Romances or attraction between humans and non-humans

Ray Bradbury wrote a story called “Death and the Maiden” The idea inspired a german comic strip entitled Der Tod und das Mädchen
available in bothenglish and german. (Yes, I know that “Todd” sounds like a boring name, but don’t tell him so. :smiley: )

In the kid’s Cartoon show “My life as a Teenage Robot”, a throwaway line show that the main character is dating a human, Brad (Yay! It’s no longer reading between the lines)

Also, there are many fan fiction stories based on ghost related movies and shows have romances between the main human and a ghost. In my opinion, they make an excellent case.

But really, these can not be the only examples. There has been so much history of literature, and fiction, that their must be at least one other, if not more. Anyone have any?

P.S. Oh, yeah, Leda and the Swan. Gods and people. Can’t forget that.

How on earth did I put this in GD? Oh, crud! I will never hear the end of this.

To say nothing of the special Highland bond between a man and his sheep… :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, there’s always John Collier’s His Monkey Wife (Collier also participated in the screenplay for The African Queen).

Women and livestock, man. Centaurs, the Minotaur, fauns and satyrs all came from somewhere, man.

Remember HER? Canada has a lot to answer for.

I was going to mention that whole affair that lead to the birth of the minotaur… Maybe Size was all she cared about?

Robert Silverberg’s “Majipoor Chronicles” had a story about just such a topic, a young woman living in the jungle who gets into a relationship with one of the other aliens who came to settle on Majipoor. It might have been a Skandar.

(Just wanted to note that the pairing of Death and the Maiden goes back WAY before Bradbury, who was pulling from an older tradition. Say, something like one of Hans Baldung Grien’s versions from fifteen-hundred and sumpin’-sumpin’.
Just sayin’.)
How about things like Narcissus and a reflection, or Pygmalion and a sculpture? Catherine the Great and. . .

I’ve been with Cathy. It ain’t that great.

The OP has already mentioned mythology. Greco-Roman mythology is especially (in?)famous for human/nonhuman pairings, sometimes consensual, but most often not. (How many classical paintings are titled “The Rape of…”?)

Xanth is full of cross-species pairings, thanks to a Love Spring (which, apparently, is also a Lust Spring), and in fact one of the characters postulate that Xanth is the magical land it is because they’re so open-minded and tolerant about doing it with other things. :rolleyes:

Humans are, of course, the most prolific breeders in the known universe, as evidenced by all the half-whatevers in D&D. (Both the human and the orc must have been mightily drunk.)

A lot of manga have human/other pairings, with either comic and tragic results. And sometimes both. (Ah! My Goddess, A.I. Love You, Dragon Ball Z, Hellsing, Inu-Yasha, Record of Lodoss War, and Trigun are just a few I can name off the top of my head.)

In later Star Trek seris it seemed that many romantic pairings shown involved humans and non-humans, or different non-humans. Trill and Klingon, Bajoran and founder, Klingon and Betazid, Neelix and whoever she was, the short lifer. And the one crewmember of Voyager, who had her baby alone after they were stranded in the Delta Quadrant, her husband wasn’t human. And didn’t the holographic doctor hook up with a human when they got home, or was that one of those “alternate timelines” episodes.?

Lailari and Tech Sergeant Chen - Galaxy Quest

Hey guys, get a room…oh, that’s not right!

Alt-timeline. The last episode of the series is when they finally got home.

God, these are all great.

Blame Canda!

I loved that! I am going off to find if there is some fanfiction based on the idea of society finding out that she is not human. If not, I will rewatch it and maybe write my own.

Any favorite couples?

Then there’s whatshisname. The one who lives in Metropolis. :cool:

“Helen O’Loy” by Lester del Rey (one of the first human/robot romances)
The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee
The Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov implies that human/robot sex is going on, but is considered taboo.
“And I Awoke to Find Me Here on the Cold Hill Side” by James Tiptree, Jr.
“Your Haploid Heart” by James Tiptree, Jr., which, among other things, says that if any alien species is interfertile with humans, there will be children, implying that humans will have sex with any alien species they meet.
“The Munij Deserters” by Chuck Rothman

I have a graphic novel version illustrated by Trina Robbins.

So you’re saying you were hung like a horse? :dubious:

Oh yeah, I remember him. John Jones, The Martian Manhunter. I remeber him. His kid Brother. His kid brother was named T’omm. (Detective Comics no. 286) At least I think that’s who you are talking about. There are so many alien superheros, that I have problems telling them apart. :stuck_out_tongue: