The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 02-13-2005, 07:25 PM

Emachine makes one shitty computer

Jesus I hate my parents computer. I think it has a 2Ghz processor and 256MB of RAM (which should be enough) but it sucks so bad. It takes 10 minutes to do what would take 1 minute on my computer and mine has a 1.2Ghz CPU and 512MB of RAM. What does Emachines do to make their computers so goddamn shitty? I know I have heard others complain of the same thing with their Emachine. It shouldn't take 15 seconds to open a music file or 20 seconds to load a webpage.
Advertisements  
Old 02-13-2005, 07:40 PM

I agree that it sounds like something is wrong with your parent's computer but I think it's likely software related. Have you checked for spyware? If not check out the sticky in GQ on how to detect and remove spyware.

Also, how much hard drive space is remaining? There may not be enough space to create a decent sized swap file.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:42 PM

Cheap processors with no L2 cache, slow front side bus speeds, and shared memory for video.

To an extent, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:42 PM

Probably loaded with spyware. Or just has 1001 unnecessary processes & programs running. Maybe it just desperately needs a defrag. Parents are seldom versed in keeping their machines tidy. Can't be worse than Compaq!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark
What does Emachines do to make their computers so goddamn shitty?
Subpar components, basically. Emachines are the worst computers ever. I really don't know how they sustain a market; I know some people can't afford an expensive computer but as long as you're shelling out $700 for an Emachine you might as well spend $850 for a Dell or Gateway. Those computers aren't great either but they're miles ahead of Emachines.

But hey, five years ago twenty seconds to open a webpage was lightning fast speed. Count your blessings?
Old 02-13-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsix
Cheap processors with no L2 cache, slow front side bus speeds, and shared memory for video.

Hell a new CPU/motherboard combo is only $110 on pricewatch. And that is for a P4 1.5Ghz or an AthlonXP3000. Perhaps I should buy them one this model probably has a Celeron or something.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:46 PM

I've had my emachine for 4 years now. Never have upgraded it or done anything but add the usual antivirus and Spybot, things like that. I only use my computer for the internet and I don't download music or anything. I've never had a problem with it, and with my DSL, it runs as fast as I want. Pretty good considering it was basically free (my car got hit in the parking lot of the Best Buy just before I bought it and after the rebates, the cost of the computer was exactly the same as the check from his insurance company, so that worked out nicely for me.)
I have a hand-me-down Dell sitting in the closet for when my emachine conks out on me, but so far not one problem with it.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:57 PM

Emachines used to be total crap, but they make some nice boxes these days. Especially the notebooks.

I third (fourth?) the suggestion to run Spybot, Adaware, and an antivirus scan.

It might be worth slapping in another 256MB DIMM, too.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Yeah, 256MB is the (bare) minimum for Win XP. I skated by on 128 for a while, but only by heading in to the service manager and chopping out *everything* that wasn't directly necessary (I got it down to 111MB post-boot, a proud moment...). 256MB and a slow hard drive will make any computer painful, no matter how fast the CPU is.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

E-machines subsidizes their PCs by loading them with spy- and crapware at the plant. I bought one for my son, knowing what I was getting, and it ran fine once I cleaned it out and added memory.

Still can't beat $400 for just the box...
Old 02-13-2005, 08:32 PM

they're made (assembled) in Korea.... what do you want?!?!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:32 PM

I bought an eMachines computer a couple years ago. I don't know which was worse...the system or the customer service. eMachines refused to take it back, so I brought it back to Walmart. A manager there tried calling their tech support to see what happened and got put through such a nightmare of undocumented repeat calls that he took pity on me and took it back even though the 30 day grace period had expired.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:36 PM

My dad has already run a variety of anti-viral software programs so that can't be it. I guess another 256MB stick of RAM is a good idea for him, i'll have to buy him one. I forget whether he uses DDR or SDRAM though or what PC rating it uses (2700, 3000, etc). I'll have to ask.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuity eror
Subpar components, basically. Emachines are the worst computers ever. I really don't know how they sustain a market; I know some people can't afford an expensive computer but as long as you're shelling out $700 for an Emachine you might as well spend $850 for a Dell or Gateway. Those computers aren't great either but they're miles ahead of Emachines.
$850?

You can currently get a Dell with P4 2.8GHz processor, 256Mb RAM, 40Gb hard drive, and 15" flat panel monitor for $499.

Add $50 to double the RAM, $30 to double the hard drive size, and you've still got a perfectly decent basic machine with a nice monitor for under $600.

Next time i buy a new computer, i'm probably gonna build my own, but right now my Dell does its job just fine.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:48 PM

eMachines can be fine computers. Not the best gaming machines, however a look at the newer models show that they have a lot of potentional. They make great computers for college students because they are really good word processor and Internet machines. Otherwise, it's not like eMachines make their own hard drives and motherboards. They just buy the parts and assemble them. The hard drive can be a Seagate model, cdroms can be SamSung model, etc... I had a 400hz Celeron eMachine with 256mb of ram and a 5400rpm harddrive with XP installed, and that would kick the OPs parents computers ass. I've also helped people with they're newer models too, and they seem to be great PC's for the money. Usually the things that go wrong with them is almost always operator error (sorry). There must be a ton of software apps, spyware, and possible viruses that are installed that are hogging the resources. I've never had to deal with customer service though, so I cannot comment on that.

This would be one bad motha with a video card and a memory upgrade:

http://www.emachines.com/products/pr...Machines_T5026

The lower models would also play a lot of the latest games with the same upgrades. So from a hardware perspective, they're not that bad.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:55 PM

I'd like to concur with the sentiment that eMachines sucks hairy ball sacks. My niece has an eMachines, and it's been nothing but trouble. From day one, the monitor was always a bit fuzzy, and then it conked out completely. We replaced it with the monitor from my old NEC, but that was slowly corrupted as well. Not long after we hooked up the DSL the computer was riddled with spyware, and YES, we did run Spyware and AdAware, but that never cleaned everything, and shit kept coming back. On top of all that, add the incredible slowness, despite having a 1.0 Ghz processor, and the fact that from time to time the CD-RW drive will refuse to read any CDs, and you've got yourself the worst computer ever made.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:54 AM

I had one as well. THe reason I bought it was that it was dirt cheap. It was an Intel Celeron with 800 mhz, 128 of Ram and a 20gig HD that I bought in September 2001 for $150 with all the rebates. Eventually I swapped out the original CD-rom for a CD-burner, and put in another 256Mb of ram. Once I put in more Ram it ran much better. I also ran Ad-aware which helped improve the performance.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichini Sanshigo
Not long after we hooked up the DSL the computer was riddled with spyware, and YES, we did run Spyware and AdAware, but that never cleaned everything, and shit kept coming back.
Look, i know nothing about eMachines computers. Never used one. Probably never will.

But you can't blame eMachines for your computer's viruses, spyware and trojans. No matter what sort of computer you buy, they all have some basic things in common: motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive, and a way of connecting to the internet (either modem or ethernet). They also have an operating system, most likely Windows.

Any system with all these components is susceptible to a variety of malware from the internet, and whether or not you get that malware has very little to do with the quality of the computer or its components; it has to do with the installation (or lack thereof) of specific pieces of software (firewall, anti-spyware, virus protection, adware removal, etc., etc.), hardware (a router with hardware firewall is a good idea), and the correct configuration of these things (e.g., closing unused ports).

eMachines may suck hairy ball sacks, but replacing your eMachines computer with a top-of-the-line IBM won't stop you getting spyware if you don't take the proper precautions.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I love it when girls talk geek.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I have an emachine that I bought about five years ago. It's done basically what I needed it to do, but it has...issues. There was software bundled with the PC that I've never been able to run without the computer gacking. I won't buy another. I'll probably go Mac when it's time to replace this PC, if for no other reason that the virus/trojan protection.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuity eror
Gateway purchased eMachines a couple of years ago, so they're actually the same company. I believe Ted Waitt stepped aside and the company is now run by the former head of eMachines.

But I agree with those who suggest a spyware problem with the PC. That's the most likely cause of the sluggishness.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:06 AM

I bought an e-machine about 18 months ago. It had an onboard videocard that was crappy, but no problem--I already had a better video card I could install.

Six calls to tech support and four emails later, trawling through messageboards, flashing my BIOS with the proper version (an incorrect one came preinstalled), removing the battery to resolve the problems that tech-support got me to cause, I took the piece of crap back to the store and exchanged it for an HP machine.

Three weeks later, their tech support wrote me back to tell me that since I'd flashed the BIOS to the updated version, they could no longer help me with my problem, but they hoped I'd enjoy my e-Machine!

Daniel
Old 02-14-2005, 02:54 PM

I have an E-machine for my work computer. It is slow and cranky and just generally sucks. The worst thing is that this is my second one here at work. The first one was STOLEN! Yes, that's right, some fool stole a freakin' e-machine. Serves them right to have to deal with that crappy thing.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Madd Maxx said:
I love it when girls talk geek.
Then you'll love it that I build my own. I build for my mom and my dad. I would build for my sister if she wasn't such a freaking hard-head about it.

I fix computers for my family, people in my neighborhood, and anyone who's owed a favor by parentsixes.

Oh, and my nick references Cat-6 the IEEE standard for network cable.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Completely satisfied eMachines owner here. Two years, zero complaints. But who knows, maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Emachine makes one shitty computer
Well, as long as all the others they make are good, I guess that's okay.

My Emachines is about two and a half years old, and I don't have any regrets about buying it, but nowadays it is acting like it could use some extra RAM. Still, it's better than the 486 machine it replaced, and way way better than the Apple IIs and Commodore 64s and Timex Sinclair 1000s that we used to have. Ah, the good old days, when RAM was measured in Kilobytes. Kids these days are spoiled rotten. Hrmmph.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:47 PM

How do I find the type of RAM his computer uses just by going through the software in XP? Is it under device manager because I can't find any info on my computer listing what kind of RAM I use in mine.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<snip>

Oh for....I used to sell computer cables for a living, and I never got that.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:11 PM

Yeah.

I guess I'll have to increment to catseven if they ever get that standard done.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How do I find the type of RAM his computer uses just by going through the software in XP? Is it under device manager because I can't find any info on my computer listing what kind of RAM I use in mine.

crucial.com can scan your computer and tell you what kind of ram you use

lh
Old 02-14-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by mhendo

Quote:
But you can't blame eMachines for your computer's viruses, spyware and trojans. No matter what sort of computer you buy, they all have some basic things in common: motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive, and a way of connecting to the internet (either modem or ethernet). They also have an operating system, most likely Windows.

Any system with all these components is susceptible to a variety of malware from the internet, and whether or not you get that malware has very little to do with the quality of the computer or its components; it has to do with the installation (or lack thereof) of specific pieces of software (firewall, anti-spyware, virus protection, adware removal, etc., etc.), hardware (a router with hardware firewall is a good idea), and the correct configuration of these things (e.g., closing unused ports).
I don't buy that. When my ancient, 1995 NEC was hooked up with a dinky dial-up connection, I didn't have those spyware problems. Now, I use an hp on the exact same DSL connection as my niece's computer, and, look ma, no spyware! No slow run times, no waiting a year and a life for freakin' Solitaire to open, no unwanted pop-ups in an IE window even when I don't have IE running. I can't help but believe that eMachines is the problem.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I don't buy that. When my ancient, 1995 NEC was hooked up with a dinky dial-up connection, I didn't have those spyware problems. Now, I use an hp on the exact same DSL connection as my niece's computer, and, look ma, no spyware! No slow run times, no waiting a year and a life for freakin' Solitaire to open, no unwanted pop-ups in an IE window even when I don't have IE running. I can't help but believe that eMachines is the problem.
Well, perhaps you could then dispel my ignorance by explaining to me how the basic hardware components of your machine—isolated from any firewalls or relevant software—might contribute towards the number of spyware and virus infections you get?

I'm not saying it's impossible. There might be a perfectly good explanation why the basic hardware could lead to such differences. But it's going to take more than anecdotal evidence based on a sample of three computers to convince me.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:46 AM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

My really poor aunt wanted to buy her kid a computer a few years back. It was when eMachines were THE thing. With all the rebates they were dirt cheap, totally affordable for her. I knew this machine would be in the hands of a 9 year old, so I told her she MUST get the extended replacement warranty from Best Buy.

After a few false starts (2 busted power supplies and 2 brand new machine replacements in the first 6 months) this box has been running like a champ for over 3 years now. The kid plays DVDs, video games, music, and all sorts of spyware-induced Web activity (read: neopets) on it and I've only had to do one basic big clean and one OS upgrade because he begged me to.

I installed more ram at one point and replaced the CDRW and the monitor....but i have done three times as much to my own machines in the same amount of time and I am a "good user" not a smart assed pre-teen like my cousin.

Yeah you get what you pay for, but if you pay attention to what you're doing eMachines work just as well as any machine. People can seriously fuck up any machine you put in front of them.

Catsix: g33k grr1s un1t3!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:58 AM

Quote:
ZipperJJ said:
Yeah you get what you pay for, but if you pay attention to what you're doing eMachines work just as well as any machine. People can seriously fuck up any machine you put in front of them.
Computers built with shoddy parts in order to keep the costs low and that skimp out on things for the same reason don't run as well as those that have the necessary resources to run applications.

Ten years ago, it might not have been such a problem to use a computer with a processor that has no level 2 cache, but there's no way you're going to get Windows XP to run functionally on it, resource hog that it is. An Emachine with a cheap onboard video card that shares RAM with the rest of the system isn't going to play World of Warcraft for anything, won't render the textures for the ground, the sky, water, or even the characters properly.

About the only part you're right about is that people can fuck up any computer, but an Emachine is not designed to be a regular computer, the main system that all the stuff is done on. They're glorified WebTV, and it's dishonest as hell that Emachines were ever marketed as if they'd be the only computer you need. They simply do not have the requisite hardware to handle everything the modern computer user wants.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 AM

Quote:

/me feels a minor worry vanish

Oh, and Ishini Sanshigo: Why are you called Onetwo Threefourfive?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Does your niece use Kazaa? Download ringtones? Browse around online games? Look at porn? Happily download otherwise "free" stuff? Is she at all aware about what kind of browsing habits she needs to develop to protect her machine from scumware?

There are all kinds of things "kids" do that make them significantly more likely to have problems then more responsible parties. My parents have an ancient, 400mhz Celeron Gateway. They basically do email, scan pictures, burn some CD's, and look for cheap airfare. Never really have a problem. When my college-age little brother comes home for the holidays, though, the machine suddenly gets mysteriously hosed. The weekend after he leaves, I go over an clean everything up until the next time he swings by.

99.9999% of the time, a PC's hardware has absolutely nothing to do with its succeptability to scumware. It comes down to software and the user.

My company has an Emachine that was saved from the dumpster serving happily as a web server right now. Other than the time I accidentally shut down power to the whole building while fixing the timer on our generator transfer switch, it hasn't been rebooted in at least a year.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... there's no way you're going to get Windows XP to run functionally on it, resource hog that it is..... ... but an Emachine is not designed to be a regular computer, the main system that all the stuff is done on. They're glorified WebTV, and it's dishonest as hell that Emachines were ever marketed as if they'd be the only computer you need. They simply do not have the requisite hardware to handle everything the modern computer user wants.
Wow. That comes as a complete surprise to me. I've been using mine for two years, doing everything from burning CDs to balancing my checkbook to posting on the Dope to playing Pirates! to using Word to running a wireless network in my house and everything else I've ever done on any other computer, and I have had not one single problem, ever. I've never had any catastrophic crashes, no hardware failures, no software has ever refused to run on it.

I'll readily admit I'm no computer expert, and that you probably have more technical knowledge in your pinky than I have in my whole head, but until now I had no idea that I actually needed another, more expensive computer to do the things that I've been doing for the past two years. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Ravenman said:
I have had not one single problem, ever.
Good for you. However, I still believe that the Emachine was designed to be a cheap computer on which to check e-mail and browse the web, and that it wasn't desgined to be used for much more than that by the users who purchased them. Of course, I have a very low opinion of the Celeron processor in general, specifically because of the things it lacks in order to make it a 'cheap Pentium.' I also think that most onboard video (at least, all the ones I've ever seen) are on the really low end of the scale and tend not to hold up to the kind of use that I put a computer to. Sharing RAM for video is one of those things that irritates me to no end, and is something that I've seen to be a problem in a lot of computers.

The T3624 they've got for a desktop right now has a Celeron processor, which is low in the L2 cache (512 KB would be a hell of a lot better than the 256 KB it has) and is sharing 64 MB of its total 256 (the bare minimum for XP to run in anything approaching a 'good' manner) for the onboard video. Even my hundred dollar video card has 256 MB of memory on it and its own dedicated processor for video, which means applications aren't starving for memory that's being hogged by the video card.

A 60 GB hard drive is OK, but not that great, especially now when mass storage is continuing to get cheaper and cheaper and you're often paying more per byte for the smaller drives than the larger drives.

Their 600$ model shares a whopping 224 MB of memory for video out of the total 512 MB that comes with the machine, it's still got a Celeron processor and lacks expansion bays for additional drives. The hard drive, at least, is 160 GB, but that's about the only thing I can see that's really worth much in this system, and even those can be picked up cheaply if you're building your own. It's also the only one I see that comes with an actual Pentium processor. Shock and awe.

It's underpowered for the kind of use they claim it'll be good for - the hottest games with the 3D graphics. It'll run Pirates!, but I doubt it would handle World of Warcraft, which recommends a GeForce 2 or better video card and which I've seen run like shit on video cards with less than 256 MB of dedicated RAM. They're substandard, and a much better system could be built for a very minor difference in price.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<snip> I also think that most onboard video (at least, all the ones I've ever seen) are on the really low end of the scale and tend not to hold up to the kind of use that I put a computer to. Sharing RAM for video is one of those things that irritates me to no end, and is something that I've seen to be a problem in a lot of computers.

The T3624 they've got for a desktop right now has a Celeron processor, which is low in the L2 cache (512 KB would be a hell of a lot better than the 256 KB it has) and is sharing 64 MB of its total 256 (the bare minimum for XP to run in anything approaching a 'good' manner) for the onboard video. Even my hundred dollar video card has 256 MB of memory on it and its own dedicated processor for video, which means applications aren't starving for memory that's being hogged by the video card.
<snip>
I think you've hit the nail on the head - my eMachine gacks every time I try to run a memory-intensive app.

I've upgraded my RAM once, and I'm out. There's no room left for any more upgrades. And I *did* buy it for (in part) the advertised upgradeability. It has been just fine for email, surfing, word processing, and spreadsheet apps, though, so I'm not complaining too loudly - just won't buy another.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Dang it, I meant to say graphics intensive apps.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

it is possible to keep a sub par machine running far beyond its limited lifespan. i had a packard bell plt 1 running until some klutz knocked it off the desk about six months ago. (i have some dos applications that just love windows 95/windows 98 and will not run properly on anything newer.)

lh
Old 02-16-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
longhair75 said:
it is possible to keep a sub par machine running far beyond its limited lifespan.
Possible, but not really practical or recommended.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
Oh for....I used to sell computer cables for a living, and I never got that.
Im with you, damn I was thinking, ok thats odd someone who likes making cats sick ahh well your choice...

The real reason makes somewhat more sense though (although if it had been CatFive I'd have gotten it in a second I swear)
Old 02-17-2005, 12:06 AM
BANNED

I have an Emachine purchased from best buy about 14 months ago for $500.00. It has a Pentium IV running at 2.6GHz, 1024Megabytes of RAM (which I upgraded at the time of purchase for about $120.00) and an Intel Extreme Ghaphics 3D card (which I think is onboard, but am not certain). I use it for word processing, and games and have yet to encounter a problem. In fact I play the latest Halflife online with my friends and they are always complaining about their systems "going in slow motion" while mine zooms along just fine. Can someone explain why my "cheap machine" seems to do just fine?