Will doctors prescribe amphetamines to lose weight?

It seems the older I get, the more weight I gain.
I seem to remember from my high school days that ‘speed’ really curbed the appetite. Will doctors prescribe that stuff these days?

No, probably not. Unfortunatly, as well as being good for causing weightloss, they’re also pretty good for causing unplesant side effects such as death.

There are some new weight loss drugs in the works currently, but if you only have a few pounds to lose, a good Dr. probably wouldn’t give you those either.

You may want to look into thermogenics - supplements that increase your metabolism to theoretically help you cut weight (specifically fat). To be sure, I’d guess the majority of them are bunk (and question their efficacy if used without a proper diet/exercise plan), but several respected supplement manufacturers have their own versions. Buyer beware and all.

In most US jurisdictions these days it’s illegal to prescribe schedule II amphetamines (dextroamphetamine and the like) for weight loss. They may be used for attention-deficit disorder, narcolepsy, and a few other things. But NOT weight loss.

And Chairman POW? I’ll go out on a limb about thermogenics and say that they’re all bunk as far as weight loss is concerned.

IMHO, anyway.

QtM, MD

If you’re old enough to remember that it worked, you should be old enough to remember the rather unpleasant side effects.

I remember when my father’s weight got out of hand, and his doctor put him on “diet pills.” He lost weight, but turned into a hyperactive, quick-tempered lunatic.

Not only that, but when the doctor took him off the pills, he gained all the weight back.

Hmm, I was going to mention over-the-counter Dexatrim, but a quick check indicates its active ingredient is phenylpropanolamine, not dextroamphetamine.

Can’t speak to its effectiveness, but they used to advertise it on TV all the time.

An ethical Dr. will not prescribe amphetamines for appetite contol…40 years ago…yes but in the last few decades no.

And phenylpropanolamine got banned about 5 or 6 years ago anyway.

I gained about 50lbs after I quit using dope ( 3 years ago). I know it’s hard to lose it. You just have to take it slow, give yourself a realistic goal ( 5-10lbs a month or so) Please believe me when I tell you, it will damage your health and your well-being. You can’t sleep, you get bitchy, it fucks up your skin, Shall I go on? Street or prescription, it’s all shit to me.

I doubt you can get anything like amphetamine or methamphetamine from a physician. But phentermine may be possible. So may drugs like wellbutrin and meridia which aren’t speed but which have somewhat similiar effects.

Requiem for a Dream is a nice little trip into the dark side of diet pills. It makes them look worse than heroin.