What % of Americans can name the capital of Canada?

It’s Ottawa, for you mouseover viewers.

I was curious. What percentage of Americans can name the capital of Canada? I did some googling and came up empty. A search turned up this old thread but it didn’t have the answer either.

Anyone know? (I’d also be interested in the flipside: what percentage of Canadians can name the U.S. capital.)

I knew it: 279,821,987 to go.

I would not be surprised if more Canadians can name the US capital than vice-versa because of two things: One, the US capital is more newsworthy, even in Canada, and two, the sheer amount of media produced by the US that has found its way into Canadian culture.

Oh Gee, lets make it a little tougher What was the first capitol, not capital, of Upper Canada ?

“U”?

It’s about $1.49, right?

:: d&R ::

:stuck_out_tongue:

Plus the Canadians did burn down our capitol once so they may be more likely to rember it.

A building somewhere in Niagara-on-the-Lake, which then was called Newark.

Okay, I cheated and looked it up (although I did know Ottawa, like probably 90% of the SDMB Americans) . But I still didn’t find a definitive answer.

The government of Ontario says it’s either the Navy Hall or Freemasons’ Hall in Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake).

I had no idea there were that many changes in Canada’s seat of government.

I also had no idea Google now openly insults you by highlighting search terms it thinks you misspelled, without so much as a “Did you mean capital?”

(Almost as interesting - try typing in “Canada capitol building” and hit the ‘I’m Feeling Lucky’ button at Google.)

I would be surprised if 10% of Americans could name the capital of Canada.

Canada City would probably the most popular guess. :slight_smile:

I always thought that the capital of Canada was “C”.

I can not only name it, I have been there. Dropped in for a couple of days on my way to Worldcon in Boston last year. Just missed seeing Arlo Guthrie at the folk music festival. :frowning:

And I even took the tour of Parliament. :smiley:

But we burned down their capital, Toronto, too.

Wait, what?

It’s probably about the same as the percentage of Canadians (or Americans) who can name the capital of New Zealand.

Most who don’t know would probably guess Toronto, just like a lot of people think NYC is the capital of New York, or Rio de Janeiro is the capital of Brazil.

It’s no big news that most Americans don’t have a lot of cause to think about Canada and/or Canadians. Sorry.

Not so.

Rick Mercer has been there before.

http://home.comcast.net/~wwwstephen/americans/

Canadopolis?

Aukland is the capital of New Zealand, and I didn’t have to look it up. Uh, I hope that’s right, or I’ll be one ashamed American…

The Rio de Janeiro thing totally ruined “I still Know What You Did Last Summer” the first 10 minutes of the movie. Sheeesh.

I knew it even before the Ottawa Senators joined the NHL- so if you’re a hockey fan that should have been a clue.

Uh, no, Wellington is the capital. Auckland is, I believe, the largest city.