The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:03 PM
What the .... ?!?! What the .... ?!?! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
America's Funniest Home Videos - finalists are not the funniest!

How come the three finalists are never (and I mean never) the funniest?

My theory is that the producers choose the finalists primarily based on who they can get to show up for the show and they don't provide much in the way of financial encouragement to get them to come.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Dung Beetle Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 13,316
That must be it. I just saw a "winner" consisting of a woman screaming on a roller coaster. Har!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:25 PM
ryobserver ryobserver is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,011
Back when I still watched that show, I learned I could accurately predict which video would be voted the winner: it would be whichever one I found least funny, or, if they were all not funny, the one with a small child. For some reason the audience for that show is all over cute kids, even when they're not doing anything funny, and even when they're doing something distinctly not funny, like repeatedly falling off a bike while screaming "No more videotaping!", or having a prolonged shrieking, wailing tantrum over eating a green bean. Both of those were "classics" that have aired repeatedly, and I can't think airing either one is really good for the kid.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 PM
badbadrubberpiggy badbadrubberpiggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryobserver
Back when I still watched that show, I learned I could accurately predict which video would be voted the winner: it would be whichever one I found least funny, or, if they were all not funny, the one with a small child. For some reason the audience for that show is all over cute kids, even when they're not doing anything funny, and even when they're doing something distinctly not funny, like repeatedly falling off a bike while screaming "No more videotaping!", or having a prolonged shrieking, wailing tantrum over eating a green bean. Both of those were "classics" that have aired repeatedly, and I can't think airing either one is really good for the kid.
I'll agree with "cute kids" and add "cute animals" as well. I only every watched the original (Bob Saget) version when I was a kid, but even then I could predict who would be the finalists. Doesn't matter how funny it is - if there are cute kids or cute animals, especially dogs, they would be in the top three.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Cat Fight Cat Fight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
[slight hijack] When are they going to come out with an "all crotch-shot episode," with video after video of guys getting hit in the groin with bats, bitten by dogs, kicked while playing sports, etc., along with humorous voiceovers? It could really corner the stoned 30-somethings market. [/slight hijack]
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 PM
MovieMogul MovieMogul is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight
[slight hijack] When are they going to come out with an "all crotch-shot episode," with video after video of guys getting hit in the groin with bats, bitten by dogs, kicked while playing sports, etc., along with humorous voiceovers? It could really corner the stoned 30-somethings market. [/slight hijack]
I'd buy that for a dollar!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Manduck Manduck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Baby with a nail gun!
Awww...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Jeep's Phoenix Jeep's Phoenix is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,315
Also, if one of the finalists contains any sort of reference to Disney, it's a winner.

Or if the video is extremely distrubing...like the one shot on some sort of roller coaster, where a rather large child slides down in (and nearly out of) the safety harness and is screaming in terror for the duration of the ride, while the adult next to him is oblivious.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Evil Captor Evil Captor is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
The reason the finalists are never the funniest is that the studio audience picks, and their tastes run this way:

1. Baby
2. Kids
3. Pets
4. Funny

Simple as that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2005, 09:51 PM
mobo85 mobo85 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix
Also, if one of the finalists contains any sort of reference to Disney, it's a winner.
Gotta suck up to the boss somehow.


I don't know how much of the footage is sent in by American viewers (I imagine a large amount)- there is a credit in each show that the show was inspired by a program from, and some footage is provided by, the Tokyo Broadcasting Company.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manduck
Baby with a nail gun!
Awww...
"Dog on Fire!" "Dog on Fire!" (Although that "Baby Muggles" is a catchy tune, too. Wait a minute, what were we talking about again? Oh, right, the funny videos. "Dog on Fire!")
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.