Spironolactone and sulphur allergies

If you are taking spironolactone, why is it important to let your doctor know you’re allergic to sulphur?

I guess from this link, spirolactone is metabolized into sulphur containing compounds.

According to Wikipedia, the chemical formula is C24H32O4S, which makes it a sulfur based compound. I’m not a chemist, biologist, or what-have-you, but I’d venture a guess that somebody allergic to Sulfur based compounds could possibly be allergic to either spironolactone itself or (if it breaks down) its breakdown components.

However, I have never heard of anybody being allergic to Sulfur. In fact, I’ve never heard of anybody allergic to a specific element. But then again, as I’ve said, I’m not a doctor.

It’s probably not an allergy to sulfur the element, but, as already said, “sulfur-containing compounds”, such as “sulfa drugs”.

Sulfur is used in a variety of organic molecules for a variety of purposes. I’m not famillar with all the categories, however, if a person was (as an example) sensitive to a sulfa drug then they are much more likely to have a bad reaction to any other sulfa drug and it might be wise to choose alternatives (if they exist). That’s just one instance where knowing a person’s sensititivies/allergies could be extremely important.

Ah, crikey.

Of course I meant sulpha, not sulfur.

Where’s the ::imadork:: smiley???