Awesome moments in horrible movies

Sometimes a movie is remembered for one moment. The rest of the movie is forgotten, pulled under by bad writing, bad acting, bad directing, just pitiful everything, but that one moment stands head and shoulders above the water, declaring triumphantly that this piece of prairie-dog poop will not be forgotten.

In the movie Congo– a wretched excuse for a film-- there is one such moment, when Tim Curry and Delroy Lindo, two actors with no business having their decent, upstanding reputations tarnished by this inexcusable attempt at filmmaking, share the screen.

“Mr. Homolka,” says Lindo. Curry looks up with shit-eating grin and a mouthful of cake. “Stop eating my sesame cake.”

Curry’s smile disappears, and he looks around in confusion.

“STOP, EATING, MY SESAME CAKE!” bellows Lindo, as only Lindo can.

I don’t remember (or care about) anything else in this godforsaken wasteland of cinematic excrement*, but this moment is absolutely fantastic.

Anyone ever have a similar experience?

*As P. Opus once wrote, “OK, maybe it wasn’t that bad, but lord, it wasn’t good.”

The Enterprise crash in Star Trek Generations.

Rodney Dangerfield reading Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night in Back To School

I thought the movie Daredevil was barely watchable, but I loved the scene on the rooftop in the rain where the blind Ben Affleck is able to “see” Jennifer Garner by mentally assembling a pattern derived from the sound of the raindrops as they fall on her face.

[hijack]I like Tim Curry well enough, but take a look at his very long IMDB page and you’ll see that he hasn’t been very discriminating in his choices of roles, before or since Congo. :cool: [/hijack]

I thought the very last scene in The Blair Witch Project was very creepy and scary. Too bad it was preceded by 85 minutes of absolute crap.

Are we counting the bit in Deep Blue Sea where

the shark eats Samuel L. Jackson just as he’s getting warmed up on his patented Samuel L. Jackson speech?

I figured spoilers should be boxed in this; if you wish otherwise you should have the title changed.

The final minute of Queen of The Damned is really cool filmwork. It’s the only minute in the entire movie worth watching, though.

The beginning of Ghost Ship is pretty darn good. It shows the horrific event that led to the ship being haunted.

The rest of the movie is unwatchable crap.

“Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.”

Don’t forget- “Put. The. Bunny. Down.”

Another good one was Executive Decision. Maybe it wasn’t a completely horrible movie, but it wasn’t great… and it was totally redeemed in the first ten minutes when Steven Segal falls out of the plane and dies. And doesn’t come back later on, surprisingly enough. Dead, dead, dead.

My favorite has to be one from I movie I was forced to sit through… I can’t even remember the title. It was a scene so utterly silly that actually completes a full circle and crashes into the “awesome” zone.

Wait, I seem to remember that Carmen Electra made a cameo. Let me imdb it.

Yes! “Full of it” (2007)

The movie was seriously Rob Schneider-dumb, and it was centered around a short, pudgy kid that tries to become popular at his new school by lying his teeth out… only for whatever reason (I think that a magic mirror is mentioned at some point) all his lies become reality.

One of his claims had been previously the old joke about being hung like a baby (9 pounds and 25 inches) and once all the kids are at the shower after gym class he looks down and… surprise!

He starts prancing and dancing around with the happiest smirk on his face while all the other kids look below his waist astonished and disgusted, bracing the walls while trying to avoid that thing from approaching them. But it’s the look on the main character’s face that really makes it great.

I might be biased—I’m one of the minority of people who liked Daredevil—but I thought the scene towards the beggining, showing our hero coming home after a “night on the town” and the toll of lifestyle was taking on his body and mind, really stood out.

I haven’t seen this shot in a long time, but in the Eddie Murphy film The Golden Child there’s a fantastic shot of the bad guy sitting cross legged on the top of a thin spire of rock, then the camera pulls back, and back, and back, and back, and back, revealling fire and huge space and falling rocks. It’s quite a spectacular shot, especially for 80s level visual effects.

I like that bit, too. It was a realistic part of an otherwise silly movie. (I didn’t hate Daredevil, but it should’ve been so much better than it was. Oh, well.)

“I’m here to kick ass and chew bubblegum… And I’m all out of bubblegum!”

This is what I came in here to post. The first few minutes are awesome and had me really excited for the rest of the movie, which turned out to be a nonsensical snooze-fest.

Billy Jack was total shit overall, but damn, Billy squaring off against a dozen townies in the park was a great scene. What’s even better is if you were as dumb as I was when I bought the DVD just for that one scene, you can slow it down enough to see Tom Laughlin’s stunt double. There’s just something awesome about watching a 200-pound townie get his ass handed to him by a little Korean guy in a jean jacket and cowboy hat.

In the otherwise forgettable Emilio Estevez/Mick Jagger schlockfest Freejack, there’s one of my favorite moments ever captures on film:

Well, maybe not, but i bet he never missed a rent or car payment, and never starved.

Paycheck is where it is at. What good is holding out for the perfect roles when you have to wait tables to pay the rent. Get your face onscreen, get your voice in cartoons and get that $$$ in the bank.

The 1962 film version of Day of the Trffids was a truly terrible film, all the worse due to the fact that the book it was based on would have made a perfect little monster movie if they didn’t change a thing.

But in among the garbage was one scene. The plot involves a “meteor” display (it’s implied it might have been man made), that everyone watches – and everyone who watches it goes blind.

The scene is set in an airplane that flew at night. The pilot is desperately trying to figure out how to land the plane without seeing the runway. Meanwhile, in the back, the flight attendants are urging calm, and it’s working. Most of the passengers are blind, but they are accepting the reassurance that they will be landing soon.

Then a little boy asks the obvious question: “Is the pilot blind, too?”

It’s a chilling moment as the people realize their situation.