Where were you when the Eagle landed? (for Dopers old enough to remember)

On this day in 1969, Apollo 11’s Lunar Module Eagle touched down in the Sea of Tranquility on the Moon.*

Where were you when it happened? What were you doing?

I was 19 years old and working at Gibson’s Discount Center in Pittsburg KS. There were televisions set up around the store to monitor the event, and when Neil Armstrong stepped out of the lander, everyone stopped work and gathered in front of the televisions to watch.

*I stole this sentence from Johnny L.A. over in MPSIMS.

I’m old enough to remember, but I don’t. (I was in the single digits at the time.) I remember watching every launch, but I don’t remember them individually. I do remember Apollo 13. We were taken out of our classrooms and brought to the auditorium, where a colour TV was set up so that we could watch the recovery. But I don’t specifically remember watching the Moon landing.

As for where I was, I was in San Diego.

I remember my father waking me up just when they were getting ready exit the lunar module. I watched it live in my pajamas, and promised myself that I would grow up to be an astronaut.

I never realized how the world almost missed that broadcast until 2001, when I saw the movie “The Dish”. I’m really thankful that those Aussies were on the job that night.

Yeah, that’s a very good movie; another one I like but many have never heard of.

I was 13 and I’m my home in Orlando, FL and remember watching the launch from my front yard and watching the landing on TV. We could feel and hear it after a delay of maybe 15-20 seconds.
Same with Apollo 13. I followed that one as if a family member were on board.

I was exactly nine months old, so I don’t recall it as such. My father had me sitting up with him, listening to every word. He decided that it was too important for even someone that young to miss it.

Location - The womb

Activity - Gestating

Unfortunately I missed out by about 7 months. Oh well it doesn’t matter as it was all a conspiracy anyway :wink:

I was 12 and my father worked on the project (as an electronics engineer, designing some of the doohickies in the backpacks), so I was definitely watching.

Watching the whole thing on TV (B&W). My youngest son was just 5 months old, but the older two were watching as well. It’s odd but I don’t think I’ve ever asked the older two if they remember any of it.

I did a bit of checking to verify that this was a particularly noteworthy period. In addition to the moon landing there were the Tate-LaBianca murders by the Manson family, Teddy Kennedy’s mishap at Chappaquiddick and Woodstock, all in just a matter of weeks. Heavy.

As was I. Born in October 1969…

However, today is my mother’s birthday…so in-directly and slightly digested, I did have Cake! :slight_smile:

I don’t recall the actual event, but I do remember that I started 1st grade that August and it was incorporated into our lessons.

M-O-O-N spells “moon.”

That was also the first year for Sesame Street, IIRC.

I was home, all I can really remember was that they landed and then nothing for a long time. I was a kid, I expected them to land and just hop out and wander around or something.

I was kicked back in a bassinet, soiling cloth diapers, and looking forward to my first birthday, less than a month away.

I was drunk, and probably smoking.

I was twelve years old, glued to the TV set. I remember how disappointed I was in the first TV transmissions because they were so grainy. But then I thought, “Damn, this is coming from the moon!”

Nothing as remotely as cool as this has happened since, and probably won’t again in my lifetime.

8 years old, I remember watching the first moonwalk on the Grandfathers TV.

My Mom & Dad let me stay home from grade school (1st? 2nd?) to watch iy on TV.

In utero.

Mom has assured me, though, that as loud as Dad and my brother had the TV on, I surely heard everything in there :stuck_out_tongue:

I was traveling with my husband in Germany at the time. We saw it on a TV in a store or hotel lobby or something. Of course it was dubbed in German, so we couldn’t understand what they were saying. The German folks were really excited about it. After all, many of the scientists involved in the project were German, having come to the U.S. after WWII. So it was like “Hey, look what OUR guys did!”

I was 8 at the time. The whole family gathered around the TV. I don’t remember thinking it was much of a big deal. I guess I just expected it to be more exciting, more action or something.

my favorite bit of moon trivia:
the astronauts carried a slide rule to do critical computations.
They were controlling the greatest, most sophisticated high-tech device ever engineered in history—but the pocket calculator hadn’t been invented yet.

It was two weeks before my seventh birthday, camping with my parents and watching it on a 12 V, black and white, 9 inch TV. My dad had set the TV outside so we could look at the moon and look at the TV at the same time. I could not get over the fact that I was actually watching it twice * at the same time.*