Is a gift appropriate for and adult baptism?

A close friend is converting to Catholicism, and I’m invited to her baptism. She’s in her mid-to-late-20’s or so. I’ve never been to an adult baptism. (or any baptism, acutally…) Is a gift approprite? If so, what kind and price range?

I think a gift is certainly not necessary. A card would be sufficient, I’m sure. But it’s definitely not inappropriate, either. If you’re so inclined to give your friend a gift, I say go for it! As to price range, that is entirely up to you. What do you want to spend? What can you afford? As with any gift, there’s no need to go beyond your means.

A Christian bookstore would probably have some reasonably priced gift ideas. For a religious event such a baptism or confirmation, I almost always give a religious gift or money. This this is a close friend, I’m guessing you’ll want to give something more personal than money. Another idea would be to collect something from her memorable day, preserve it somehow with a plaque noting the date, and give it to her afterward.

If it was one of those all-over baptisms, I’d recommend a gift certificate for 5 free SCUBA classes, but maybe that’s just me…

My standard religious gift is a rosary. There are hundreds of styles and colors, so you can choose one that reminds you of your friend. It’s personal without being too involved.

It’s a great idea. Not necessary, but certainly a nice thought (and it will definitely be unexpected).

Since she’s a Catholic a rosary is a good idea. A good study Bible is also a good all-purpose gift for all denominations (a Dake’s would be perfect if she’s really into Bible study). Or you could find out her favorite Christian author (CS Lewis?) and get one of their books.

I think your presence is all the gift necessary, but if you want to give something to commemorate the occasion, I’d agree with the rosary idea. Or maybe a crucifix necklace. If you decide to give a Bible, you’ll probably want to make sure it’s a Catholic version, and please forgive me if you already knew that.

I do like the idea of something from the day itself. Will there be a program or anything? Is the day related to a particular saint? Or maybe she has a favorite saint. Something connected to that might be appropriate, maybe a necklace or a devotional booklet or something like that.

If there is a Catholic bookstore or such near you I’m sure they could make some suggestions.

I think a rosary is a wonderful gift for any new Catholic.

StG

The one thing that would concern me about a rosary or a study Bible or even a something commemorating that day is the concern that one might be innundated with such gifts.

One rosary is wonderful, two is nice, three is excessive type thing? Of course, I don’t know this person or how big the family might be or how many others might be invited. I just wanted to point out the potential downside.

IIRC, adult Catholic baptisms also include what would be in a Confirmation for a younger person, so if you find out what her Confirmation/patron Saint name is ahead of time you could do something based on that as someone else suggested…a book on the life of that saint, a pilgrim medallion (which could be added to a rosary someone else got her), something like that.

But yes, if you want to get a present it’s perfectly appropriate.