Why did Kentucky Fried Chicken become KFC?

Any reason behind the shortening of the name or was it just an advertising thing? Making it easier to say or something like that…?

I don’t think they all changed…most most did. Most around here anyway (Arizona).

In the UK at least, they found it impossible to prevent independent outlets operating under such names as Kansas Fried Chicken, Krunchy Fried Chicken etc., all with a white-on-red shop front. ‘KFC’, I suspect, was easier to enforce.

Plus, they were probably moving into non-English speaking markets, where an identity which didn’t revolve around one language would be helpful.

What I’ve read (no cites, sorry) is that they are trying to de-emphasize the word “fried,” what with fried foods usually being higher in fat content. However, there is this silly rumor that what they sell is no longer chicken

What are the rules in GQ about taking a WAG?

My guess is that it has to do with the word “fried” and distancing from it. My only evidence is that early on they tried to shift the brand to Kitchen Fresh Chicken but from what I can see now they have backed away from that angle.

I don’t buy the idea that they’re trying to avoid the word ‘fried’, because the very first sentence on www.kfc.com includes “Colonel Harland Sanders first gave the world a taste of his most famous creation, Original Recipe Kentucky Fried Chicken”.

I always thought that it was intentional pandering to black people, who make up a large chunk of KFC’s consumer base and who have almost exclusively been the targets of their advertisements for two decades now. It seems to me that the “KFC” name chance happened just as their advertisements “went black” with things like an animated breakdancing and basketball dunking Colonel.

Snopes can be your friend.

As I drove through rural Nevada, I saw that a lot of KFC’s still had the “Kentucky Fried Chicken” moniker.

Down here in Mexico, it seems like they’re all caught up to KFC’ifying. At the work cafeteria, they call fried chicken “pollo Kentucky” but I don’t know if that’s just at work, a regional (Sonora) thing, or something the whole country does. I guess I should go to the local Churches and see if they have “pollo Kentucky.”

Wow! Kentucky sucks! How the hell can you come along and charge royalties on a name that has been used for decades? You shouldn’t be able to change the rules ex post facto.

That comes from the section The Repository Of Lost Legends (T.R.O.L.L.) It’s a joke.

Can Kentucky even trademark there state name that way? KFC was using Kentucky long before the state trademarked it.

Actually a quick bit of googling only turns this up on blogs and such. Does someone have a link to something more substantial than snopes?

Too late. I looked even tried to figureout if this was one of the joke ones.

Well, shame on Snopes. The page linked to looked like a normal Snopes page. Nothing suggested that it was Snopes demonstrating self-awareness by exhibiting their mistakes. Not only is this frustrating, but I also immediately doubt any previous occassion I’ve followed a link to Snopes.

I have to admit, that’s the first time that my BS detector has gone off while reading Snopes. I kept having the urge to reply to the article with “Cite?” but realizing I couldn’t because it wasn’t on SDMB.

Well, maybe you should go down to the ‘additional information’ section, since that’s where snopes usually lists their references. (And for the lost legends, that’s where they linked the bullshit explainer.)

That’s the whole point. The Mikkelsons don’t want you to take their site as the authoritative last word any more than you would the claims they debunk; hence, they provide sources from which they cite their contentions.

There are plenty of authoritative sources (World Book Encyclopedia, anyone) that are rife with errors and misquotations. If something doesn’t sound right, it bears checking out.

Stranger

This question has, or will soon become, moot. KFC is changing itself back to Kentucky Fried Chicken.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-30-2005-69337.asp

P.S. Entering Kentucky Fried Chicken name change into Google gives hundreds of hits on the story behind the hoax name change.

“…hip new Colonel…”

I see the colonel, still in suspenders, break dancing.

That was part of it, but in general it was an image change because of lagging sales, when other fast food was booming.

But apparently it hasn’t worked, as Exapno Mapcase cites above. So if they really thought having the word “fried” in the name were such an issue, they’d probably leave it as “KFC.” I bet they’re going to try something like an “original,” “old-time” type theme.

A couple of years ago, some McDonald’s restaurants in Japan were converted into “M Dining” establishments that featured a more upscale, healthier menu. They didn’t sell burgers nor regular fries and soft drinks. They had deli-type sandwiches, natural juices and more salads. The restaurants were also remodeled into a “Starbucks”-like decor and the workers had specially-made uniforms.

Well, the outlet down the street from my office went back to being a regular McDonald’s within 6 months of opening.