Stupid stupid stuff in an otherwise okay movie

The Beach was acceptable. But that video game running moment, and the slow telescope walking. Ugh!! I can still see the cheesy smile, and the mechanically moving arms as he ran around in the video. Blech.

–Tim

Well, if you’ll settle for an ALMOST otherwise okay movie…

Wild Things. The scene where hot bitch is describing so-and-so raping her. She describes it all (very convincingly, I might add stifling a guffaw) and then says:

He raped me. He raped me on the floor of his shitty house!

like it would’ve been OK, if it was on a nice marble floor or a Persian rug, in a cozy little beach villa!!

The reason for The Matrix (humans as power supply).

The bookends in Saving Private Ryan are the worst thing ever. As if we wouldn’t care about the characters unless we see one as a crying old guy.

And on that theme, let me add:
The end of Schindlers List
The end of A League of Their Own

Well, I liked Four Weddings and a Funeral, except for the parts with Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell…

Hollow Man: The 2nd half of the movie, where it turns from a fair sci-fi flick into a crappy monster movie.

Event Horizon: The 2nd half of the movie, where it turns from an intriguing and interesting sci-fi flick into a crappy monster movie.

I really liked Starship Troopers, except for the acting. And the dialogue. And the plot. Otherwise, it was great!
In Sling Blade Billy Bob Thornton’s characters seems to think the local gay guy would make a good father figure for the kid. Maybe he would, but not in that town!

When Michael Douglas’ character lets Sharon Stone’s character tie him up in Basic Instinct. Yeah, that was intelligent. :rolleyes:

I liked the Matrix up until they started smooching. What a downer and a terrible groaner.

And on that theme let ME add…
The bookends of “The Green Mile.” Took a perfectly good movie and made it useless feel-good pap. (So that’s three then for Tom Hanks? What’s his deal anyway?)

And Joe Cool…you are RIGHT ON about “Event Horizon.” That was the one thing you didn’t want, expect or even NEED with a cast like that. :mad:

Well, I’m not saying Entrapment was a good movie, by any means, but the ending was the most annoying thing I’ve ever had to watch. If I see just ONE more person dissapear behind a train, I’m gonna go postal.

I agree wholeheartedly! What was that all about? It was stupid and thrown in for no reason whatsoever. It was a perfectly fine bit of rainyday entertainment until they screwed it up with that scene!

Said it before… Willy Wonka, except for the bit where his mom sings.

“Feel-good pap”? Wait, wait . . . you mean the part where he has to watch his female friend at the old-folks home die (just like he had to watch his wife and son die), then he lays in bed each night wondering when he will get to die, and he feels his prolonged life and his suffering through the death of everyone he knows is God’s punishment on him for allowing an innocent to be executed? That “feel-good pap”? Yeah, that’s a real upper.

Chris Tucker’s performance in The Fifth Element. Someone tell me what was Luc Bresson thinking?!?!?!

I thought The Blair Witch Project was an okay movie (not a great one), but there were a couple of things that really irritated me about it (besides the character Heather).

1. You must have noticed which direction the stream was flowing when you walked into the bush. Once you find the stream, FOLLOW IT. How hard is that? Keep the stream in sight at all times, and FOLLOW IT.

2. When you’re camping and you hear a threatening beast outside your tent, pretty much the worst thing you can do is to run full-pelt through the pitch-black forest. You’re either going to run into the beast, or into a tree and knock yourself out cold, or you’re going to take some branches across the eyes. Any way you slice it, you’re worse off than if you had just stayed in the damned tent.

The stupid stupid idea of putting Keanu Reeves in “Much Ado About Nothing”.

An okay action flick with nifty effects, Independance Day really crapped all over itself with the stupid virus ploy.

The Phantom Menace elicited an audible groan from the audience when Anakin’s “virgin birth” was revealed. (I was one of the many who was privileged to be disappointed by this movie on opening day.)

Just about any horror movie when, after half of the protagonists are horribly slain the remaining few develop the “You go that way, I’ll go this way!” plan.

Has anybody seen Witness for the Prosecution (1957)? It’s a pretty cool murder mystery with a neat script based on an Agatha Christie novel, a cool lawyer character played by Charles Laughton, good direction by Billy Wilder, and a genuinely surprising Alfred Hitchcock Presents-style ending. It also stars Marlene Dietrich, who’s very good as the unsympathetic German wife of the apparently innocent Defendant. Unfortunately, two-thirds of the way through this otherwise great movie, there’s a scene where the lawyer meets with an “anonymous” informant, who is obviously… oh so very painfully obviously… Marlene Dietrich trying to pull off a Cockney accent. Folks, she can’t do it. And later she “reveals” that she was the informant and lapses into the accent again. Poor Charles Laughton has to act surprised… (Don’t worry. I still haven’t given away the surprise ending, for those of you who still want to see it. It’s a good film, really, but just be prepared for that one terrible scene.)

Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Appalling. He’s made up in yellow-face with buckteeth and glasses. It’s so awful your mind almost can’t accept what you’re seeing. Really pulls down an otherwise excellent film.

Jar Jar Binks and the “virgin birth” from the Phantom Menace were also amazing missteps. Just dumb. What was Lucas thinking?

I also have to agree with the casting of Keanu Reeves in Much Ado About Nothing. And the casting of Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

Ducky not getting the girl in Pretty in Pink. (I think it was originally scripted for the Duckman to get the girl, then it was changed to keep the movie from being a perceived as an endorsement of class warfare.)