Noel Coward/Edna Ferber exchange: Real or apocryphal?

Coward: “You look almost like a man!”
Ferber: “So do you!”

It’s not recorded either in the Coward biography I have (“The Life of Noel Coward” by Cole Lesley) or Coward’s autobiography. Which isn’t to say it didn’t happen, just that neither Coward nor his biographer saw fit to report it. The references to Ferber in the biography indicate a deep and long-standing friendship between the two with a great deal of mutual respect and support.

As with so many of the quotes attributed to the Algonquin Group, of whom Ferber was a regular, this one is endlessly quoted and never sourced.

It’s origin probably lies in Margaret Case Harriman’s 1951 book, The Vicious Circle. She was the daughter of Frank Case, the proprietor of the Algonquin Hotel, and grew up amongst the gossip and stories. This would make her a great source except that she was too young to have heard them herself - the real Algonquin lunches started around 1920 when she was still a child and ended by around 1930. And I don’t see the exchange in Case’s own 1938 book, Tales of a Wayward Inn. Of course it could date from after 1938 and Case Harriman was a New Yorker writer by at least 1940 so she was certainly an adult then.

Verdict: not proven.

Hudson and Vazquez said it in “Aliens”…

I thought it went:

Ferber: “Pearls before swine!”

Or, maybe it was . . .

Ferber: “Perhaps, but tomorrow, I’ll be sober!”

While the 1951 book referenced by Exapno was probably the first appearance of the quote in the press, I found two further press appearances which contradict each other.

In a 1974 NYTimes article it was reported that a reunion of some surviving Algonquin members produced the memory from George Openheimer(one of the original members) that it was Noel Coward to Ferber.

A later(1978) article in the Washington Post about the biography of Ferber, written by her great niece Julie Goldsmith Gilbert, said that the quotes were between Alexander Wolcott and Ferber.

Even though Openheimer was a member of the Round Table, it doesn’t mean he was there when the incident happened, assuming it happened. My money’s on Wolcott.

Moved to CS.

-xash
General Questions Moderator

Woollcott. Three double letters.

It’s certainly possible. Woollcott had had mumps as a child and became impotent and probably asexual. Cruel comments about his sexuality or lack of it were certainly a part of the group’s lore. And given Ferber’s and the others’ immersion in Broadway, Coward’s homosexuality wouldn’t have been as much of an issue for them as for most people in their day.

But when contemporary attribution of quips for those folks is impossible to verify, 50-year-old memories aren’t a terribly solid source. Harriman Case’s book is a quarter-century closer to the event, which may mean something. Or not.

Still not proven, as far as I’m concerned.

I seem to recall reading that the exchange was between Ferber and Woollcott as well. Probably in George S. Kaufman and his Friends by Scott Meredith. I don’t have my copy handy at the moment but I have a faint memory that Ferber and Woollcott didn’t care for each other. So it does seem to fit.

Sorry about that. Working from memory, which is obviously getting worse the older I get.

I wonder if the biography is available(I’ll go to my public library Sunday), and if there is any footnote.

Perhaps John Edwards could lend us a hand? :slight_smile:

I think you mean John Edward, who channels the dead. Up to this point, John Edwards has exhibited only the ability to channel a severly handicapped (but still living) fetus in utero.

No, the anecdote in Meredith is between Coward and Ferber. p. 222.

Reminds me of the famous exchange the famously deep-voiced Tallulah Bankhead had with a male journalist:

Journo: “Miss Bankhead, have you ever been confused for a man on the phone?”

TB: “No - have you?”

Thanks for all the info. One last thing I’ll add:

The first time I ever heard this quote was on a TV series hosted by Mel Torme. The name was “It Was a Very Good Year.” Torme would take some year, and talk about some of the news stories of that year (usually in the 1920s or 1930s), and have some sketches in which actors would act out some news stories. I first heard the exchange on that program. I was just a kid and had no idea of the Algonquin Round Table, or its cast of characters, but I did remember that exchange. The actor in the male role was Jonathan “Dr. Smith” Harris (but I don’t remember the character). I had no idea who the female was, actress or character. However, many years later, I saw the move “Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle,” in which Lili Taylor has a brief role as Edna Ferber. I then thought, “Hey, she looks just like the woman in that “Very Good Year” sketch from years ago (although Ms. Taylor was obviously not the actress). Some time after that I actually read the quote was historically attributed to Ferber. I only wish I could remember whom Harris played in that sketch, Coward or Woollcott.

:tap tap tap: Is this thing on?
One addendum to my previous post: Some enterprising soul has posted the cast list for that ep on IMDB. Apparently, Dr. Smith played Noel Coward, Victor Buono was Woollcott, and Anne Seymour was Ferber.