Merciful Heaven, I'm Sick!!!

Actually, I’m not entirely sure heaven is merciful – if it were, a bug as vicious, evil, and downright nasty as this wouldn’t be allowed to exist. Folks, it looks like today will be the fifth day in a row I’ve had a temperature of over 100 degrees F (37.7 C). My back hurts so badly I’m using a walking stick I picked up on a hike to get around my apartment. My voice is something between a croak and a rasp. I’m not sleeping well, but I feel exhausted. I don’t even have enough energy to worry about missing most of this week at work despite having only 2 sick days (you read it right, Euro-Dopers, 2.). I’m also nauseous and throwing up a bit.

I’m finally giving in and seeing a doctor today. I’m pretty sure it’s just the flu that’s been going around the office, but I’ve never been this feverish this long except possibly when I had mononucleosis. I’ve been in touch with my “Witch Doctor” (an old friend who’s both a Wiccan and a former Navy medical corpsman). I’ve put off seeing a real doctor because I’ve been fairly sure all he’ll tell me is “You’ve got the flu.” Enough is enough. A gentleman I’ve been seeing has today off, so he’ll drive me to the doctor and to get meds. Meanwhile, I’m back to camping on the couch semi-conscious with a good book and a good movie. Yes, I’m drinking as much as I can handle.

I realize there’s nothing you folks can do. This is simply a blatant plea for sympathy, although if Qadgop or eleanorrigby have any good advice, I’d like to hear it. Dear God, I dread moving or coughing, because moving and coughing makes me move my lower back which sends another spasm of agony through me, not to mention the coughing’s so harsh it sounds like I’m trying to cough up a lung. (That at least is a normal sign that I’m recovering, or at least it usually is.)

I’m sick, scared, and depressed, but mostly, I’m sick!!!

Get to that doctor pronto! When someone is that ill and says “My back hurts!”, Ms. Paranoid here always thinks “Meningitis!!!”

Hope you get better soon, Siege!!!

Prayers & good thoughts coming your way from ggurl!

Lurgy!

Siege, back pain with high temp could be a sign of a kidney problem. DO NOT forget to mention it to the Doctor. Of course it could be 'flu, but it might be something else that needs some antibiotics.

Doctors LIKE to see people with 5 days of fever, back pain, nausea and vomiting, because it’s not always 'flu. Pyelonephritis isn’t something you want to leave unattended. I’m not saying that’s what it is, I’m saying that is worst-case what it MIGHT be.

Good luck, hope it’s just (I know 'flu is awful, but it’s one of the better things it could be) 'flu. Get well soon, and I hope your friend has a good chicken soup recipe!

I was going to mention the kidneys as well. My daughter was really sick last year with a high fever, vomiting and back pain. When we took her in, she was diagnosed with a pretty serious infection to her bladder. Scary.

Sorry you’re so sick, Siege :frowning: . I had a nasty stomach bug earlier this week and it came complete with a horrible headache and The Worst Backache I have ever had in my whole life (well, except for three days of back labor with my daughter, but you KWIM). I’m sure yours is just part 'n parcel with the whole virus thing, but after 5 days, like others have said, it’s probably a good thing you’re going to the doc. Feel better soon!

Well, the verdict’s in. I have an ear infection, a sinus infection, gastroenteritis, and an inflamed lower back. I also have a total of 4 prescriptions! If you don’t hear from me this weekend, it’s because I’m doing some serious drugs. At least the doctor’s sensible. When I pointed out the nausea might cause some difficulties since all 4 are to be taken with food, he said take the anti-nausea medication, then eat, then take the remaining 3. I suppose I really do qualify as sick, now.

CJ

So many people have been sick this winter season. Something is going around, and its not good.

Shall i give the reply you’re expecting from me?

Or a nice one? :stuck_out_tongue:
You think you had a bad week? Look what happened to me.
Okay okay okay okay okay

Now for something that’ll really help. Way back in the early 80s, my brother and I were channel surfing on our brand new cable when we came across a TV preacher ranting about something. It seems he was healing pets with Holy Spirit. He said he even do this THRU THE TV! Yes, just lay your ailing kitty on top of the console and he would direct Holy Spirit towards the unfortunate and heal it.

Ever the entrepemanure-mided, I picked up our cat (who suffered from stupidity) and a video tape. I put the kitty on the TV and the tape in the VCR.

yes, I have a recording of God’s Holy Spirit.

If you need to borrow it for anything, just let me know.

Oh yeah, wrap a hot towell around your head. Worked for Feris. And get better!

Siege, I’m sendin’ healing prayers your way; it also helps to take the meds like the doc prescribed!

Hope your feeling lots better soon!

Thanks, friends. The gentleman’s out getting me dinner and I think I’ve been talked out of going to a Mensa Games Night. I haven’t driven my own car since Wednesday and I’ve only left the apartment to let the gentleman in or go to the doctor since then. In other words, I’m going stir-crazy!! At least the meds are working which means I can stand up without pain and move at a pace other than a slow hobble.

Now somebody please, get me outta here!!!

Look, the gentleman won’t be back for at least another 15 minutes, probably more like 30 and I swear I’ve got to escape!

Please?!

I know, I know. Rest up and take my meds. :sigh:

CJ
Oh, and NoClueBoy, congratulations! Since I think the gentleman’d be jealous if I moved out to your neck of the woods, she’d better be good enough for you. Great opening line!