Empire on ABC

http://channels.netscape.ca/entertainment/article.adp?id=20050623101109990009

Haven’t heard much about this, but I’m intrigued. First two hours are tonight. Has it been overshadowed by HBO’s Rome? I never watch ABC, so maybe I just missed all the hype. On the other hand, I haven’t seen any billboards or anything.

Anyone hear anything about it?

I’m gonna watch, because lately I’ve been happy with ABC. I feel like I owe them something for Lost and Desperate Housewives.

I haven’t heard anything about it, one way or the other.

I looked at the listing at IMDB. The only familiar name is Colm Feore, from Storm of the Century. Kim Manners is a director, and there were a bunch of X-Files episodes in her credits. (I’m assuming Kim is a she, but I could be wrong.)

I’m tickled about seeing some new faces.

I tried to watch it first time around; I really tried. I mean, look at the cast if nothing else. I have to admit, though, that I gave up on it after about 45 minutes. It wasn’t bad so much as feeling mechanical in it’s structure. First 30 minutes: Exposition. Next 15 minutes: Setup, and so on.

Again, it wasn’t bad. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for a leisurely drama with no car chases :slight_smile:

How did you get to see it already? Or do you mean Empire Falls, the HBO movie?

First time around? I was under the impression this was brand new.

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about Empire Falls, especially since he said “look at the cast” – Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Helen Hunt, Ed Harris.

Empire (the Roman epic on ABC starting tonight) has actually received some pretty good reviews. Hollywood Reporter and even the New York Times give the series a decent review. Try Google and go to News and down to entertainment section to see all the recent reviews.

Looks like the mini-series might be worth watching.

Man, my apologies. Yes it was Empire Falls. That’ll teach me to try to post on the sly at work.

Can’t wait to see Empire. If anybody can do it right, it’ll be HBO.

sigh…Poor Yorik.

I read that it was actually filmed on location in Italy, not on a sound stage somewhere. That had to be expensive!

I don’t expect anything of the quality of I, Claudius, but I’ll certainly give this a try. Colm Feore is one of my favorite actors, and I think he should make a marvelous Julius Caesar.

ABC’s doing Empire. HBO’s doing Rome – it’s coming this fall sometime. :slight_smile:

No, I wasn’t drunk when I posted, but wish I had been, just for the excuse. I swear, I can usually hold my head up and be fairly aware of my surroundings. That’s what I get for skimming the board at work.

:wally <-- me

I’ve been hot for Ancient Rome ever since reading Colleen McCullough’s Master of Rome series. Lady did 12 years of research before she put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard, as the case may be.)

So I will be staying up past my bedtime to watch.

It’s on in the Eastern timezone… the visuals are amazing (especially on HD). Filming in Italy really paid off so far.

Though the one thing that made me cringe was the whole Caesar wants to take power ‘from the influential few and give it to the people’ crap. I mean why is it in every modern Roman tale, the protagonist wants to give power to the people. I doubt anyone close to power really thought much of the people. I’m sure the Senate didn’t turn on Caesar because he was trying to give power to the people. Ugh… hopefully they don’t play that up.

Re: spoiler

Boy are you outta luck.

I’m watchng to see if they have any hot slavegirl action mixed in with all the epic stuff. SOMEBODY has to do it 0:)

Yeah, I noticed :(. That sucked. Hopefully HBO’s “Rome” doesn’t feel it has to do things like that.

Oh, and

Uber-gladiator is getting annoying. It’s like Jack Bauer in Roman slave garb! Have him take on the barbarians… Rome never had to fall!!

Well, he did want that. It’s just that the people he wanted to give the power to were all named “Caesar”

I switched channels at the first commercial break. I think HBO and PBS have spoiled me for drama.

It’s the commercials. I don’t mind them during sitcoms or reality shows, but an epic, original, historical drama shouldn’t be interrupted every 10 or 15 minutes. Takes me right out of the story.