turn it on with the remote. Nothing. I tried with the front controls. Nothing. I looked into the "troubleshooting" section of the manual to no avail (one of the suggestions for "tv will not turn on" is to check the "parental controls" in the menu ...how would I do this if IT WON'T EVEN TURN ON??). It also suggested that I unplug it for a couple of minutes and try it again. I did that and when I plugged it back in, it made the sound like it turned on, but then it was the same as before.

I know the power works because the front power button glows periodically. Nothing else seems to work. Can anybody give me ideas as to what could be wrong? I'm definitely calling customer support tomorrow, but I'd like to see if any of the informed dopers here have any ideas on what I could tell them.

I guess the real question is ...why did this happen on 24 night???? Luckily we have another small tv that we can use, but damn this is annoying.
Advertisements  
Old 01-17-2005, 09:06 PM

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like there's something wrong with the infared sensor. Unplug the TV and take the batteries out of the remote and plug the TV back in and see what happens. Peace.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:09 PM

Still nothing

I can hear a really light high-pitched whine every couple of seconds when I replug in the television. Almost as if it's trying to work, but can't get it done. Also, anyone in customer service at a certain electronics store (has the initials C.C.) know if I could bitch and get a new set? My warranty went out last month and I lost the form, but if I bitched up enough of a storm, think it would work?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interface2x
Still nothing

I can hear a really light high-pitched whine every couple of seconds when I replug in the television. Almost as if it's trying to work, but can't get it done. Also, anyone in customer service at a certain electronics store (has the initials C.C.) know if I could bitch and get a new set? My warranty went out last month and I lost the form, but if I bitched up enough of a storm, think it would work?
That sounds like old "Murphy's Law" to me. I personally still think its the infared sensor. You probably have one of those crazy SONY univeral remotes that go blinky after a while. You'll just have to play with the on-set power button to get the TV back on. SONY's products are usually well-built that why I'm going with the sensor. Peace.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 PM

It's the End of the World!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Try replacing the batteries in the remote (or just press the "On" button on the TV itself). If not, it's new TV time, alas.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:08 PM

Can you see the number of the channel? Are you using a cable or universal remote? In fact do you have Cable/Sattelite? It sounds like you're on Input to me.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:21 PM

I'm using normal cable, straight from the wall jack. Works on the smaller television just fine. As for the channel numbers, I can't see anything on the screen - it looks like it's not even on with the exception of the blinking green light on the power button.

And damn straight it's the end of the world, I paid good money for this motherfucker
Old 01-17-2005, 10:27 PM

Try smacking the shit out of the TV.

I have a 32" Sony that's been giving me problems lately and voilence seems to be the only common language it and I both speak. (works for a while, goes out during incredible football catch, then re-occurs -repeat smacking the shit out of it here.)
Old 01-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Look at your TV remote and hit the 'input' button. What happened?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 PM

If that didn't work unscrew the cable and see if you get a blue screen or (unlikely for your new TV) snow, if you get a blue screen/snow Cable is the likey suspect.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:35 PM

Me?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:36 PM

I don't think my remote will reach interface2x's house, but ...ok.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooves
Me?

I was talking to interface2x
Old 01-17-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooves
Try smacking the shit out of the TV.

I have a 32" Sony that's been giving me problems lately and voilence seems to be the only common language it and I both speak. (works for a while, goes out during incredible football catch, then re-occurs -repeat smacking the shit out of it here.)

OOC, what's the problem with yours?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:53 AM

Percussive maintenance is discouraged, unless you'd like an expensive doorstop. Modern sets cram many functions into a minimum of integrated circuits, and they aren't as forgiving as the old tube type sets. You could be lucky in that a sacrificial component has gone bad in response to a power line surge, it could also be a common problem that the local TV shop has already been apprised of via service bulletin, or you might already have an expensive doorstop. I'd vote for a stop at the place of purchase and see what they diagnose the problem to be.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:12 AM

Your remote probably has a bunch of buttons labeled 'TV', 'VCR', 'cable', etc...

Try pushing the button marked 'TV', then turning on your television with the remote (it took two trips to the shop before someone mentioned this was why my TV wasn't working last year...).
Old 01-18-2005, 06:57 AM

by Stuffy
Quote:
OOC, what's the problem with yours?

My TV, which is about 8yrs old, just recently started acting up. The picture completely goes out and I have to get up and smack the side of it, at which point the picture reappears.

I've already checked the connections so I'm guessing that either there's a loose component inside or there's something in there that's almost dead. I have no idea what it looks like in there.

My wife seems to think that this is an acceptable lifespan for a TV (8yrs) but I don't considering that I have older tvs that still work wonderfully.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:04 AM

It sounds to me like the tube died on you.
It is getting power, but the tube doesn't fire up.
This would explain the high-pitched noise as well.
If a good bang on the side doesn't solve it, you will need to have it replaced/fixed.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:44 AM

Yeah, it sounds like the tube tries to fire up but just can't get it going. Looks like a call to RCA and a stop to get a copy of my receipt tonight.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 AM

Something similar happened to us before Christmas. The TV would turn off at random times while watching it. We'd have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. It lasted like that for awhile until before Christmas when it would only stay on for about ten seconds. It was annoying going through the troubleshooting steps with that time frame.

Anyway, I called RCA and explained the problem, and the operator told me some component in the TV had failed and that it had to be repaired. We took it in for an estimate, but the cost was greater than a new TV, so we bought a replacement. I just can't remember what it was that failed though. That would be helpful to you because the symptoms are similar. Regardless, be prepared in case it is the same thing.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interface2x
I can hear a really light high-pitched whine every couple of seconds when I replug in the television.
I'm guessing the high-pitch "whine" is the inductor in the switching power supply.

You probably have a power supply problem. Probably a shorted or open capacitor, or bad switching transistor.

Do you know an electronic hobbyist, e.g. ham radio operator, EE student, RC model junkie, or all-around electronics tinkerer? If so, I'd offer them a case of their favorite beer (or whatever) in exchange for checking it out. Just be sure they know how to properly discharge the HV before working on it.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think it likely is something related to the power supply in there. I'm just gonna probably bite the bullet and have it fixed by an "Authorized RCA repair service". It's still on the manufacturer's warranty, so it'll be free, just a pain in the ass to get done.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM

Great, now the left surround channel of my lovely Harman Kardon AVR7000 receiver stopped working.
Looks like that one's off to repair as well.
I just hope they can fix it here in the Netherlands.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 PM

Sorry if I jinxed you