The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 08-20-2000, 08:31 PM

This is not ment to be morbid... I just need some advice.

If you have followed the thread about my cat being hit by a car you will know that early this week I am going to have to have my cat put to sleep.

I want to bring him home and bury him... but I'm serious... I don't know how deep. Two factors effect this... if I bury in the front courtyard like I think I would like how deep should it be? It would really really freak me out to go out front and be able to smell him decomposing because I didn't bury him deep enough. I'm hoping thats an unrealistic fear.

Second... if I bury him out back I have three dogs. One likes to dig. He's the same one that would spend hours wrestling with the cat and chewing on his head. I can just see him digging up that cat and chewing on his head...

I started to dig a hole in the courtyard this afternoon and hit the sprinkler system so I had to fill it back in..

*sigh*
Advertisements  
Old 08-20-2000, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Whammo-

I am so sorry about this. Life is so very unfair sometimes.

As I said before, I had my two oldest cats move on to a better place (both were 18 years old) a couple of years ago. I had them cremated, and for me it was the right decision.

Maybe this is an option you could consider?

((((((((((Whammo))))))))

Scotti
Old 08-20-2000, 08:44 PM

:: slips in quietly ::

I buried mine about 2 feet deep...also added a few big rocks on top before filling it back up (makes digging it out difficult for dogs).

condolences.

:: slips out ::

god is no where
god is now here
how easy was that?
Old 08-20-2000, 08:47 PM

Whammo, dear, again, I'm sorry about Max.

The only thing I can think of to keep your doggies from digging up Max is to put something over the spot. Maybe some decorative concrete pavers? They're fairly inexpensive, and easy to lay. I'm not sure if you wanted to mark the spot like that or not, though.

You could always plant some nice flowers or something on the spot. A memorial tree, maybe? (The hole will have to be pretty deep if you go this route, to give the roots room to grow.)

Then again, I'm sure your dog will understand Max is dead. He may not even dig Max up.

God, this is morbid. {{Whammo & family}}

::scratches Max's ears::
Old 08-20-2000, 08:48 PM

First, my condolances. I always get emotional when a pet dies.

I've buried two cats, but only one on my own property. I buried it (it was as neighborhood cat, so I didn't know it's sex) about 2 1/2-3 feet deep. We had dogs, plus plenty of neighborhood dogs that wandered the area (no leash laws where I lived). But none of them felt compelled to dig at the gravesite.

If it makes you more secure, perhaps wrap the body in plastic and place it in a sealed cardboard box.
Old 08-20-2000, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Two feet is about right. If you cover him in something airtight, like a plastic bag, that might frustrate the digging dog. If I did this I would wrap him in a favorite blanket or towel first. I buried my cat Baby with his food dish, his favorite catnip toy, and a St. Francis medal. Toys for the next life made it hurt a little less. Sigh.
Old 08-20-2000, 09:15 PM

My cats went into bags and out with the trash.
Before you say I didn't show respect, that's approximately how I want to leave this world. I can't understand burial of the shell when the spirit is gone.
Old 08-20-2000, 09:19 PM

Whammo,

My condolences to you, I'm sorry for your loss.

I could not begin to estimate something like that, but I am more than capable of offering you my most heartfelt sympathies.

brian
Old 08-20-2000, 09:31 PM

Whammo, sorry about the cat. I've buried a couple of my own.

I dug a deep hole, about 2 feet, I guess. I put the cat in a plastic bag. After filling the hole up to within about 6 inches, I then put in a piece of plywood and covered it the rest of the way. I figured that the plywood would stop anything that tried to dig it up anytime soon but would eventually rot away. I never had a problem with anything trying to dig them up anyway.

Again, sorry about the cat. I hate losing pets.

Jim
Old 08-20-2000, 09:39 PM

i've buried two pets in the back yard. about 2-3 feet sounds right. i placed a rock over one and her favourite brick over the other, after scratching their names and dates on them. as soon as the season was right i planted a bleeding heart bush over them.

i'm so sorry your going through this. in my case i did all the grave planning after they died. i can't imagine what your going through, dealing with this before...

you may want to consider cremation. my cousin had her dog cremated, heidi is in a very nice wooden box next to her picture on a bookcase.

it may sound a bit odd, you may want to consider having your other pets sniff max after. that way they will know what happened and not go about the house looking for him. seeing that may just break your heart even further.
Old 08-20-2000, 09:58 PM

how deep should I bury my cat?

condolences whammo

HOWEVER.....

one thing I would like to ask is why people become so attached to their pets? If you're a person who relies on pets as their livelihood ie:farmers you are excluded from this.

if an animal dies in the wild, it's "family" (genetic) does not bury it. the animal simply lays where it's demise came upon it, and decompses. If a carnivore chooses to devour it, then so be it. This is NATURE and the way things happen. The food chain is still the ultimate. So having said this..why bury your cat at all. Simply feed it to the dogs...and let nature take it's course. In this world of Technological Revolution we still need to remember the basics of all living forms and nature.

condolences again for becoming so attached to an animal.
Old 08-20-2000, 10:02 PM

Adolph - hush.

Whammo -

I hate to inject reality for a minute, but....make sure you're allowed to bury the cat on your property. Not all cities let you.

Aside from that....I can't give much advice. When we put my beloved terrier Gretel to sleep, we had her cremated. We were planning on scattering her ashes in the yard, but we never could. And then my parents moved. So we still have Gretel in a little box in the attic....we just can't part with her, I guess.
Old 08-20-2000, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Again, I'm so sorry, Whammo. Unfortunately we've had much experience in this area, as our "puppy graveyard" on the hill in our back woods attests. (Actually, it's a peaceful place, and we imagine the shades of our friends frolicking up there . . .)

Those who are buried underground were always wrapped in a soft piece of my husband's clothing, such as a sweatshirt. I believe he also used the patio block technique as protection from digging. 3-month old kitten Phil is buried at the edge of our sandpit under about a dozen patio blocks at the surface, and he is undisturbed after 2 years. (Hubby just wandered in, and he said Phil is only about 6 inches down. He also agrees with the consensus so far, from his own sadly vast experience, that 2 feet is plenty.) Benji died when the ground was frozen, so he rests under a rather unique tomb made of large rocks, about 2 feet high.

Someone mentioned the possibility of cremation, which we chose for Miss Emily, who was after all our best beloved. If you go this route, Whammo, be absolutely sure to check (or have someone else check for you - perhaps better) that both you and Max's remains will be treated as respectfully as if a human had died. Unfortunately, our experience was horrid due to deliberate cruelty toward us by the pet crematory staff. But later we dealt with another (human) crematory when finding a permanent urn for her ashes, and the people there were wonderful. As a result of what I told them about the first place, they have now opened their crematory to pets; if only they had been available for Emily! I later spoke with several other pet cremation services, and the consensus was that my bad experience was one-of-a-kind, and that 99.999% of these services are very sensitive and caring.

It's a very personal choice, and we'll likely bury all future pets (what a morbid shelf we'd have in the house otherwise!), but Emily was special and it's nice having her on the piano rather than outside in the ground. I understand that the $55 fee we paid is a little on the low side, but up to $100 is still not too expensive IMO. And if we move we can take her with us.

You also might want to go to http://www.petloss.com and write a memorial to Max. I like to go there and look at Miss Emily's every so often myself.

As for other pets, they'll know. Emily did most of her dying inside our house; when we returned from the vet's afterward, the outside dogs were very subdued. I think they smelled her on hubby's clothes. And when we brought Scout inside the next day, she immediately went sniffing at the places where Emily had been sick and the last place she had lain -- even though we had cleaned. She was uncharacteristically quiet for about a week. They'll know. Trust me.

Oh, Whammo, it's a terrible thing to lose a pet. We were glad we were home with Emily during her final hours (though we didn't realize they were final until shortly before the end) and were there still telling her how much we loved her, and that she did not die alone. I know that you will be with Max, and that he will know he's loved. And that's something you'll be glad of in your sadness.

(can't type anymore -- my vision is blurring wetly)
Old 08-20-2000, 10:15 PM

My dear Whammo, I am so very sorry. Wish there was something I could say to take away some of the hurt you're feeling. As to advice, Mr Bear was kind enough to let me bring her home, and he put her in a plastic bag, then inside the cardboard box the vet gave us to bring her home in. I picked a spot by the back fence, under a tree for shade, and he buried her about 2-2.5' deep, then put a bunch of rocks on top. He even made a cross out of some sticks and placed it on there. I can look out of my kitchen window and remember the good times, the companionship and love she brought me for more than 14yrs.

I hope this helps you some. I just read rocking chair's post. It might help, letting them sniff his body, as hard as that will be for you to do.

{{{{{{{{Whammo&family}}}}}}}

This bites. *Sniffles*

Adolph- hush. And, ajschn has a good point, they will most likely know anyway.
golden memories and silver tears
Old 08-21-2000, 12:30 AM

{{{{Whammo}}}}

Catrandom
Old 08-21-2000, 12:31 AM

Re: how deep should I bury my cat?

Quote:
Originally posted by Adolph Peewee

why bury your cat at all. Simply feed it to the dogs...and let nature take it's course. In this world of Technological Revolution we still need to remember the basics of all living forms and nature.

That is one opinion... and I don't discount your thoughts... but by the same token.. instead of having my cat put to sleep... maybe I should just throw it to the neighbors pit bulls and not worry anymore? After all... thats nature too... and thats about your thinking too isnt it? **run away now boy** and when you parents die be sure to thow them to the sharks... **thats a good boy**

*LMAO* Some people... though that is a point and I don't think he ment any harm (maybe).
Old 08-21-2000, 12:41 AM

now thank you all for your sincere answers... you all told me what my mind was thinking... somewhere between 2 - 4 feet should be right. Its just good to hear someone else say so. I'm sorry for your all's losses, but thank you for sharing.

I will/do grieve.. its hard to pet and love the cat and not cry... but by the same token I do know that it is a pet and that life will go on... even with a grieving process. As a pet owner you have to realize that you will outlive your pets and that you must prepair for that.

As for the exGF that I still live with.. I am not so sure she realizes that and her grievence will be much more drawn out...
Old 08-21-2000, 12:43 AM

Re: how deep should I bury my cat?

I found a solid wooden box for Mike, my faithful friend and companion of 10 years, put a small pillow in it and wrapped him in a sheet, included a note with him saying how much I loved him, a tissue that I used to dry my eyes, a toy mouse and a bag of catnip and buried him about a foot deep in my backyard.

Adolph asks how anyone can become so attached to an animal.

When I found Mike he was just a little kitten,both his eyes were full of puss and scabbbed over,he was flea infested,had maggots crawling in and out of his ass and was a wild little beast that gave me several scratches and bites as I nursed him back to health. The vet told me I had little chance of keeping him alive. Don't know how I ever got attached.

I love and adore my cats, they are my family. I can honestly say that if my cats and your children were trapped in a burning building I would go in to save my cats.
Old 08-21-2000, 12:47 AM

Wait a minute. You're a GUY whining about a cat?
I thought it was too much when I assumed you were a girl.
I can't think of any adult I know who hasn't lost a pet, but I bet none buried them.
Old 08-21-2000, 12:52 AM

so what... do real men eat their dead pets... or just throw them in the trash where you grew up?
Old 08-21-2000, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF CA US
I can't think of any adult I know who hasn't lost a pet, but I bet none buried them.
OK smartass, what did they do with them?? A cat is a little too large to flush down a toilet.

Whammo, sorry about your cat

Growing up, I once had 13 or so dead cats buried in my back yard. Mostly kittens that were not taken care of by the mother. But otheres were cats I had for sometime. They were all buried about 2-3 feet deep. I also had two dogs and they never dug the cats up. Putting rocks or stones over the kitty will help to prevent it. Also, you may want to consider concrete if you are too worried about your dog. Once you place your cat down in the grave, fill the hole halfway with cement and it will be like a tomb. Then fill it the rest of the way with dirt. Nothing is getting him out of there. I am not sure if that is a good idea, since I just thought of it right now. But 2ft deep with rocks is definitely a fine idea.
These statements are my own. Views and opinions expressed are not endorsed by the U.S. Army or Department of Defense and in no way constitute an official stance of any military or government organization.
Old 08-21-2000, 01:04 AM

You're PAVING OVER your pet? And you think I'M out of touch?
Whatever you say, dude ::backing away slowly::
Old 08-21-2000, 01:05 AM

Quote:
This is just some teenage boy thinking it is unmanly to have a cat as a pet, he doesn't know what he is saying.
Old 08-21-2000, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Every single adult person I know who loved their cat or dog and lost that member of their family both mourned them, and either buried them when they died or had them cremated and kept the ashes. My Tasha and Ginji were cremated and their ashes reside in my living room next to a picture of the two of them-I believe that someone else, earlier in this thread, has done this same thing.

I sincerely hope that you have more tenderness in your heart than you are exhibiting here. If not, I feel sorry for you.

Whammo, bless you. There is nothing wrong with the way you are feeling, and it says alot for you that you don't feel it "unmanly" to express it.

Scotti
Old 08-21-2000, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreatKingRat
[B[/B]
This is just some teenage boy thinking it is unmanly to have a cat as a pet, he doesn't know what he is saying. [/B][/QUOTE]

ahhh... I'm not worried about that.. I expected some posts like that long ago, even in my original thread, I'm surprised it took the trolls so long.

Trust me... I have gotten more responses from real, conserned, thoughtful and caring posters then I ever imagined. Everything I have gotten WAY overshadows these losers even if they want to take it to 20 pages... I don't even care.
Old 08-21-2000, 01:26 AM
BANNED

< techchick sniffs the air, possible troll dung? >

Anyhow Whammo,

I am sooooo sorry for you and your kitty. I have two cats and a dog and older cat is 14 years old. Older cat limps and I really don't see him living for much more than a year.

I think the cremation idea is a good one. In our county it is illegal to bury dead pets in your yard. Oh and I rent too so burying my animals anywhere is out of the question until I am able to buy a house. Also, there is no possibility that another animal will dig it up.

That's just my thoughts on the matter. Regardless, Whammo I hope your week gets better

{{{{{WHAMMO}}}}}
Old 08-21-2000, 08:11 AM

Coming in late, but still...

Speaking as someone who was traumatized at an early age by the family toy collie, an otherwise perfect little lady, digging up my dead hamster that I had buried in a shoebox with much pomp and ceremony, I would say, "Bury it deep, in a Hefty sack, and use rocks. Lots of rocks."

I think patio pavers are too light. Daisy the Beagle has no trouble moving concrete blocks around in order to get out of the yard, and she's only 18 pounds. Bear's concrete idea sounds good, but it might attract attention from your neighbors if you back a concrete mixer up to your yard and start pouring into a coffin-sized hole. "Just burying my cat," you assure them cheerfully, as they peer over the fence. Uh-huh. Next thing you know, you're talking to the sheriff, or worse--Neighborhood Services.

(no, no, not Neighborhood Services...)

Make sure it's legal in your area to bury pets in the back yard. Generally speaking, it's perfectly fine as long as your neighbors don't notice and turn you in somewhere.

(to Neighborhood Services! AAAAAAGGGGHHHH...)

P.S. Just ignore the Silly Fools who CAn't UnderStand.
Old 08-21-2000, 08:31 AM

Oh Whammo, I am so sorry. This just really sucks. What really gets me is that you tried so hard with Max. You felt bad about what happened and you took responsibility, suffering emotionally and financially. And this is how it has to end. So few people are willing to go to the lengths you did. People who care as much as you should have happy endings, darn it.

As to the question at hand, I have lost three pets: two cats and a cockatiel. I had all three privately cremated, and I have the cats' ashes in urns. The bird is in a decorative tin.
Old 08-21-2000, 10:19 AM

Whammo, life just sucks sometimes. It really, really sucks.

Your handling of the few people who posted thoughtless, insensitive comments is to be admired. I donít know why people who canít say something nice in this situation have to say anything at all. Whatever.

Youíre doing the right thing with Max. Not that this makes it any easier.

Old 08-21-2000, 10:27 AM

I'm so sorry.
You're a good person that care so much about Max.
Take care.

((((((((kram)))))))))
Old 08-21-2000, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

[quote]Bear's concrete idea sounds good, but it might attract attention from your neighbors if you back a concrete mixer up to your yard and start pouring into a coffin-sized hole. "Just burying my cat," you assure them cheerfully, as they peer over the fence. Uh-huh. Next thing you know, you're talking to the sheriff, or worse--Neighborhood Services.[quote]LOL, DDG. Just to make sure everyone had the same mental image as me, and not a huge ass hole or big 'ole truck: I am thinking more along the lines of a "normal" 2ft deep hole. Place the kitty in a nice decorated shoe box, then place the whole box on the hole. Then you pore in the concrete, but only to fill in half the hole. You can get a bag of concrete mix from the store and mix it in a bucket. If you own the house, fill the hole all the way with conrete and you can either write the cats name on top directly into the concrete, or place a plaque or something with the kitty's name on the top. If you press firmly before it dries, the plaque will stay put. I think this would look nice. It might be a little much, but it would look nice.
And sf ca us, I am not talking paving over the cat. We are not building a drive way or patio in the backyard here.
These statements are my own. Views and opinions expressed are not endorsed by the U.S. Army or Department of Defense and in no way constitute an official stance of any military or government organization.
Old 08-21-2000, 11:12 AM

Please don't kill me... I mean no disrespect.

I am sorry about your cat. I have pets, too and I may sound cold hearted, but-

I am a taxidermist. I could never taxiderm my own pet, but it's nice to have the pet with you, and I have preserved people's pet cats for them before.

Since your cat is already buried, let me make a humble suggestion:

If you bury an average sized cat "as is", without a plastic bag or makeshift coffin or anything, it will be er- "ready" in about five months, depending on a number of conditions.
You can dig it up and collect the bones! Then you can wire the bones together and have a really cool cat skeleton and I think ol' Max will appreciate that he will live on as a work of art.
You can even get creative with it-
I have sewn pigeon wings on rats before and let them fly around like wee angels.

Anyway, bury about a foot deep or so, not too deep, and cover it up with a couple of big rocks.
Old 08-21-2000, 11:17 AM

I am sorry whammo, truly. I wish some people here would be a bit more sensitive. No. I just wish they just wouldnt act like asses. We had a beautiful little tiger cat, which was hit by a car. The animal place picked him up before we could, but we buried his food dish instead. Good luck whammo.
{{{Maxwell}}}
Old 08-21-2000, 11:40 AM

Whammo: you have masterfully demonstrated how to ignore the trolls.

I didn't get teary-eyed over Max's demise until I read this thread (I'm going through some difficulty myself, and I'm a bit numb). As far as the dogs digging up the corpse, I don't think that will happen. From your description of their interactions, the dogs knew Max was part of the pack. They will understand that he's dead and grieve in their own way. Digging him up won't be part of that process.

Give the dogs plenty of extra attention over the next few weeks. They'll need it, and they'll probably sense your own grief and try to help you work through your grief too, in their own way.

~~Baloo
Old 08-21-2000, 12:18 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally posted by as if
My cats went into bags and out with the trash.
Cats are beloved friends and companions. They are valued and loved. They do not belong in the trash.

Quote:
Before you say I didn't show respect, that's approximately how I want to leave this world. I can't understand burial of the shell when the spirit is gone.
OK, you still didn't show any respect, and your post, like yourself, does belong in the trash. Regardless of whether these are your real feelings or not, your post shows awe-inspiring insensitivity.
Old 08-21-2000, 12:19 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your cat, Whammo. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet--they really do become family.

Over the years, we lost many, many cats, dogs, hamsters, etc.; our old place was a regular pet cemetery, but if it's any consolation, no matter how deep or shallow we buried them, whether we put them in a box, a blanket, or nothing at all, even though we were out in a rural area with lots of wild animals, I don't recall any ever being dug up. All rested in peace.

{{{Whammo}}}
Old 08-21-2000, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adolph Peewee
..why bury your cat at all. Simply feed it to the dogs...and let nature take it's course. In this world of Technological Revolution we still need to remember the basics of all living forms and nature.

condolences again for becoming so attached to an animal.
And my condolences, sir, on being a real Sphincter Boy.

I mean, what the fuck is your problem posting this in here? Are you some sort of microcephalic? This man is losing a beloved family member, and you post this sort of shit in here?

I don't care what Big Bird and Elmo told you on the TV, it is not OK to use mommy's computer when she's not home.
Old 08-21-2000, 12:26 PM

Just adding a "me,too" and "what they said". I have two cats buried out in the pasture. My guess is about 1.5 to 2 feet deep. Put split firewood over the top. Never was bothered by my dogs or the neighborhoods loose ones.
I wish I had the words that would make this easier, but I'm pretty sure they don't exist. Add my thoughts with the others...
Old 08-21-2000, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Another drive-by posting marring a thread of grief and sorrow. Sorry, but the title of "Sphincter Boy" was just taken. So I'll insult you another way - your new designation will be "Talks with Ass". You R so eLi7e now!

Quote:
Well, according to the other two "brainiacs" I responded to, apparently the trash and feeding to the dogs are preferred methods among your kind. Although I'm somewhat boggled as to how that would be done, since the intelligence required to take out the trash is pretty much out of reach of you three. And I'm quite certain any dogs you all met would be your intellectual superiors, so perhaps they would be your keepers in that relationship...

Anyways. Thank you, please drive through now.
Old 08-21-2000, 12:45 PM

Whammo - I've been following the story of your poor kitty for a while and have been heartbroken to hear of what he and the humans that love him have been going through. I have had cats all my life, and have 4 fat monster cats right now. As a result, I have had some experience burying them - I have had to bury 6. The kittens are the hardest.

Each cat I buried we planted a small tree over. It reminds us always of the family member who has passed on, and when I see the leaves swaying in the wind I think of each poor cat's fur blowing gently in it, when they liked to sit outside and just watch the world.

If your lot is small, then trees are not a good answer perhaps. When we lived in a small house, we buried them about 3 feet below, wrapped in their favorite blanket and with their favorite toys and treats. Except for a few, which I keep to help remember them by.

I still cry sometimes when it gets cold out, thinking of how cold they must be, even though it makes no sense. I miss my cats that have gone.
Old 08-21-2000, 01:19 PM

DNFTT

Now is a perfect time to practice Do Not Feed The Trolls. I'm begging you to try it before this thread gets uglier.

Whammo, I'm so, so sorry. I feel your pain. Thanks for being the kind of person who did all he could to save your kitty. Never doubt that he knew that.

Zette
Old 08-21-2000, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Zette: You come through with exactly the right sentiments.

Also, Zette,(changing the subject) thanks again for the line on the book you gave me, it arrived today.
Old 08-21-2000, 03:53 PM

Now I am being absolutly serious

When my Katy passes away I'm having her mummified and put into a pewter cast. I'm not keeping her around the house with me either. I'll put her in storage in the attic or something, as to not scare the kids. But when I die, I want my dog buried with me. She was an essential part of my growing up. How can I not be buried with her when she will be around for at least 20% of my life. I'm going to buried next to my husband, why not my dog? I was going to have her stuffed, but I though that would be too freaky. So i'm getting a pewter cast made to look like her and preserving her inside. It is expensive, but she has provided me with much comfort and love in my life. I think I want her buried at my feet like she loves to sleep.

call me weird if you want, my husband does...
Old 08-21-2000, 04:28 PM

Tubagirl :
I was serious above when i wrote that i am a taxidermist, and that a preserved body or skeleton is an option for some people.
I don't think it would be freaky at all to get your dog stuffed, and I have preserved pets for people before.
Sometimes people come in with rats and ferrets, and the cost to taxiderm them is more than the price of the pet itself, so it just shows how much the animal means to the person.

A preserved skeleton is a little scarier, but some people like that.
Mummifying is cool, too.
I don't think you are weird at all.
Old 08-21-2000, 09:20 PM

I wanted to add my condolences, Whammo. I just now logged on and read the latest about Max. I hope your experience was like mine in that it was actually easier emotionally once I had my cat euthanized. Making the decision and living those last few hours was the hardest part; after it was over, I knew I did the right thing. I hope you find the same peace.

Max knew you loved him.
Old 08-21-2000, 09:45 PM

Whammo:

I'm truly sorry to hear about Max. It sounds like you gave him a wonderful life and family to share.

We recently had our fifteen-year-old German Shepherd euthanized. She had been steadily deteriorating. We had the vet come to the house so she could die at home on our couch. It was quick and painless for her, but so sad.

She is buried on my sister's hobby farm. Her husband dug a big hole with their front-loader. We wrapped her in a blanket and buried her on her dog bed. Bob, my S.O., put one of her favorite chasing sticks on her.

The other animals in the house don't seem to realize she is gone. I guess in some cases when pets have bonded with each other, they do notice.

You did your best for Max, and he was lucky to have you as an owner.
Old 08-21-2000, 10:25 PM

Never been owned by an animal myself, to scared about the loss. My Ladyfriend has had manny pets and at their death I have helped bury them. As has been said 2-3 feet is about right. Say a prayer and know that Max is at peace.
Old 08-21-2000, 11:18 PM

Whammo, I'm so sorry about Max. You both tried so hard. I wish it didn't have to come to this Give him a scratch behind the ears from me, OK?

(As if you didn't already know) - You're a truly good person to go to the lengths you did to try and save him. Even if he can't tell you, rest assured, he knows. He knows how much you love him.

We had our Max (a dog) creamated then we buried the ashes under his favorite tree. (Max was a very big dog and there was no way on earth that we were going to be able to dig a hole large enough.)

All of the people in my family had their caskets laid to rest inside concrete "vaults". So, if you really want to go the burial route, the concrete idea is not really in left field - it'll be more like a "real" people grave.

I managed to make it through most of the thread without what I would consider an unreasonable amount of crying - but this put me right over the edge:

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthracite
I still cry sometimes when it gets cold out, thinking of how cold they must be, even though it makes no sense. I miss my cats that have gone.
Anthracite, it makes perfect sense.

But, you are very lucky that I waited to read this thread until I got home - had I read your post at work they would have sent me to the looney bin for having hysterics on the job, and then I'd have to track you down and kick your butt

{{{{{Whammo}}}}}
{{{{{Max =^..^=}}}}}
Old 08-21-2000, 11:23 PM

That's sad, Booker, that you've never had a pet. Yes, the loss is terrible -- I've had them die of illness and age and had my most beloved cat of all stolen, which was worse. But it's worth it a million times over, it really is.

I'm so sorry, Whammo.

Catrandom
Old 08-22-2000, 06:21 AM

Oh wow, the mummy thing DOES seem a little strange, even to me!

I want to be cremated when my time comes, and I plan on having all my pet's ashes mixed with mine and then sprinkled over some beautiful outdoor place...maybe over some forest and mountains...