The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 PM

Why did Kentucky Fried Chicken become KFC?

Any reason behind the shortening of the name or was it just an advertising thing? Making it easier to say or something like that..?

I don't think they all changed...most most did. Most around here anyway (Arizona).
Advertisements  
Old 09-26-2005, 04:46 PM

In the UK at least, they found it impossible to prevent independent outlets operating under such names as Kansas Fried Chicken, Krunchy Fried Chicken etc., all with a white-on-red shop front. 'KFC', I suspect, was easier to enforce.

Plus, they were probably moving into non-English speaking markets, where an identity which didn't revolve around one language would be helpful.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:48 PM

What I've read (no cites, sorry) is that they are trying to de-emphasize the word "fried," what with fried foods usually being higher in fat content. However, there is this silly rumor that what they sell is no longer chicken
Old 09-26-2005, 04:50 PM

What are the rules in GQ about taking a WAG?

My guess is that it has to do with the word "fried" and distancing from it. My only evidence is that early on they tried to shift the brand to Kitchen Fresh Chicken but from what I can see now they have backed away from that angle.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:57 PM

I don't buy the idea that they're trying to avoid the word 'fried', because the very first sentence on www.kfc.com includes "Colonel Harland Sanders first gave the world a taste of his most famous creation, Original Recipe Kentucky Fried Chicken".
Old 09-26-2005, 04:58 PM
BANNED

I always thought that it was intentional pandering to black people, who make up a large chunk of KFC's consumer base and who have almost exclusively been the targets of their advertisements for two decades now. It seems to me that the "KFC" name chance happened just as their advertisements "went black" with things like an animated breakdancing and basketball dunking Colonel.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:00 PM

Snopes can be your friend.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

As I drove through rural Nevada, I saw that a lot of KFC's still had the "Kentucky Fried Chicken" moniker.

Down here in Mexico, it seems like they're all caught up to KFC'ifying. At the work cafeteria, they call fried chicken "pollo Kentucky" but I don't know if that's just at work, a regional (Sonora) thing, or something the whole country does. I guess I should go to the local Churches and see if they have "pollo Kentucky."
Old 09-26-2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker
Wow! Kentucky sucks! How the hell can you come along and charge royalties on a name that has been used for decades? You shouldn't be able to change the rules ex post facto.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker
That comes from the section The Repository Of Lost Legends (T.R.O.L.L.) It's a joke.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Can Kentucky even trademark there state name that way? KFC was using Kentucky long before the state trademarked it.

Actually a quick bit of googling only turns this up on blogs and such. Does someone have a link to something more substantial than snopes?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Too late. I looked even tried to figureout if this was one of the joke ones.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris
That comes from the section The Repository Of Lost Legends (T.R.O.L.L.) It's a joke.
Well, shame on Snopes. The page linked to looked like a normal Snopes page. Nothing suggested that it was Snopes demonstrating self-awareness by exhibiting their mistakes. Not only is this frustrating, but I also immediately doubt any previous occassion I've followed a link to Snopes.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris
I have to admit, that's the first time that my BS detector has gone off while reading Snopes. I kept having the urge to reply to the article with "Cite?" but realizing I couldn't because it wasn't on SDMB.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldGuy
I have to admit, that's the first time that my BS detector has gone off while reading Snopes. I kept having the urge to reply to the article with "Cite?" but realizing I couldn't because it wasn't on SDMB.
Well, maybe you should go down to the 'additional information' section, since that's where snopes usually lists their references. (And for the lost legends, that's where they linked the bullshit explainer.)
Old 09-26-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaMan
Well, shame on Snopes. The page linked to looked like a normal Snopes page. Nothing suggested that it was Snopes demonstrating self-awareness by exhibiting their mistakes. Not only is this frustrating, but I also immediately doubt any previous occassion I've followed a link to Snopes.
That's the whole point. The Mikkelsons don't want you to take their site as the authoritative last word any more than you would the claims they debunk; hence, they provide sources from which they cite their contentions.

There are plenty of authoritative sources (World Book Encyclopedia, anyone) that are rife with errors and misquotations. If something doesn't sound right, it bears checking out.

Stranger
Old 09-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

This question has, or will soon become, moot. KFC is changing itself back to Kentucky Fried Chicken.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-30-2005-69337.asp
Quote:
After years of trying to downplay consumers’ image of their fried chicken being unhealthy, KFC has decided to turn its name back into Kentucky Fried Chicken, although the return to its original roots is a change in name only.

*snip*

The company plans to open 50 more such restaurants across the country this year. Owned by Yum Brands, Inc., KFC has served as one of the corporations flagship chains, along with Taco Bell and Pizza Hut. But KFC has been a thorn in Yum’s side in recent years because of flagging sales and consumers straying to more trendy, health-oriented fare in fast food. So to meet the demand for new, upscale fast food, KFC is going to provide the public with hip, new restaurants and products. The restaurants opening this year won’t be brand new franchises; they’ll be existing stores remodeled with new looks. They will all display the Kentucky Fried Chicken name and hip new Colonel, as well as the updated menu.
P.S. Entering Kentucky Fried Chicken name change into Google gives hundreds of hits on the story behind the hoax name change.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:18 PM

"...hip new Colonel..."

I see the colonel, still in suspenders, break dancing.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCO3
I always thought that it was intentional pandering to black people, who make up a large chunk of KFC's consumer base and who have almost exclusively been the targets of their advertisements for two decades now. It seems to me that the "KFC" name chance happened just as their advertisements "went black" with things like an animated breakdancing and basketball dunking Colonel.
That was part of it, but in general it was an image change because of lagging sales, when other fast food was booming.

But apparently it hasn't worked, as Exapno Mapcase cites above. So if they really thought having the word "fried" in the name were such an issue, they'd probably leave it as "KFC." I bet they're going to try something like an "original," "old-time" type theme.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 PM

A couple of years ago, some McDonald's restaurants in Japan were converted into "M Dining" establishments that featured a more upscale, healthier menu. They didn't sell burgers nor regular fries and soft drinks. They had deli-type sandwiches, natural juices and more salads. The restaurants were also remodeled into a "Starbucks"-like decor and the workers had specially-made uniforms.

Well, the outlet down the street from my office went back to being a regular McDonald's within 6 months of opening.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpnDude
A couple of years ago, some McDonald's restaurants in Japan were converted into "M Dining" establishments....
More recently: Clownish burger icon crosses over
Quote:
Ronald McDonald, the garish clown recognised worldwide as the icon of the fast food restaurant chain, has been taken off the menu in Japan.
In new advertising, he has been replaced by a woman sporting a bikini and high heels
The KFC trademark dates to 1982.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:28 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink
More recently: Clownish burger icon crosses over

The KFC trademark dates to 1982.
While the trademark dates back to 1982, I can find newspaper cites(many) in the 10 year period before that referring to them as KFC. I think they just decided to finally trademark something that the general public/newspapers were using.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
While the trademark dates back to 1982, I can find newspaper cites(many) in the 10 year period before that referring to them as KFC. I think they just decided to finally trademark something that the general public/newspapers were using.
Yes. IIRC first use goes back to 1970. Damn those trademark search links!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
...Plus, they were probably moving into non-English speaking markets, where an identity which didn't revolve around one language would be helpful.
In Quebec they're called PFK or poulet frit Kentucky.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Why did ABC, NBC and CBS do likewise?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 AM

kfc is cooler

thats it. kentucky fried chicken gives you too much to think about. kentucky, not exactly as catchy as "vegas" or "mc deez". who cares about the fifteenth state, how many of us have been to kentucky or even want to go there? i bet for all the kentuckians who are offended by this reply there are more people who are saying "Kentucky is a state?" truth be told.
"Fried" is now taboo some what with the big unhealthy diet craze issue. oh by the way one of my first jobs was working at "kfc" and i got to go into the sacred kfc vault, where they keep the coveted holy grail, the secret recipe. ok spoiler alert. the seven secret herbs and spices are only seven commen herbs and spices. and so i got to dump this big spicy smelly mass much like a very large spicy flour bag into a giant tub with a hole on the bottom. i took the chicken, just plain ass chicken bone in all skin. and made giant messes, some of that secret recipe is the sneezes of the people, including me, mixing this anthrax bomb. and we put it on these racks that would lower masses of chicken into pure boiling grease. over and over again i never seen it replaced and saw it catch on fire once chargrilling the tower of deathly fat chicken. it actually tasted better, but burned off all the skins. there are about four of those fryers. and a huge mess to clean up. never eat the wings. they congeal and are resold. also they waste masses of food. they throw out so much mashed potatoes and macaroni that its horrible. they let us take what ever we wanted home but did not want to waste the energy to give hundreds of pounds of food to the homeless because of the cost to refrigerate the already sealed food. it all went into the trash.
anyways enough about my glory days, the last word is chicken, because if your going to kfc your not going for the awesome burgers. hey lets gets some kfc. you only live once.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
Well, Bill Paley, founder of the Columbia Broadcasting System (now that was a great name: THIS IS THE COLUMMMBIAAA BROADCASTING SYSTEM) got ideas in the 60s about being Mr. Conglomerate, changed the name to CBS Inc., and bought neat stuff like Fender Instruments and the NY Yankees. CBS may have been the trendsetter in the "initials that don't stand for nothing" phenomenon.

NBC might still be the National Broadcasting Company, but nowadays it's only part of the media conglomerate NBC Universal (gee, that looks weird).
Old 09-27-2005, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867
In Quebec they're called PFK or poulet frit Kentucky.
Which always striked me as strange as they're just plain 'ol KFC here in France.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople
"...hip new Colonel..."

Perhaps they mean "...new hip Colonel..." and he's had an operation to aid his break dancing?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czygabe77
thats it. kentucky fried chicken gives you too much to think about. kentucky, not exactly as catchy as "vegas" or "mc deez". who cares about the fifteenth state, how many of us have been to kentucky or even want to go there? i bet for all the kentuckians who are offended by this reply there are more people who are saying "Kentucky is a state?" truth be told.
"Fried" is now taboo some what with the big unhealthy diet craze issue. oh by the way one of my first jobs was working at "kfc" and i got to go into the sacred kfc vault, where they keep the coveted holy grail, the secret recipe. ok spoiler alert. the seven secret herbs and spices are only seven commen herbs and spices. and so i got to dump this big spicy smelly mass much like a very large spicy flour bag into a giant tub with a hole on the bottom. i took the chicken, just plain ass chicken bone in all skin. and made giant messes, some of that secret recipe is the sneezes of the people, including me, mixing this anthrax bomb. and we put it on these racks that would lower masses of chicken into pure boiling grease. over and over again i never seen it replaced and saw it catch on fire once chargrilling the tower of deathly fat chicken. it actually tasted better, but burned off all the skins. there are about four of those fryers. and a huge mess to clean up. never eat the wings. they congeal and are resold. also they waste masses of food. they throw out so much mashed potatoes and macaroni that its horrible. they let us take what ever we wanted home but did not want to waste the energy to give hundreds of pounds of food to the homeless because of the cost to refrigerate the already sealed food. it all went into the trash.
anyways enough about my glory days, the last word is chicken, because if your going to kfc your not going for the awesome burgers. hey lets gets some kfc. you only live once.
I think you need to get a new keyboard. It looks like your Shift key is broken.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:24 AM

About once every 5 or 6 years I get the urge to visit a KFC. My god, it pleases my pink little tongue. Yummy. Munch munch munch slurp chew chew gulp munch......please, if you have small children, don't let them watch the carnage!

And then. About 4 hours later. I'm remembering why I swore of the stuff so many years ago....
Old 09-27-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
About once every 5 or 6 years I get the urge to visit a KFC. My god, it pleases my pink little tongue. Yummy. Munch munch munch slurp chew chew gulp munch......please, if you have small children, don't let them watch the carnage!

And then. About 4 hours later. I'm remembering why I swore of the stuff so many years ago....
Ugh - yeah. I was reading your post and was like "uh huh, yes, oh totally" and then as my eyes were moving from one paragraph to the next I thought of it too - why I don't eat KFC often.

I have a friend who works at KFC corporate. I now want to pick her brain about this.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:15 PM

Personally, I don't like the TROLL section, but, hey, it's their website. Anyhoo, there's also a legitimate Snopes article on KFC.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:18 PM

I remember the year this happened. Dennis Miller was still the anchor on Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update" segment, and he had this to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Miller
... and this week, Kentucky Fried Chicken announced it will be referred to from now on as "KFC."

<pause>

C'mon guys... it's chicken. How hip can ya get?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

In China, it's always been KFC(obviously this is easier then translating "Kentucky Fried Chicken".

In fact, when I told students that there are not any words in English that don't have vowels, one very bright student said, "Yes there is. KFC doesn't have any vowels."

Actually a very logical answer.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:35 PM

Quote:
The point is to point out the old adage, "don't believe everything you read." As the essay Peter Morris linked to points out, even the most prestigious organizations can fall victim to a false story or other incorrect fact. (I actually have my own law, "Mead's Law," which says that every non-fiction book, no matter how well-researched, will have at least one error in it. I also think that there's some unwritten law that every textbook about business which involves global markets has to have the "Nova=no va in Mexico" story in it.)
Old 09-27-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople
"...hip new Colonel..."

Actually, I think they're just updating his look, making his face thinner and all that.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:19 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
The initials were used at least as early as the 1930's in radio listings in the newspapers.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I fell for the Snopes TROLL pages... and told them to take them off cause they look so real.. if you link to just one.. like this thread did.

Jay Leno recently... keeps on talking about how they are going back to the full name. but thats all I got on that. Sorry.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjef
I have a friend who works at KFC corporate. I now want to pick her brain about this.
I think it only hurts your guts if your blood is normally liquid at room temperature. Folks who take in grease/high fatty foods on a regular basis probably have less trouble than a spinnach/rice/grilled chicken eater such as myself. I could be completely wrong though. Nummy biscuits they have too. And gravy...Jimminy, there's one right across the street from me too. I'll be up all night now.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:17 AM
BANNED

I recall reading something in the 70’s about the actual Colonel Sanders trying out the fare at one of the restaurants bearing his name (which he had already sold out to Heublein, years earlier), and declaring it “The worst chicken I ever tasted.”

I can’t remember it exactly, but there may have been some stipulation in his will that the restaurant chain would relinquish use of the original restaurant name after his death, hence the changing to KFC.

This could be crap, but I seem to remember something along these lines.