What are you reading now?

I know we do this a lot, but I need more recommendations! Also, I’m kind of excited about the book I’m reading right now. It is called Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress, by Susan Jane Gilman. I’ve just started it, but so far it’s been very funny. I’ve laughed out loud a couple of times, which I hardly ever do while reading.
I just finished English Passengers, by Matthew Kneale, and that was really good too. Thanks twickster! I didn’t think it was going to be my cup of tea, but it was very well written and drew me into the story.
So, bring on the recommendations! What book is sucking your eyeballs along these days?

My favorite kind of thread!

I’m still working on The Crimson Petal and The White, by Michael Faber. I like it, and it’s interesting, but it’s just slow going for some reason. I keep reading other books at the same time that are quicker reads.

I just started The Time-Traveler’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. It’s very good so far.

I just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. A quickie. I’d heard a lot about here and from some friends, and bought it with a Christmas gift card. I liked it a lot.

I want to buy Collapse by Jared Diamond, the author of Guns, Germs and Steel. The premise sounds interesting and a good complement to G,G & S.

Glad you liked English Passengers, Dung Beetle. (Which reminds me, I loaned that to a friend getting over surgery, I’ve got to get that back from him before he starts loaning it to people and my copy disappears! :wink: )

I’m currently about 3/4 of the way through Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell*, about two English magicians (i.e., men who cast spells, not stage magicians) at the time of the Napoleonic wars. It’s wonderful, and I’ll search for the thread (or start one if necessary) when I finish it – probably next weekend sometime. (It’s 800 pages.)

Stephen King’s Wolves of the Calla, volume five of his Dark Tower series. I have the trade paperback edition that came out fairly recently. I’m about half way through and enjoying it so far.

Before starting that I completed Pandora’s Star, by Peter F. Hamilton. IMO he is the best writer going today for the “space opera” variety of science fiction, and this was another great example.

Second sentence in the second paragraph should read: “IMO he is one of the best writers…” There are definitely other writers of space opera I also think are great; first such that comes to mind is Iain M. Banks.

An Oblique Approach by David Drake and Eric Flint. Hubby bought it for my birthday, but it’s been pretty slow reading since I just had a baby and all my free time is spent either sleeping or doing laundry. Good book so far, though.

My wife and I coincidentally gave each other books for Valentine’s Day. :smiley: So now I’m reading God’s Politics by Jim Wallis, which is about the role of progressive Christianity in our current political climate. Best point I’ve read so far? When did we start proclaiming that God is on our side, and stop worrying about whether we’re on His?

And my lovely (and 8.5 months pregnant) wife is reading the new Shopaholic book by Sophie Kinsella, Shopaholic and Sister. She enjoyed the other three books in the series, so I’m assuming she’ll like this one too.

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. Traces the development of the Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago and the career of Dr. Henry Holmes, a serial killer who was working his magic in the same city at the same time.

I’m also reading this and I’m about halfway through. It’s beautifully written, but if someone were to ask me what the plot was about, I couldn’t tell you anything more than what you said above. I really have very little idea where the story is heading, but I’m enjoying the trip.

I’m re-reading Stephen King’s Dark Tower series right now. I’m currently in the middle of Wizard and Glass.
Before that, I read Road to the Dark Tower by Bev Vincent.

I also recently read We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, and highly recommend it.

currently reading:
Fooled By Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and the Markets by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

I’m just under halfway through and it’s not half as good as the reviews led me to believe. It’s allegedy about mathematical strategies for dealing with random events in the marketplace but reads more like “I, the author of this book, am much more clever than mere mortal traders” with a few mathematical not-quite-insights thrown in.

also attempting:

The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose

An amazingly ambitious attempt at taking the reader from basic mathematical principles up to an understanding of modern physical theories. Even though I’m a maths/atronomy graduate (although over a decade out of practice) this book races over my head most of the time. I read a chapter when I feel like something mentally challenging.

fictionwise:

I’m being lazy and re-reading Pratchett novels for light entertainment.

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and supposed best single volume on the U.S. Civil War (not as much about the military side of things as I’d like, but I’ll address that down the road).

On deck: The Unknown Shore by Patrick O’Brian.

In the hole: The Hornet’s Nest by Jimmy Carter (yes, that Jimmy Carter).

I am reading Good Times by Edward Abbey. It’s set in the near future after some sort of war wiped out a lot of civilizatiuon. It’s set in the american west where various groups of people are trying to eeke out a living and rebuild societies. Pretty good so far.

I just bought it, but I have yet to start it. Currently I’m reading The Amber Spyglass, after seeing His Dark Materials popping up all over in these boards. It really is a fantastically written story. One of those books that are possibly directed at young adults, but definitely enjoyable by anybody (well, maybe not hard core Christian fundie types, but almost anybody).
I’m also reading The Behavioral Neurology of White Matter, which is hardly “sucking my eyeballs.” It is interesting enough for me to do about 10-15 pages a day though.

I’m finishing up Isabelle Allende’s The Stories of Eva Luna, which is turning out to be a very welcome grab bag gift. It’s my first exposure to Allende, and it’s making me want to read some more of her work.

On deck is Jared Diamond’s Collapse, already mentioned by a number of people upthread. I saw him speak here in Chicago several weeks ago and he was incredible. If he comes to your fair city on the book tour, I highly recommend making the effort to see him.

I just finished Homeward Bound by Harry Turtledove. It was a disappointment and I only finished it because I’ve been reading the series so far and hate to quit at this point. But it was deadingly slow paced. Several hundred pages long and I could summarize the entire story in a paragraph.

I went out Friday night to Borders and picked up some new books. History’s Greatest Conspiracies (by H. Paul Jeffers) is different than I expected; it offers a more conservative viewpoint than most books of its genre. And I just started Carnage and Culture (by Victor Davis Hanson) last night; it’s a history of why western society has developed the most effective military system.

How cool is this – for once I’m familiar with most of the books people are reading.

I looked for English Passengers yesterday at the mall, but of course they didn’t have it. Off to Amazon, I guess.

I was reading The Knight by Gene Wolfe, got about halfway through, realized that despite the fine writing and intriguing premise, I didn’t care about any of the characters. So I dropped it. (Life’s too short, and I’m old.)

I picked up the first book from the pile by my bed, The Blue Place by Nicola Griffith – Norwegian noir – and I’m enjoying it.

I just finished Manifold: Space by Stephen Baxter. I probably read it a little too close to Manifold: Time. Baxter often leaves my had swimming, trying to wrap my mind around some of his larger concepts.

Currently I’m reading Red Mars by Kin Stanley Robinson, I’m a third of the way through and loving it. I’ll probably pick up the rest of the series.

I don’t have a book in the hole yet but I’ll be heading to the book store tommorrow, so I’ll be following this thread closely. Speaking of which, Landshark can you give me a synopsis on that Hamilton? Is it a new series? I loved Nightdawn Trilogy.

I thought that the only thing more brilliant than The Knight was its sequel. I admit, I am a die-hard Wolfean, but The Wizard damn near knocked my block off.

Since work has been progressively making me stupider and stupider, I needed an ambitious train reading project. I am translating the first six books of The Aeneid. It is cutting into my usual volume, but damn, it is well worth it. I started last month, and I think I will be finished sometime in early April.

Almost done with Ghost Rider by Neil Peart. True story of how he put his life back together after his only child and his wife both died within a year.