What Major Motion Picture Had the Smallest Cast?

What major motion picture, released since, say, 1960, has the smallest cast?

By “cast” I mean “people who appear on the screen, whether or not they say anything (and that includes extras).” I don’t mean “people whose photographs appear on the screen.” Crowd scenes are included, so if, for example, the movie shows only one guy for the first 119 minutes, then in minute 120 he’s in a full baseball stadium, then the cast is >1.

I nominate The Others (2001). IMDB only lists 14 people, and most of those are on-screen for a minute or less (some of them for only a few seconds, and don’t say any words). Of the fourteen, only six of them are in the movie for more than a few minutes. But they’re on the screen all the same, so they count.

Anyhoo, can anyone top this?

Sleuth

The IMDb lists six cast members, and I think even that is an exaggeration.

[spoiler]There’s a credit for someone playing Inspector Doppler, but that’s to not give away that it’s really Milo Tindle (Michael Caine) in disguise.

I’ve seen this movie once, on broadcast TV. Maybe they cut some bits out, but I only remember Olivier and Caine in the entire movie.[/spoiler]

My Dinner With Andre (1981)…four actors, two of whom are the waiter and bartender.

Cast
Wallace Shawn
Andre Gregory
Jean Lenauer
Roy Butler

My Dinner with Andre
4 members.

The World, the Flesh, and the Devil, 1959

Three cast members. I saw it on television after it came out, and it was the first “post-apocalyptic” scenario I’d ever seen. Kind of freaked me out as a kid.

Give 'em Hell, Harry! (1975)

James Whitmore as Harry S Truman

and that’s all.

Since you didn’t specify fiction or whatever, how about Swimming to Cambodia ? IIRC, there is only one person in it–Spalding Gray.I win! :smiley:

*Give 'em hell, Harry *, a one man show about Harry Truman should be considered a major motion picture. James Whitmore was nominated for an Academy Award.

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf had four cast members: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, George Sega and Sandy Dennis. The IMDB page says there was a fifth, a Frank Flanagan who played the “Host of Inn (uncredited)”. I don’t remember him, nor do I remember anything about an inn.

Robert Altman’s Secret Honor had a cast of one: Philip Baker Hall as Richard Nixon.

Also Bill Cosby: Himself.

And he wrote and directed, unlike Whitmore and Gray.

IIRC, there are a number of people in the background during their conversation, and Wallace Shawn looks out the window from his cab on the way home, so that’s even more people (according to the rules of the OP).

Yeah, but this is essentially a one-man stand-up concert performance. It’s not a fiction film, which I think should be a condition, plus…are you absolutely sure there are no shots of the audience at all?

Is it really fair to include one-person shows? Several comedians have concert movies and there are broadway one-person acts that are filmed, so it seems that the criteria should include a film or play with dialogue and a person in one character for the duration of a single story.

What do you think?

I was going to mention Oleana (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110722/), but there were extras milling about the campus in a couple of scenes.

Duh. Stupid me.

Scratch ‘play’ from my last post, unless it’s one that’s been filmed, in which case it would simply be a film.

*Alien * (1979) only had 7 characters in it…plus the alien.

How many did Castaway have with Tom Hanks? They compared it to the Jimmy Stewart movie about Charles Lindbergh, in that a fine actor had to carry the bulk of the movie alone.

According to the criteria mentioned in the OP, most animated feature films should fit the bill.

You forgot Jonesy!

A huge section in the middle with just Hanks and a volleyball, but bookended by segments teeming with people.