Celebrities who come out for publicity

Douglas Coupland (author of Generation X and a succession of lesser novels) has finally come out. This is about as shocking as Bush having tried marijuana to those who have read him for years (I think that one was safely clocked long ago) and coincidentally coincides with the release of his new novel (Eleanor Rigby) which has received scathing reviews. I can’t quite shake the notion that this may be more than coincidental.

Richard Chamberlain not only remained closeted but actively denied and threatened lawsuit against those reporting “gay rumors” about him, but then came out about the same time his autobiography was released. George Michael discussed his sexuality for the first time after he was arrested in a men’s room (and some gay activists still embraced him). Argh!

How about coming out when you’re not in the middle of a scandal and when you’re not in need of publicity? Elton John was openly gay when there were no other gay stars of his magnitude, and while Sal Mineo wasn’t exactly white-hot in his career when he came out it was at least a gutsy move. Chamberlain otoh waits until his career is over and he’s richer than God (actually he always was) and generally untouchable, while Coupland comes out after his book sales have declined rapidly, his last signing tour tanked, and Sedaris and Burroughs are living proof that gay doesn’t hurt sales.

Point: well not much of one, this one’s lame, but it’s irritating that so few celebrities have the chutzpah to come out when their career is in full swing but then don’t just climb onto the pride float when their career goes south but are helped onto it. Irritating.

Your title had me all worked up to go rolly-eyes on your ass, but I agree with your OP. I’m glad being gay isn’t bad for anyone’s career anymore, but does it have to be so good as to induce publicity stunts?

Big damn drama queens… :smack:

While I may agree with your point about Chamberlain, I’ve gotta disagree about Douglas. His coming out was merely an acknowledgement that, yes he is gay, during an interview in the Advocate. That’s not exactly milking the announcement. It’s not like he’s ever denyed it. It’s just never been discussed. Do you rail at Lily Tomlin because she never made a big Coming Out annoucement?

And how do you say his signing tour “tanked”? I had a good time listening to him read and discuss things during the Q&A.

I haven’t finished Eleanor Rigby so I can’t say yet how well it compares to Hey Nostradamus! or Miss Wyoming; but to call those and his body of work “a succession of lesser novels” displays either pablum repeated without actually reading them or stupidity. (I’ll give you Shampoo Planet and Girlfriend in a Coma.)

And the charge of “scathing reviews” again sounds like you’re repeating something you’ve heard but have no actual knowledge. The book has received good reviews int The Guardian, the Telegraph, The Independent, The Boston Globe, the San Francisco Chronicle. The review in The New York Times may have been not so good, but that’s hardly the final say in the matter. Coupland’s quirky style is not for everyone. Read it yourself, then you can speak about it.

It shocks me, because after reading several of his books, I can’t believe the man is capable of doing anything even the slightest bit interesting.

Outta curiousity, I wondered if she ever did actually come out. It looks like she came out in 2001 but didn’t make a deal out of it. Good for her. Then again, she really didn’t need to as everyone kinda assumed/guessed/knew about her. She narrated “The Celuloid Closet” back in '95 so that was a bit of a giveaway.

That’s my point, stpauler. Coupland didn’t make a big deal out of his sexuality. Like Tomlin, he just answered a question asked by an interviewer. As far as I know, he’s never denied being gay, married a beard or pretended to be any thing he wasn’t. I really don’t get Sampiro’s ire.

Jesus, I gave Eleanor Rigby its own thread in Cafe Society, and it got zero responses. But now everyone’s ready to talk about Coupland’s homo-ness! :rolleyes:

Was that before or after he married that woman?

Why is homosexuality any more interesting than heterosexuality? Or any less interesting?

I must have missed it. Got a link and bump?

He might be gay, but I’m pretty sure he has a loving relationship… with his wife. Are you sure about that one? :confused:

Are you thinking about Paul McCartney? Elton John is seriously quite gay.

Had a relationship with his **ex-**wife, Renate Blauel, whom he married in 1984. They were married for 4 years. I have no idea if they are even in contact anymore.

Elton John has been with his partner, David Furnish, for 12 years, so Smiling Bandit might wish to update his Rolodex.

Sure, it would be nice if someone of the magnitude of Jodi Foster came out, but the troubles that have ensued for gay celebs who come out while they’re famous, e.g., Ellen Degeneres, would be enough to scare off any actor who wants to keep working. Rupert Everett came out, and his career has suffered ever since. Ian McKellen came out, but he’s older and not really a lead, so he can keep working as a character actor. People pay him to be Gandalf, not a romantic lead who gets the girl. Both Farley Granger and Tab Hunter came out in recent years, but that wasn’t news to anyone who follows showbiz gossip.

I don’t think that has as much to do with him coming out as much as him doing a film with Madonna and her black-widow-kiss-of-death bombs. I’m still not sure how Sean Penn survived that.

As for Ellen Degeneres, she seems to be doing alright with her talk show (renewed for 2005-2006) and Finding Nemo voice over. Her show, Ellen, tanked after she came out on it, but I blame the pisspoor writing. That show became unwatchable.

I like it. Recently an episode of a childrens tv show came out, that had a gay couple in one episode recently got so much publicity. I am sure many of you recall this. Gay family were not being sponsered by the show, or being held in any positive or negative light, they were simpley shown to exist. This enraged a large number of people. If more mentions of non-heterosexuals get into the media, then that’s good! Maybe those who get into an uprour about public visability will “go critical” and thus remove themselves from the gene pool.

It is important for queer people – especially queer youth. I hesitate to use the trite words “role models,” but let’s face it – it’s easier to be out, proud, and live a good life if you know there are people out there who’ve managed it, and become a resounding success. One of the first things people when they come out is look for others like them – in real life, in the larger world, and in history.

And since that information is so often covered up, even today, it’s doubly important.