The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-05-2005, 04:29 PM

Unreadable Memory stick pro duo

Just the other night, I was deleting pictures from my Memory Stick Pro Duo which was plugged into my laptop's built in memory card reader.

Basically it was around 75% done deleting when my young cousin decides to pull out the memory stick from the reader.

The computer closed the deleting window and went about its own business.

I put the memory stick back in the reader and find that the computer doesn't see it anymore.

It can pick up that something is plugged in, but can't see the memory stick.
I tried formatting it through the laptop, but it says the memory stick is unreadable.

Is there a way to repair / fix this?

Can I find some sort of magic formatter? Or a little prog to mark of bad sectors?

Or is it gone? is my 1GB memory stick pro duo gone?
Advertisements  
Old 09-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

First, never delete files from or format a memory card in the computer. Always do those operations in the camera if you can, it will avoid problems like this.

Try putting it back in the camera and doing a full format. That's the only place you should be formatting a card.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

The above poster is correct. You need to do a complete reformat on the memory stick, and then all should be hunky-dory again.

If there is some invaluable data, however, you should run some data-recovery programs on it first to try and retrieve your information. Data recovery doesn't work as succesfully after a re-formatting.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelq
The above poster is correct. You need to do a complete reformat on the memory stick, and then all should be hunky-dory again.

If there is some invaluable data, however, you should run some data-recovery programs on it first to try and retrieve your information. Data recovery doesn't work as succesfully after a re-formatting.
And upon preview... I forgot to add that if you visit your manufacturer's website, you should be able to find a utility that will allow you to reformat your memory stick. What has happened is that the files that tell the computer what your memory stick IS have been messed up, either on the stick itself or on the computer's data table.

Failing the download, you could try reformatting it on another computer - it might work. Post again if you still need help.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:59 PM

actually a simple format on the camera itself solved the problem.