I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

Little quips like “try the veal” and “remember to tip your servers” often appear after bad one-liners in SDMB posts, and on many other message baords. We know comedians always used likes like this after their performance, but I never saw people using it outside of comedy acts until fairly recently. Is this a reference to some pop culture meme or movie line, like “Vote for Pedro” and the like?

The meme would be ‘generic nightclub comedian schtick’, I think. I’ve seen/heard it for years and years.

I associate it with Xander from ‘Buffy’-- he probably only said it once… early third season??

I associate it with Shrek.

It’s a generic reference to dinner theatre, the bottom rung of comedy venues, where the usually lame joke that precedes the line would fit right in.

I’ve heard it untold dozens of times in popular culture. It left the world of comedy ages ago. No specifics about when first heard though.

Doesn’t Jay Leno say it a lot? That could account for it’s catching on.

Resort and cruise ship gigs, too. Hence the “here all week” part of it.

Catching on?

Cripes I’ve been saying it after a lousy joke since I was six years old. I probably heard it from Grover or something.

However, I always just assumed it was lounge-lizard glib.

Many of these sorts of phrases have their origin in the “Borscht Belt” – the cluster of resorts and clubs in the Catskills that were a popular vacation spot for many (often Jewish) New Yorkers in the 40s, 50s and 60s, and that consequently became a proving ground for a generation of stand up comedians. Think Milton Berle, Shelley Berman, Don Rickles, Shecky Greene, Rodney Dangerfield, etc.