People who are Easily Amused, what's their problem!

Am i the only person who can’t stand people who laugh about every silly thing?! I cant’ remember a movie I’ve seen that actually made me laugh out loud, well John Leguizamo’s standup comedy perhaps, but NOT a movie… lately, my own bf is getting on my nerves because he’s starting to really laugh hard at the stupidist mundane things that i just wanna reach out and smack him one! Im starting to wonder if these goofy-laughing types are really hiding something.

bored, but you must’ve guessed that by now.

Probably not.

People who laugh at John Leguizamo’s standup routine don’t have any room to discuss what other people laugh at. I don’t laugh at every little thing at the movies but sometimes I do laugh out loud. Maybe your boyfriend is just a bit more boisterious then you.

Marc

I guarantee you most of the Easily Amused wouldn’t bat an eye at, say, a short story by S.J. Perelman or the Dick Cavett variety of chatter an older generation knew as “repartée.” Their favorite topics rank roughly as follows:

1. Anything someone they know personally did
  2. Anything that happened to them personally
  3. Anything they personally did
  4. Anything that happened to someone they know
  5. Fart jokes
  6. Anything anybody said, rather than did or had happen to them

Oh you sour puss! Laughing is good for you. Grumps like you will die earlier then smokers like me :wink:

Seriously…take a leaf out of your bf’s book. Laugh a bit more often. It doesn’t hurt!

Ha! :smiley: You’re right! Those types crack me up! :smiley:

As my wife pointed out to me long ago, being easily amused just means you get to be amused more often. And there are few things funnier than someone who can’t take a joke.

Daniel

Points at ur8it HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Here is a chance for me to promote a local band Easily Amused

Enjoy!

I noticed this when going to a movie at the local arts cinema. People were laughing at the stupid commercials before the movie as if they were the funniest thing ever. Not the coming attractions, the commercials. :rolleyes:

I don’t know why, but that really annoyed me. If you’re that amused by commercials, you’re either high or really, really easily amused.

Were they Superbowl quality commericals?

I don’t watch the Superbowl, but no, I don’t think so.

They were like commercials for Coke and stereo equipment, but with funny surroundings like Japan. Evidently Japan is hilarious to some people.

Laughter is good for you!

But people who laugh at every little thing are generally nervous - not amused, from my observations.

Two movies that did make me laugh out loud: My Cousin Vinnie and The Full Monty.

The older I get, the more easily I am amused. I laugh at stuff now that I wouldn’t have been caught dead laughing at twenty years ago.

Thank god I don’t have to worry about appearances any more; it’s so much more fun to just enjoy the funny things that pass by.

Different things amuse different people and to different degrees. Years back, my sister and I watched MP & The Holy Grail together for the first time. I damn near hawked up a testicle I was laughing so hard, yet she kept looking at me and saying “What’s so funny?”

Than again, while everyone around me was dying during Animal House, the most I could produce was a few smiles and chuckles.

Guilty as charged

I laugh at every little thing - even commercials. Well, everything except Mallard Fillmore - even I have some standards.
I don’t like Adam Sandler type noise humor, but love J.S. Perlman. Liked Dick Cavitt till I saw him for the pretentious twit that he is.

The reason I find many commercials funny is that they are so surreal because the people in them care SO MUCH about whatever is being sold.

My favorite is a magazine ad for a cake mix that makes into a 9X9 smaller cake. The ad pictured what would happen if the unfortunate housewife didn’t use this mix. It showed a Dad, girl and boy sitting at a dinner table. In front of them was a large cake - and they were miserable. Dad was staring at the cake like it was a road kill possum, son was glaring at Mom - “How could you?”. The mother was in back ground - upset and miserable. She had failed her family. Her crime? She made a cake that was too big. The horror. If you can’t see the humor in a scene that portrays a large cake as tantamount to clubbing baby seals, then there’s something wrong with you.

I hear about the Easily Amused all the time. My wife is not a comedian. I don’t think I have ever heard her tell a joke. But she is good with words, and can be silly. Nearly every day, she tells me one of her meetings was derailed by copious laughter because she said something that everybody found hilarious. She wasn’t trying to be funny, and when she tells me what she said, I have to wonder what was funny about it.

So, I also have to wonder. If the people she works with are able to bust a gut over the most mundane turn of phrase, what would happen to them if they were exposed to comedy?

A person’s sense of humor is a very personal thing. I never begrudge someone who laughs at something that is reasonably (IMO) amusing. In fact, it’s downright amusing when someone laughs out loud at something I only find mildly amusing. Having said that … there’s a fine line between being amused all the time and being goofy. Goofy is not a good thing. But I’d be much more worried about someone who is amused at obviously not funny things, like tragedies or disasters.

I laugh at everything, because I love to laugh. Everything. From the wittiest, most ironic zinger, to the mundane adverts, if a character raises an eyebrow funny. I’ve learned to stop hoarding my laughter for the “deserving” over the years, after learning that I was the one who deserved it.

But then again, I had ulcers when I was 17, two nervous breakdowns before graduating from highschool… so, you know, in the words of Carl Carlson: “If I didn’t have inner peace, I’d completely go psycho on all you guys, all
the time.”

I understand that some people can’t stand it. However, I do not care. It’s their problem to sort out, not mine - I’m happy. :smiley:

That describes me pretty well too, minus the ulcers.

Ok, I realize laughing is good for you, and maybe SOME people who dont laugh as much might have a tendency to develop ulcers–I DON’T have any ulcers, I have great skin, and overall good health… I don’t REFUSE to laugh, I simply don’t find certain behavior funny, period… and faking a laugh is out of the question… also strange is that sometimes I’ll say something that was not meant to be funny and people crack up! That’s odd too, i mean, I ask them what was so funny about what I said and they’ll tell me, “you don’t know??” and then they laugh some more!!!

Alright here’s a tester: WHO thought “Lost in Translation” w/Bill Murray was funny??? Ohhh lordy, that was about as funny as a dead gnat!