Old 02-14-2005, 05:44 PM

Shirley Stoler = Shirley Kilpatrick

(obligatory link) http://home.comcast.net/~flickhead/Shirley-Stoler.html

This site opines that notable character actress Shirley Stoler ("Miami Blues", "Seven Beauties", "The Deer Hunter", "The Honeymoon Killers") is also 50s pin-up queen & star of the execrable "Astounding She-Monster".

Comparative pictures are at the bottom of the link - what do you think?

Are there any other B-movie buffs who lie awake at night - obsessing over things like this? I didn't think so.

VCNJ~
Old 02-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

If you Google on "Shirley Kilpatrick" and "She-Monster," you'll find a cached page from the IMDb from a year or so ago. It's the IMDb page on Shirley Stoler. In it, it's claimed that Stoler and Kilpatrick are the same person. However, if you look at the present Shirley Stoler page on IMDb, it no longer claims this. So at one point the IMDb accepted the claim that they were the same person, but now they no longer do.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:44 PM

There certainly is a resemblance, particularly when the Shirleys have that lazy, pouty look with the half-closed eyes.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner
If you Google on "Shirley Kilpatrick" and "She-Monster," you'll find a cached page from the IMDb from a year or so ago. It's the IMDb page on Shirley Stoler. In it, it's claimed that Stoler and Kilpatrick are the same person. However, if you look at the present Shirley Stoler page on IMDb, it no longer claims this. So at one point the IMDb accepted the claim that they were the same person, but now they no longer do.
Interesting! I note that at the Glamour Girls of the Silver Screen site - http://www.glamourgirlsofthesilversc...y++Kilpatrick/ - they note Kilpatrick's birthday as 3.29.30, the same birthdate IMDB attributes to Stoler.

I just find crap like this fascinating. I really should take up needlepoint again

VCNJ~
Old 02-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfreud
There certainly is a resemblance, particularly when the Shirleys have that lazy, pouty look with the half-closed eyes.
Yeah, I love when Shirley Ujest flounces into a thread with that look on her face.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:14 AM

Yeah, that is me...all sultry and pouty lipped. Angelina Jolie has nuthin' on me.

/got nothin'
Old 02-15-2005, 01:27 PM

Shirley Stoler does resemble Shirley Kilpatrick. But I hesitate to say she is the same person, for several reasons. First, The Astounding She-Monster was filmed in the Los Angeles area, but Shirley Stoler was born in New York, and her earliest known stage (1960s) and screen (1969) credits were done in the New York area. Third, She-Monster leading man Robert Clarke wrote about the making of the movie in his autobiography To "B" or Not to "B": A Film Actor's Odyssey in 1996, but does not say that Shirley Kilpatrick later became famous as Shirley Stoler.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:45 PM

Postscript: Stoler first acted on the New York stage in 1956, the same year that The Astounding She-Monster was made in Los Angeles. According to an interview with Stoler in The New York Times in 1976, she was working as a clerk for a Manhattan life insurance company at the time, and had given no thought to an acting career until she was approached.