The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Saudi oil revenue & peak oil

Have the Saudis invested any of the trillions of dollars they've been payed for oil all these decades, or did they pretty much spend it all? If the Saudi oil fields decline, do they have diversified investments to fall back on, or will it be back to herding goats?
Advertisements  
Old 08-27-2005, 07:30 PM

Soon after the Saudi king had died, there was a news article saying that the Saudi's were going to pull back billions of $ invested from around the world. I just tried to google it but could not find it.

And don't worry about peak oil, A) its all wacko, there is plenty for decades, (trust the magic kingdom), B) we don't use that much anyway, C) what we do use, is easy to replace with alternatives, D) Matt Simmons is an Investment Banker (cue low voice) baanker, investments!, E)People have said we are going to run out of oil many times in the past, and they were wrong, so it will never be a problem, F) all that Candian shale stuff will work fine in the M1A1.

take care
Old 08-28-2005, 06:09 PM

There have been a number of threads about peak oil, here are a few for your perusal:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=330870
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=324104
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=316590
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=307558

Some of these threads have their own list of other threads on peak oil, and so on and on it goes…

Robz, you might want to rethink your points there.

A) Wacko?
1. It’s clear oil is used at a rate millions of times faster than it is formed under the Earth
2. The Earth is finite in size
3. Human use of oil has reliably risen over the last century and shows no sign of slowing down.
Simple mathematics dictates that as long as these conditions continue, there will be some peak point of oil production, after which oil become a more and more rare resource. Which of the conditions above do you think is “wacko?”

Is there enough for years to come? Yeah, there’s a lot of oil out there. We will most likely still be pumping oil out of the ground and using it in 2100. Does that mean we don’t have to worry about the point where oil becomes more and more rare, and therefore more and more expensive? No. I don’t know where you live, but I live in the United States, an extremely oil-dependent country. Even though I don’t drive very much, rising oil prices are likely to change the economics on which my life depends. There’s an interesting article in this week’s The Economist where they discuss the balance between prices for oil and prices for money as drivers of the world’s economy. Right now, we’re doing quite well despite relatively high oil prices because the price of money (interest rates) are somewhat low. If oil prices become permanently high in the decades to come, it will become very difficult to maintain economic growth without extraordinarily low interest rates.

B) We don’t use that much? I’m surprised that anyone from this planet could ever say 87,400,000 barrels per day is not a lot of oil. Cite

C) What we use is easy to replace? I wasn’t aware there was a definition of “easy” that included an effort that would take decades and cost billions of dollars. The Dept. of Energy has this interesting projection:

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Dept. of Energy
Total primary energy consumption, both in the end-use sectors and for electric power generation, is projected to grow from 98.2 quadrillion Btu in 2003 to 133.2 quadrillion Btu in 2025 (Figure 43). Petroleum consumption increases from 39.1 quadrillion Btu in 2003 to 54.4 quadrillion Btu in 2025, with about 80 percent of the increase expected in fuel use for transportation and the remainder in the industrial, commercial, and electricity generation sectors.
Sounds like petroleum consumption isn’t “easily” going away anytime soon.

D) Why do we care who Matt Simmons is? I’ve never heard of him.

E)
Quote:
People have said we are going to run out of oil many times in the past, and they were wrong, so it will never be a problem
This is a blatant and classical logical fallacy. If I started smoking 30 years ago, and lots of people told me I’m going to die of cancer, but I’ve survived 30 years of smoking and still continue to smoke your logic here would say that I now cannot die of cancer! I’m invincible!

F) Canadian shale? You’re missing the point. Sure, there’s tons of Canadian shale. Canada might even have the greatest oil reserves on the planet counting the shale. The catch is that it is more expensive to produce oil from Canadian shale than oil is now. The worry about peak oil is not that we’ll run out of oil, it’s that oil becomes so expensive that we have to fundamentally change how our economy works (which might be a good or bad thing in the end, but will sure hurt while we adjust).

As far as the OP, I don't know the state of Saudi investments, but they're making money hand over fist off the oil right now, so I don't see why they'd want to cash in on investments. They might try buying up more...