How do you accumulate sick/personal leave & vacation time at work?

Just out of curiosity:

How do you accumulate sick leave at your work?

How about other personal leave time, if they count it separately?

Vacation time?

Do you lose any of the above hours if you don’t use them?

Can you come in late or leave early if you have to?

Since I teach at a community college part time, I accumulate one hour of sick leave for every 18 hours that I teach. So that comes out to one hour for every two weeks if I carry three 3-unit classes. It accumulates indefinitely. Also, when I left another community college last year, I took my sick leave from there and transferred it to the new place. I just recently heard that unused sick leave converts to retirement credit if you’re in STRS.

I can take personal necessity leave as long as I state a reason, but under our new contract, it will no longer be necessary to give a reason. The limit on this type of leave is five days per year. It counts as 60% of one’s sick leave.

We profs don’t get vacation leave, so we just do our vacation thing during breaks, holidays, etc.

If I’m going to be late, I have to notify my division office so they can post the door. I am not supposed to let classes out too early.
And you?

I accrue a certain number of PTO (Paid Time Off) hours each pay period (every two weeks). How many hours depends on how many years you’ve been with the company; for me it adds up to 3 weeks per year.

PTO hours are used for both vacation time and sick leave. In California, there is a law against the “use it or lose” policy, so thay can’t take away time that you have not used. What they can do is prevent you from accruing any additional PTO once you have reached a certain level. I’m not sure what that level is, but I think it’s somewhere around 6 weeks for us.

In addition to accrued PTO, we also get three “floating holidays” every year. This is because our office is open on Presicent’s Day, Martin Luther King JR’s Birthday, and the Friday after Thanksgiving, all of which are holidays for many companies. In exchagnge for having to work those das, we get the three additional days of PTO.

I’m a federal employee with more than 15 years of service. I earn 8 leave hours every 2 weeks, or 26 days a year. We are allowed to carry over 240 hours at the end of the leave year. Any beyond that is lost, unless there are special circumstances, like national emergency which requires us to work without taking leave. I’ve never been in that situation - I pretty much use all my earned leave every year. I started this year with 20 hours on the books.

All employees, regardless of longevity, earn 4 hours every 2 weeks, or 13 days a year. These never expire, and upon retirement, the hours all go away. Employees under the older retirement plan get those hours added to their total service, but I’m under the new program, so unless I get really sick before retirement, I get nothing.

We get no personal days, and if you use sick leave, you better be sick, caring for an immediate family member who is sick, going to a doctor/dental appointment, or attending the funeral of an immediate family member. I had a coworker who had the bad luck to get sick many, many Fridays… :rolleyes:

I’m a contract worker doing Internet research. No sick leave, no vacation time, no health insurance. It sucks to be in this situation, but there are very few options open to me, so I’m lucky to have a job. And I love the work that I do, so I get an emotional payoff from the good feelings about the work.

I’m a salaried long-term contract employee (not permanent staff), so I don’t vacation days per se. Permenant staff get three weeks vacation per year, or more if they’ve been with the company longer. Contract employees don’t get the vacation time off, but instead I get 6% vacation pay on every check. (6% extra pay works out to the equivalent of three weeks of salary per year).

In addition to vacation pay, I get one paid PTO (personal time off) per month. One PTO = 7 hours (length of workday). I can accrue up to 3 PTOs and then I have to use at least one of them, so that at any one time I have a maximum of 3 PTOs “banked”.

My company is very good about flex-time. The core work hours are 9am to 3pm, and as long as you’re in then, and you work 7 hours per day, it’s all good. If you need to come in late or leave early, you can just make up the time later on.

Permanent employees get one sick day (General Illness Day) per month, and can accrue a maximum of twelve. Since I’m a contract employee I don’t get Sick Days, and if I miss work due to illness I have to use any banked PTOs. If I use those up, then I just wouldn’t get paid for my days off sick. In reality though, my boss just lets me work some extra time to make up for the missing sick time, so they don’t end up having to take the missing day off my paycheck.

I do contract work but I do it as an employee for a company that finds me jobs. I get somewhere around ten percent of my billable hours as personal time that I can use for vacation or to get a paycheck when they can’t find me work. I have the option of taking it all up front in my paycheck but I don’t. Why? It’s the benefits. I’m on the health plan as long as they’re paying me and I can’t get coverage as cheap as they provide.

I get 20 days of PTO a year, plus three ‘floating holidays’ like Suburban Plankton described. (Actually, since New Year’s day was on a weekend this year, we get a 4th floating holiday in 2005).

We can carry over up to 40 days of total PTO from year-to-year. We can’t carry over floating holidays, so you just make sure the first 3 (4) days of vacation you use in a year are your floating holidays.

Right now I will have 48 vacation days at the end of the year, assuming I don’t use up some of them. But I will.

Geez, so I could take off of work for 9 weeks and still get all my paychecks…

Read your employee handbook!! :smack:

I’m a cop, with over 17 years on the job.

I accrue 8 hours of sick leave per month, with no maximum. If I stay until retirement, I get 100% of my sick time paid out (if I quit before then, I get 50%). Since I currently have about seven months on the books and twelve years to go to retirement, that should be one hell of a check!

I also accrue 17 hours of vacation time per month, to a maximum of 300 hours (as long as I’m under 300 hours on December 31, it carries over to the next year). In addition, when I go three months without using any sick time, I get an additional four hours of vacation time. So every fourth month I earn 21 hours of vacation time rather than 17.

We also get 12 holidays per year, but due to the nature of the job we can’t actually take the time off. If I’m off on a holiday, I still get paid for a full shift. If I work on the holiday, I get the full shift pay plus overtime (totaling 2.5 times my regular rate of pay). The pay for those holidays is banked and we get a very nice check just before Thanksgiving every year. I don’t have to think about saving money for Christmas.

All in all, a very sweet deal, and I know that I’m very lucky to work here.

I get 5 full days of sick leave every year I work. They accumulate limitlessly; I have about 20 saved up now. I also get an additional 15 per year at 75% pay, which also accumulate endlessly.

Vacation is separate; I got 3 weeks a year until this year, I’m now up to 4 a year. We also get three designated floaters. There’s other types of special leave too - parental leave, bereavement, etc.

We can only carry over one week of vacation to the next fiscal year, though if you have a good reason you can carry over more. It’s considered important here that you take all your vacation.

Usually.

We get five sick days a year. They don’t build up but any that are unused at the end of the year get paid out at 50%.

Vacation I believe is a base of two weeks after you work a year. I’m up to three weeks – and one of the few people in the company who’ve been around long enough to get three weeks (7+ years).

I know there’s something on the books about bereavement time but I don’t think it’s paid time off.

On the other hand, my supervisor has always been pretty casual and understanding about half days or coming in an hour late due to “real life” issues like parent-teacher conferences, doctor’s appointments and what-have-you.

I’ve got over 80 hours saved up at this point, and many of them were hours I brought with me from the other campus, where I worked for 11.5 years. There are those who have many, many more hours than that.

I’m glad they’re getting rid of the requirement that we state a reason for taking personal necessity leave, because sometimes you just need a day for reasons that may not be on the list, and we don’t enjoy fibbing or pretending to be ill. (Illness does not need documentation unless it’s in excess of one week, and it can be hard to get people to sub at a college although it’s certainly possible.)

Where I’m at, we get 25 days of PTO per year to start. That’s vacations and sick time. Think it goes up to 30 days after 5 years with the company, and so on. There’s quite a few people who’ve been here for over 30 years, so they get a lot of PTO.

We can only “roll over” five days to the next calendar year.

The annoying thing is that starting this year for my department, management wanted us to schedule all of our time off for the year by the end of February. OK, so I’ll be sick on November 10 and 11, and out with the flu, the week of December 26-30. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, we’re loosely managed from several states away, so as long as passwords are reset and requests are completed on time, we have a fair bit of leeway with getting in on time in the morning and nobody seems to mind the occasional two or three hour lunch if a doctor appointment is rolled up in there somewhere.

I suggest you check out the OPM web site. There are a number of special leave categories above and beyond what you stated.

I’m a DoD employee. I get 30 days a year. We can save up to 60; at the end of the fiscal year I lose anything beyond that unless I’ve been deployed for a certain amount of time. At one point, I think I had 85 days of leave on the books. Right now I have around 70. I tend to be so busy that it’s hard to take large amounts of leave. If I leave the military, I will have the option of selling that leave back (up to 60 days, I think).

If I’m not deployed, I get all the usual holidays. If I’m sick or something else requires my attention (family issues, other appointments), I can arrive late or leave early or even take the whole day off. If I’m deployed, the closest thing I get to a real holiday is probably a fake turkey dinner at the chow hall.

I’m unique. I don’t get any paid time off…sorta. See, I work 7 days on/7 days off. I work 7 10-hour shifts in a row, then I get a week off. But, although I only work 70 hours, I get paid for 80 (assuming I work all my hours - it’s prorated if I work less). I get that extra 10 hours every two weeks in exchange for the fact that I have to work weekends and holidays and also instead of PTO. Theoretically, I should be banking that extra money so if something happens and I have to miss work, I’ll have that to fall back on. But what it boils down to is that if I’m not at work, I’m not getting paid (and I’d better have a darned good reason for not being there).

I’m a salaried employee and get 42 days leave per year plus 14 days sick leave. After 10 years I’m entitled to 3 months “long service leave” this can actually be taken after 7 years on a pro rata basis and is fairly standard in Australia. All leave accrues but any accrued sick leave will not be paid out on termination of employment, only annual and long service leave.

On the flip side of the coin I get NO public holidays and “weekend” is a meaningless term.

Oh, and the company can force me to take any leave accured over 42 days but I haven’t heard of it happening.

I accrue 1.5 days of vacation and 1.25 days of sick leave a month.

There is no limit on the amount of sick time that can accrue, but I can have no more than 40 vacation days - if I reach 40 days, I acumulate no more until I take some.

There are no problems with coming in late or leaving early if I need to.

I accrue 20 days “recreation” leave each year and 10 days “long service” leave which is basically the same thing. I work Monday to Friday and get the 10 public holidays off unlike 1920s Style “Death Ray” who gets extra leave in compensation. All shift workers including police, firies and nurses get extra leave too.

I get some fixed number of sick days but I don’t know how they accumulate. I take the odd day off sick but I still manage to have hundreds of days of accumulated leave. So do most people it seems, I have never heard of anyone running out.

I can take other days of “Family and Community Service” leave to tend sick kids or help ailing relatives or play golf (just kidding of course…golf is flex leave).

Our whole system is based on Flexi-time. I have to work 35 hours a week or 455 hours per quarter. How I do that is up to me and my boss. I can take off 6 flex days per quarter and make up the hours on other days. At the moment, for instance, I am about 40 hours up on the clock and if my boss agreed I could take off the next 6 days and use no leave at all. I could save the time for the end of the quarter and build up some for the start of the next quarter and take two consecutive lots of 6 days if it was OK for me to have leave. I can also take my flex leave as 12 1/2 days.

I can start and finish any time between 7am and 7pm although my finish time must be at least 6 hours after my start time. I can have a lunch break of 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours in there when I like.