The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 07-27-2005, 05:15 AM

I dislike tattoos. Who else does?

I hate the fact that tattoos are trendy. I have never seen a tattoo that I liked, no matter how interesting or artistic - I just don't believe that art belongs permanently inscribed upon one's skin. For me this is nothing more than a matter of personal opinion. I would never criticize anyone to their face for getting a tattoo if they wanted one, because everyone is free to do as he or she pleases. But I personally do not like looking at tattoos.

I hate the tribal tattoos that so many frat-type guys have - what do you think you are, some kind of warrior from New Guinea? You're a business major from Bumfuck, Middle America. Are you really going to want that tattoo when you're 65?

I hate the flowery/flourishy/tribal-esque small-of-the-back tats that every damn girl in college with a tight body and a tan seems to come back from Spring Break with. The next time I see a girl with one of those, I'm going to stare down the crack of her ass until she asks me to stop, and then tell her I was only looking at her tattoo. If she doesn't like that I'll ask her why she got it in the first place, and then showed it off with her low-rise jeans besides.

These tattoos are the kinds that irritate me the most, even though I don't really like the idea of tattoos in general. I didn't want to put this in the pit because I'm not really condeming anyone or calling them less of a man/woman, I'm just sharing my personal feelings on the matter. If you have a tattoo, I don't hate you - I don't even wish that you didn't have the tattoo. It's your body and your life, and you are free to do whatever you want. If you like it, do it! But I don't like it.

I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on this. I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of people with tattoos, since they seem to be very popular.
Advertisements  
Old 07-27-2005, 05:54 AM

I'm a big lover of body modding, but I'm with you on the mallrat/frat jock trend. If I see one more idiot 17-year-old with Winnie the Pooh or some poorly drawn fairy on her shoulderblade, all the while screaming about "I was SOOO FUCKING DRUNK WHEN I GOT THIS!", I'm gonna.. well. Nothing. Just stew in my juices, I guess.

Argh. Just... argh. You numb cunt, that's going to be there the rest of your life. Every time you wear a tank top, every time you want to wear a SO AWESOME strapless gown, every time you wear a swimsuit. You had damn well better LOVE you some Pooh bear or that ugly ass fairy!

Leave the tattoos to freaks like me who think about them forever, plot them out, have them drawn up by 60 different people, and pay an arm and a leg.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:12 AM

I agree with you on the ubiquitous tribals and small of the back tattoos. It's kind of like how Harleys became the new status symbol for accountants, attorneys and business execs. Back in the day, a dude worked his ass off at the plant for his Harley and poured endless hours maintaining and babying it. These new Harley owners take their bikes to the shop for a simple oil change and don't deserve to call their machines "hogs."

I have 3 tattoos, myself. But they're all in places that are covered when I'm in public. I got them because they're a very personal and permanent reminder of certain stages of my life, and not even close to the trendy styles young folks opt for.

I'm glad this isn't the Pit. I'd get flamed to hell and back for the Harley thing.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Dunno about that - I agree with you 100% on the Harley thing.

And, like tattoos, Harleys can leave the stupid and foolish with permanent "reminders" - like missing limbs, skin grafts, and brain damage. Which is arguably worse than a really bad tat in an embarassing place.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:07 AM

It's just skin to me. If the most regrettable thing you've done by the time you're 65 is get a silly looking tattoo, then you've done well. If my tattoo/s remind me that I was once young and a little nuts when I get to be older, then they'll have paid for themselves many times over.

I understand the slight bitterness over something that used to be a serious subcultural status marker being absorbed by the mainstream... but since lovers of tattoos are capable of discriminating between the type of tattoo someone has and making assumptions about the intent behind getting it done, that doesn't worry me too much either.

Full disclosure: One tattoo where no-one gets to see it unless they're going to be sleeping with me or they're my doctor, and plans for one on a much more public area of skin once I can find an artist I want to do it. As I heard someone say once, you only get one body, might as well decorate it!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:08 AM

I don't like tattoos either. Just a personal preference...nothing against folks with tats.

I REALLY hate my SO's tattoo; his first girlfriend's initial. BLah.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl
I can relate. My husband has numerous tattoos, several of his former girlfriends. Imagine trying to uh, provide oral pleasure while looking up at "KAREN" under his belly button.

That one's the first to be lasered off.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Nuthin' against the wearers, but I've never seen a tattoo that improved someone's looks. But I don't think I'm really the target audience.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:25 AM

I like them and dislike them. If that makes any sense. Some of them look nice, or even good. But the idea of having something permanently drawn on me? No way.

But of course, this is just all my opinion. No offence to anyone with a tattoo. It's your body and all that jazz.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 AM

I agree with the Harley Correlation (as it shall be known). I'm not a fan of tattoos and so hey, I didn't get one. I don't care, whatever people want to do is fine by me.

But now that it has trickled down to the wannabes/mall rats/fratjocks/accountants, it's off to the Hall of Shamefully Unhip Outdated Things along with acid-wash jeans, etc. But that's a good thing, really, to let tattoos go back to the seedy underside again. Wheat/chaff, and all that.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:38 AM

I do not in general find them attractive on a woman, but to each their own.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I don't like them either. I wouldn't like them even if they washed off...I just think they're ugly. Lots of times I see them from a distance and think they're a bruise or a smudge of dirt.

Something I've noticed about myself in the last few years may be of interest here: I don't really care for art. I know that sounds bizarre, but it seems to be true. Maybe I just haven't run across the right combination of shapes and colors that I would care to look at for more than a moment or two.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushgeekgirl
Nods violently in agreement (Mrs. Call, too, was once young and foolish and I get to be reminded of it daily in glorious bruise-blue).

My brother just got his first tat - a small, tasteful maple leaf on his shoulder. Safe.

I can't imagine that I would get one, two reasons: 1) can't think of anything I know I'll still be into later in life. 2) I've heard that some people discover ink in places far from the tattoo, like under the armpit. That thought more than anything scares me.

If I did though, I'd probably get a barcode pattern on my shoulder encoded with something nasty. I heard of a guy who had his name in ASCII binary tattooed around his arm. Now that's cool too (I'm such a geek).

If I was really drunk, I'd be tempted to get 666 tattooed on the back of my hand or forehead.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:52 AM

Argent Towers, you are my new best friend! (I change best friends here about once a week, but you are the latest who seems to have read my mind )

I've said something similar at least once before on these boards, though less diplomatically and I think I offended a few folks. For that I'm sorry, but I still dislike tattoos. Like pullin said, they never improve someone's looks; to my eye they're only a detriment. I've never understood why an otherwise attractive person with a nice body would mar it with a tattoo. Not trying to be inflammatory with the word "mar," that's just how I see it - sort of like, oh I don't know, painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

To me tattoos carry a connotation of low class. Bikers have tattoos. Truck drivers have tattoos. Bowling alley waitresses have tattos. Intelligent, attractive, well-groomed professionals who aspire to a classier image don't have tattoos. My knee-jerk reaction when I see a tattoo is to wonder what trailer park or ghetto this person lives in.

This is strictly a gut-level feeling that I can and do disregard when dealing with people. There's no need to point out to me that many well-bred people have tattoos, and many truck drivers and bowling alley waitresses are perfectly classy people. I know this. My brother is a Harley guy, with the requisite long hair and head-to-toe tattoos, and he's an okay guy. Maybe not one I would choose for a friend, but an okay guy. What's more, my SO, who is intelligent, educated, professional, conservative, clean-cut, and from a well-to-do family, has a tattoo. So it's not a deal breaker or even a significant criterion for judging people. I just prefer the absence of tattoos to their presence.

With regard to the ubiquity of tattoos, I have a friend who calls them "me toos." Pretty apt, IMO.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle
Something I've noticed about myself in the last few years may be of interest here: I don't really care for art. I know that sounds bizarre, but it seems to be true. Maybe I just haven't run across the right combination of shapes and colors that I would care to look at for more than a moment or two.
I could make a joke about the amount of artistic sense one would expect a DUNG BEETLE to possess, but...well, I guess I just did. No offense.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentious Ectomorph
Not trying to be inflammatory with the word "mar," that's just how I see it - sort of like, oh I don't know, painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.
You mean like Marcel Duchamps?

Old 07-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

My advice for any of you young people going into med school: Dermatology. You should graduate just as the tatoo trend stops, and man the money will be pouring from the skies.

I don't get it either. An out of date haircut? all you need is a quick trip to the Barber. Regrettable clothes? Goodwill. But that tatoos going to be a pain in the ass--maybe literally--to get rid of.

Not a slam on people who are really into tatoos. But even then, have you thought about what it's going to look like when you're sixty?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentious Ectomorph
<snip>With regard to the ubiquity of tattoos, I have a friend who calls them "me toos." Pretty apt, IMO.
I like that. Can I be your best friend next week?

I don't like tattoos (or Harleys). The only tattoo I would even consider getting would be a maple leaf on me somewhere inconspicuous, but I wouldn't even get that, cause I don't like tattoos. I would get those air-brushed ones, though, if I was in a trendy mood.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:52 PM

I've never seen a piece of art that was improved by being on someone's skin, and I've never seen skin that was better because it had ink in it.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Call
I heard of a guy who had his name in ASCII binary tattooed around his arm. Now that's cool too (I'm such a geek).
Or Hex even.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:56 PM

I don't care for them. My girlfriend has one, the nicest thing I can say about it is that it's discreet. I don't admire ornate tatoos on others, and I've never wanted one for myself.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:02 PM

I don't think I'd ever get a tattoo. I have a couple of piercings, but I can always take them out and have a not-that-noticable hole, whereas with a tattoo that's not feasible. I want to get one of those henna ones right before I come home on break from college, though, just to freak my mother out. Or a fake nose piercing.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:13 PM

I have nothing against tattoos, conceptually. In theory, I really like them. But the vast, vast, VAST majority of the ones I've seen are just stupid-looking. I browse a body modification website regularly, and I very rarely see a tattoo that actually looks good to me.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia
Not a slam on people who are really into tatoos. But even then, have you thought about what it's going to look like when you're sixty?
Old, faded, and wrinkly, just like the rest of me. Never really understood this argument. You think tattoos look bad on young people, so you think tattoos look bad on old people. Fair enough. I think tattoos look good on young people; what makes you think I'm going to suddenly start agreeing with you when we're talking about old people?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm
I've never seen a piece of art that was improved by being on someone's skin, and I've never seen skin that was better because it had ink in it.
Agreed.

Alas, my girlfriend is intent on getting one. At least it'll be small and discreet.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM

I just don't get the narcissism of tattooing. I certainly don't want to look at art inked in my skin and I'm fairly certain no one else does either. If you say that your tattoo is for your own reasons and pleasure then there is a little too much self-love going on there. If you get tattoo for other people to look at ( like in the small of your back where you can't see it yourself) then that is just plain old conceit.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM

The reason I'll never get a tatoo is because there's nothing I can imagine that I think will look good *the rest of my life*. My tastes change too much.

When they develop technology to make them still permanent but easily and cheaply removable, then I'll consider it.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:22 PM

Unfortunately, most of the guys whose profiles I see on Match.com agree with y'all: I get drawn in by a nice picture, and as I read about the guy I start thinking that he'd be a good one to write to, and then near the very end of the profile are the turn-ons/turn-offs lists . . . and he's picked "tattoos" as a turn-off. Honest is good, and if he doesn't like my tattoos he won't like me, but it's frustrating. Where are all of the non-judgemental guys in NoVa?!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:22 PM

I don't like tattoos because they say to me, "This person has decided to make hi/r one and only body, which is a real live work of art created by Og, into a permanent DO YOU HEAR ME PEOPLE I SAY PERMANENT canvas for some not-nearly-so-worthwhile art, created by some skeeve for pecuniary compensation, which will very likely not reflect anything of lasting meaning in this person's life."

Tattoos are a waste of human skin. Which is too precious to give up for the sake of a fad. If there were a good way to do nonpermanent tats, I probably wouldn't mind them so much.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

The thing that bugs me about tattoos is the way they seem to turn blue with age. Is that the colour they start out with, or is it really a kind of fading? If it's fading, then... blecch.

Other than that, I have no strong feelings about them.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:45 PM

Put me in the doesn't-really-like-tattoos-but-they're-not-a-dealbreaker-unless-they're-huge-and-gaudy-with-flames-and-skulls-and-such camp. I've already started a thread about how I don't really like guys with long hair, either. Or motorcycles, unless they're quiet, and used to get from point A to B, without too much showboating along the way.

Figures that the people who possess the physical characteristics that I dislike are the most apt to be wearing large quantities of leather, which I do enjoy. Fayetteville, AR is home to a huge bike rally every year, and although I don't like tattoos/long hair/loud bikes,

TMI below!

I still walk around with a hard-on the entire time.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM

I'm honestly afraid that tattoos will become the leisure suits of body modding.

A leisure suit that you can't take off and hide in the closet. It gives me chills.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:50 PM

I'm not a big friend of tatoos either. I have friends who have them, and so does my sister, but they don't bother me. I do get a little bugged by the fact my sister keeps saying "If you ever want to get one, let me know. I know a great place". I've already told her that I have no interest in getting one......ever. I'm not sure she fully grasps this(She's younger then me and has two tatoos and already planning for a third).
Old 07-27-2005, 01:54 PM

If ever I got a tat, forget the geeky barcode or binary. Nosiree, I'd go for one of those ornate heart with a scroll running across it. In the scroll, the word "Moth"

Wait, wouldn't a permanent Simpsons reference be even more geeky than the barcode?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer
. . . and he's picked "tattoos" as a turn-off. Honest is good, and if he doesn't like my tattoos he won't like me, but it's frustrating. Where are all of the non-judgemental guys in NoVa?!
I don't think that's entirely fair. If someone listed tattoos as a turn-on, that's just as judgemental as what you're describing.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:22 PM

If I got a tattoo, it would say "tattoos suck." Nothing like paradoxical irony.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

I agree. It is a total turnoff to me, literally.

Several years ago, I spent a fair amount of time courting a young lady. We liked each other, had lots of things in common and were great friends. One day, we decided to do the deed. When we got nekkid, I saw that she had a tattoo. Nothing garish, just a little butterfly. But it was a tattoo. She might as well have had a suppurating cyst. I got dressed and walked out.

Total turnoff.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:44 PM

Uh...I have to say, I don't really care for tattoos, but in the situation you've just described, I hardly think I would let a little butterfly get in the way.

Har har.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:52 PM

They're OK - but not for me.

VCNJ~
Old 07-27-2005, 02:54 PM

Personally, I never found anything that I wanted on my skin for the rest of my life. YMMV. Plenty of my friends have them, and some of them are pretty cool, but certainly not for me.

The other problem I've found with them, is that the folks that can least afford them, seem to have the most of them. Thoughts? (Not my place to tell them how to spend their money, but it seems accurate in my experience)

-Butler
Old 07-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticdonkey
Put me in the doesn't-really-like-tattoos-but-they're-not-a-dealbreaker-unless-they're-huge-and-gaudy-with-flames-and-skulls-and-such camp. I've already started a thread about how I don't really like guys with long hair, either. Or motorcycles, unless they're quiet, and used to get from point A to B, without too much showboating along the way.

Figures that the people who possess the physical characteristics that I dislike are the most apt to be wearing large quantities of leather, which I do enjoy. Fayetteville, AR is home to a huge bike rally every year, and although I don't like tattoos/long hair/loud bikes,

TMI below!

I still walk around with a hard-on the entire time.

:::hides my leathers in back of closet:::

*pancakes my 2 tattoos*
Old 07-27-2005, 03:45 PM

Don't care much for them, myself. They're not an instant turn-off, like piercings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by butler1850
The other problem I've found with them, is that the folks that can least afford them, seem to have the most of them.
[jeff foxworthy]Three more payment's, and that baby's mine.[/foxworthy]
Old 07-27-2005, 03:51 PM

Tattoos I like: anything well thought-out, significant to the wearer. Tattooes I don't like: "tribal" (Really? Which tribe?); Chinese characters (1. Almost always worn by someone who doesn't know Chinese, so they're assuming that the tattooist wasn't playing a practical joke on them. 2. If it's so damn important, write it in your native language.); meaningless girly butterflies, flowers, hearts, etc; SO's name or initials (just stupid).

Good tattos: my step-sister would like to get a tattoo of a lizard on her ankle. She's been thinking about it for years, and she's used lizards as her symbol for years now (her name is Liz) so it doesn't seem likely to be something she'll regret. I want to get a tattoo on the back of my neck that says, in simple letting, "ouch." Again, I've been thinking about this for more than a year. I don't think my sense of humor will ever leave me, or my penchant for BDSM.

As for why
Quote:
Originally Posted by butler1850
folks that can least afford them, seem to have the most of them
my guess is, because they're most likely to be friends with a tattoo artist, or know that you can get cheap tattoos at body mod conventions.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace
The thing that bugs me about tattoos is the way they seem to turn blue with age. Is that the colour they start out with, or is it really a kind of fading? If it's fading, then... blecch.
In most cases, that is fading. I don't see why someone would let your lovely black lines fade into blue- I get mine redone just for that reason. Ick.

That said, I have two tattoos (one on the right side of each ankle). :ucks:: A butterfly and my name in Arabic Anyway, I like that it is something, well, not me. Most people don't expect GAP shopping, Poli Sci studying, history book reading, debate team captain me to have two tattoos. It is neat to look down at my legs and see something colorful- it makes me smile (as silly as that seems).

For the record, mine were both pretty spur of the moment, but I love them. Am I following the whole, "OMIGAWD IM LIKE SOOO DRUNK! TATTOO ME WITH A BUTTERFLY!!" trend? No. I hate a whore tattoo as much as the next person, but mine make me smile. That's all that really matters
--

Random story to share: I was in the grocery store the other night and I noticed a 40ish woman out of the corner of my eye. Over tanned, over bleached, belly pierced, low rise jeans, belly shirt that says in the front: What happens at Spring Break--back: Stays in Spring break!". But then, she had a lower back tattoo: ~*~Sexxxy~*~. I was embarassed for her kid. Aye.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm
I don't think that's entirely fair. If someone listed tattoos as a turn-on, that's just as judgemental as what you're describing.
Part 1: My bad! This is another time when I've forgotten to explain something about Match.com, sorry: for each list (turn-ons and turn-offs), there is a predetermined set of things you can choose from (e.g., tattoos, long hair, thunderstorms). You don't have to pick anything for either list, or you can pick whatever combination you want. I'd rather not see tattoos listed as a turn-on or turn-off, because you're right. I only complained about guys who put them in the "turn-off" list because that's what was germane to the OP.

Part 2: I was only half-kidding about the "judgmental" thing: I don't really think that every guy who lists tattoos as a turn-off is being judgmental, just like I don't think everyone who identifies as anti-tattoo in this thread is being judgmental. But some guys/responses are. I was mostly just exaggerating/whining for effect.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer
*snip* just like I don't think everyone who identifies as anti-tattoo in this thread is being judgmental.
Good to know. I've pretty much quit kvetching about tattoos IRL because every time I do, I put my foot in my mouth because someone I really like will turn out to have one, and I never knew it. I don't like tattoos, but I like plenty of people who have them, including you, Misnomer!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:04 PM

I've always been anti-tat...recently, due to my wife's interest in them, I've revisited it with her...and, while I've moderated my views somewhat, we've both come away realizing that it's not for us.

For me, it's like nose rings- I've known a few women that can carry it off, but never one that was made more attractive by it.

Also, I will admit that, for me, there are some serious class implications involved. And I'm nothing if not a snob.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Older inks tend to fade like crazy into that "old sea dog" blue. Newer inks don't fade as much, especially blacks.

I've got a tattoo with plans for more. I just like them, who knows why? Ardred has three with plans for more.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:22 PM

I don't mind tattoos. Most of my friends have them, and some of them look pretty nice. One friend has a Celtic-type thing on her boob, and it works well on her.

I, however, don't have any. I've thought about it, but I think it'll be neat, when I'm old and gray, to be the only person in my former demographic not to have any tats or piercings or anything. People today get tattoos to set themselves apart; eventually I'll be able to set myself apart because I don't have one.

Although, and I think I've mentioned this before, I've idly considered making an exception for a "Do Not Resuscitate" message, so I don't end up all Terry Schiavo. The only problem is where to put it so (a) the medics don't miss it and (b) it doesn't look dumb.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weird One
Chinese characters (1. Almost always worn by someone who doesn't know Chinese, so they're assuming that the tattooist wasn't playing a practical joke on them. 2. If it's so damn important, write it in your native language.);
Well, you've got to admit that the Chinese character for "peace" or "strength" or "bagels" or whatever else people pick is a lot more pleasing to the eye than the English word spelled out.

That's one thing I've always wondered -- do people who can read kanji look at Chinese/Japanese character tattoos and see it the same way as an English reader would see a woman with "Foxy Lady" tattooed on the small of her back? Or do you still appreciate the calligraphy, even when it's your native language?