Fantasy novels featuring siblings

I’ve been on a bit of a search lately for fantasy novels surrounding the sibling relationship (incest or no), but I tell you, typing ‘sibling fantasy’ at Google at work isn’t exactly a good thing. :smack:

Any suggestions?

No incest:
Swiftly Tilting Planet is a sibling adventure.

Does sibling mean brother and sister? Don’ t really know, but I’m reading a fantasy novel about two brothers right now, its called “Gog” by Andrew Sinclaire. David Pringle listed it in his 100 greatest fantasy novels, so I picked it up on that basis. Its good, but I don’t know if I would really recommend it that strongly, although its very literary and ambitous. It looks like its basically an English guy’s attempt to write a big Pynchonesque post-modern narrative. This isn’t as lame as it sounds, as it was written in the late sixties. The mythical giants Gog and Magog of English legend are the central characters.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind are P.C. Hodgell’s Kencyr novels. There are currently three in the series–Godstalk, Dark of the Moon, and Seeker’s Mask (the first two are now available in an omnibus edition entitled Dark of the Gods). The series as a whole places a heavy emphasis on the connection between the protagonist and her twin brother (and another individual whose relationship to them is spoilerish).

Mildly spoilerish material, no worse than what you might find on the back cover, follows:

[spoiler]
The first book introduces Jame, who is searching for her twin brother Tori…who just may be Torisen Blacklord, the leader of their people, the Kencyrath. It covers the time she spends in the god-ridden city of Tai-Tastigon and her dealings with its gods and people–one of whom may be nearer to her than she realizes. The book is full of dark humor and strange twists on honor and faith. Jame demonstrates a knack for landing herself and others in absurd, yet potentially deadly, situations.

The second book finds Jame setting out for the lands where her people now dwell. It shifts back and forth between her and Tori as their paths converge and clears up more of their background. We see a lot of the internal affairs fo the Kencyrath, both current internal squabbles and ancient history (which is considerably more current than most are prepared to admit). Oh, and there are millions of bloodthirsty savages invading somewhere in there.

The third book picks up after the twins are separated again, and Jame finds herself at odds with her place in Kencyr society. The bond between the twins plays an important role as Jame leapfrogs from one crazy situation to another, leaving chaos in her wake as she struggles with paradoxes of honor, strange divinities, arboreal drift, and a house that seems to be stalking her…[/spoiler]

These rank high among my favorite fantasy novels. Given the importance of the connection between the twins, I’d say it meets your criteria, even though the two are almost never in the same place at the same time.

Several of the Shanarra books by Terry Brooks has siblings.

The first one, “Sword of Shannara” is about two brothers. That’s the only one I know for sure. I only read the first three and that was about 25 years ago.

The Lemony Snicket books are quite enjoyable. I would consider them to be fantasy.

“A Wrinkle in Time” is also a fantasy novel featuring siblings, as are some others of L’engle’s.
Many children’s and YA fantasies feature siblings prominently - from “Five Children and It” to “The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe” (classics) to “Gregor the Overlander” and “Pure Dead Magic” (charming newbies).
and of course many, many others (“Mary Poppins”, “Peter Pan”, all the “Cinderella” variations…)

Harder to come up with adult/older reader stories focusing on siblings, but we’ll keep thinking.

I guess to give this thread a bit of direction, I really enjoyed Anne Bishop’s Black Jewels Trilogy and Jane S. Fancher’s Ring of Lightning. I’m really looking more towards traditional fantasy or dark fantasy. Boromir and Faramir or Eomer and Eowyn or Elldan and Elrohir sort of thing.

(wow, it really looks like I’m looking for the slash…wince Not my fault traditional fantasy writers like guys)

Sibling relationships (including, but not limited to, incest) play a major part in George RR Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series.

The Narnia chronicles were the first thing to come to mind for me.

Singularity by William Sleator is about twin brothers. Some of his other books feature siblings as well.

Diana Wynne Jones: try Black Maria, Archer’s goon, Dark Lord of Derkholm, and Time of the Ghost. And Power of three.

Orson Scott Card’s Homecoming series is all about a set of brothers, too.

The first Amber series has the ultimate set of siblings.

Witch World, natch

:smack: Andre Norton
In fact most of her children’s book feature siblings.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman’s Dragonlance trilogy (which, considering it’s both a Lord of the Rings ripoff and a D&D product tie-in, is pretty good) features a pair of twins, Caramon and Raistlin, who were so intriguing that they were the title characters of a sequel trilogy (three books named ____ of the Twins).

As already mentioned, siblings show up in a lot of children’s fantasies, including the Narnia stories, Madeleine L’Engle’s series starting with A Wrinkle in Time, many of Diana Wynne Jones’s books, and just about anything by E. Nesbit (who was a strong influence on Lewis’s Narnia books).

It’s a secondary plotline, but don’t forget Ender series’ Demosthenes (sp?) and Locke. Not to mention some of Ender’s own emotional baggage as related to his siblings.

The first three Dune books have very intense siblings in them: first Paul and Alia, then Leto and Ghanima.

Guy Gavriel Kay’s Tigana has an interesting sibling relationship in it. I can’t say anything much about it without spoilers.

Kate Forsyth’s Witches of Eileanan series has two sisters who’ve been raised apart. Although they don’t spend huge amounts of time in the same place, their stories are dependent on each other’s strengths and skills, and there’s a lot of them sorting out their differences. The series starts well, drags a bit in the middle, then ends in a rush, but I thought it was a good read with lots of strong female characters.

** Myler Keogh **, siblings are kids with the same parents. Gender isn’t part of the definition.

The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier features siblings. The first book is about a girl and her six brothers, the second about her two daugthers and son. I haven’t read the third yet.

Trickster’s Choice and Trickster’s Queen by Tamora Pierce have the main character “looking after” two sisters.

And the Dune books by by Frank Herbert are also about siblings. The first couple books are about Paul and his sister Alia, then later books are about his twin son and daughter.

Hunter’s Oath and Hunter’s Death has a pair of foster brothers, Stephen and Gilliam

Susan Cooper’s Dark is Rising series have both the Drew siblings (Jane, Simon and Barney) and Will Stanton and his siblings.

If you don’t mind science fiction, I can throw Sharon Lee and Steve Miller’s Liaden Universe series into the mix as well.