How does Cecil pronounce Cecil?

I always assumed it was SEE-s’l, but now that I think of it, I don’t know of anyone with the name who pronounced it that way. I could be mistaken, but I think both Cecil B. De Mille and Cecil Rhodes pronounced it SEH-s’l. My dictionary admits either pronunciation.

According to one source, Cecil means “blind.” Gee, I hope he sees this question and answers it.

How about Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent?

He probably pronounces it “me”.

With the royal ‘C’. “SEE-s’l”.

Cecil’s all-too brief TV show pronounced it SEE-s’l

My husband’s brother’s name is Cecil, and he pronounces it SEE-s’l. (As does hubby’s uncle of the same name.) FWIW.

He pronounces it “Ed Zotti”. :D:D:D:D (ducking and running)

just kickin’ it to where Cecil will see it.

This topic came up just 3 months ago (here). Cecil didn’t answer it then.

I miss Cecil. Come back man! <sobs>

He doesn’t have to answer it with hoardes of fans (like phobos and me) out here to answer it for him.

Is the SEE-s’l way just the way American’s say it?
Anybody I know would always say SEH-s’l .

No, I’ve heard Americans say/be called SEH-sil. Like the baseball player, Cecil Fielder. I’ve never heard him refered to as SEE-sil.

SEE-s’l. Just take Phobos’ and my word for it.

Karmageddon: It’s like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it’s like a serious bummer.

Thanks for the link. I swear I searched the SDMB for anything remotely like that. Why didn’t I see it?

Thanks for the answer. I never saw the show since it was already off the air before I knew it existed.

The correct way, by definition.

Sort of a funny story- a friend emailed me to tell me he got engaged to a woman named Cheri. I wrote back asking how to pronounce her name. He said he pronounces it shaREE, but she pronounces it like Sherry. I suggested maybe she knows the best way to say her own name.

No, it’s only written ‘Cecil’ - it’s pronounced “Throat-Warbler Mangrove” (apologies to non-Monty Python fans)

Oops - just noticed that in the thread referred to above, someone already did that Python quote. How unoriginal of me.

Regarding the OP - in England I only ever heard the name pronounced “Sess-sil”, whereas “See-sil” seems to be the American version?