Favorite scene in movie

Which scenes in movies stand out as your favorites?

Sometimes, a scene stands alone and could be removed from the movie completely without missing it much. Other times, a scene is vital to the overall plot line, but still stands out for whatever reason.

I’ll give some examples of what I am looking for.

The music writing discussion scene in Sling Blade - When the band is sitting in the house after their little jam session, and Morris is explaining how he and Terrance write words and music.

I love when Doyle says “If you all don’t shut up I’m going to go out of my mind. Besides, Carl here’s already off balance, he’s liable to bust a spring.”

Pulp Fiction - when Captain Koons gives little Butch his dad’s watch.

Reservoir Dogs - the scene where the crooks all get assigned their names.

Rounders - the judge’s game scene.

I never get tired of these scenes, and can watch them without seeing the rest of the movie.

What are your favorites?

Amadeus, when Mozart meets the Emperor for the first time and improves Salieri’s composition.

From True Grit

Dennis Hopper + Christopher Walken in True Romance.

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry, Glen Ross. Iconic not just for the performance but for what it shows about the whole salesman world. My roomie told me about how he’s lived through real versions of that scene more than once.

When Wil Munny goes back to the saloon in Unforgiven. Sheer badassery.

The revelation scene of The Sixth Sense. I have never been so completely fooled before by a movie.

Oh, so many! Hard to think of some, they’re mostly short…

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - after the sword fight in the nightclub, there is one young masked desperado left, and Uma Thurman whacks him on the butt with her sword and tells him “you! go! home! to! your! MOTHER!”

The whole shootout with the men in black in “The Matrix”, when Neo and Trinity walk into that lobby. Ending with the helicopter crash into the building.

(No one asked about TV, but I have one, it’s early in True Blood where Eric is keeping some humans imprisoned in his basement. One of them is mouthing off, he comes downstairs, tears off a limb, and starts beating the poor bastard. While he (Eric) is wearing a pink plastic poncho because his hairs are in foils! I don’t know whether to cringe in horror or ROTFL.)

The one that always makes me cry is when Atticus Finch leaves the courtroom in ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’.

“Stand up, Miss Jean-Louise. Your father’s passing.”

Clint Eastwood when he says “Go ahead punk, make my day” and then of course executes the guy with the .44 magnum.

Raiders of the Lost Ark when the baddie with the huge sword twirls it around, and Harrison Ford pulls a revolver out and dismissively shoots the guy.

Dennis Hopper as Frank Booth in Blue Velvet when he first meets Jeffery coming out of Dorothy’s apartment: “Wanna go for a ride?” What a sinister fucker he was!

Chief Brody sees the shark for the first time, backs up into the cabin and says You’re gonna need a bigger boat.

When Jack Nicholson loses it in “A Few Good Men”.

The very end of “The Usual Suspects”, when Verbal Kint is walking down the street and changes into his real persona.

And 'cause I’m a chick <grin>, when Alan Rickman tosses the coins at the end of “Sense and Sensibility”.

The scene in Reds when Diane Keaton goes to meet Warren Beatty at the train station. She knows he’s been ill, and when she sees a sheet covered body being taken off the train, she turns around and closes her eyes, a look of total anguish on her face. Then she opens her eyes and sees Beatty just looking at her. She silently, slowly walks over and hugs him.

Omaha Beach in Saving Private Ryan.

Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack: “What… you buy this hat and get a bowl of soup? It looks good on you though.”

ETA: “There’s no crying in baseball!”

From The Usual Suspects, my favorite scene in any movie ever…

Verbal’s leg straightening out

This reminded me of another favorite scene only because you said your friend ‘lived through the real version’. I grew up in the restaurant industry. My grandfather delivered the produce to the restaurants in Milwaukee, my father and I still run a business that does the same thing. If you own or owned a food service business (other then a chain, but even then) in Milwaukee in the last 50 years, you probably know my dad, he’s pretty well connected. He loves to talk. He’s pretty well known for going out to eat and finding himself in the kitchen at some point to talk to the chef or owner, either because he knows them or wants to see about getting their business.

Many, many times during my childhood we’d go to a restaurant and instead of going in through the front door like normal people we’d go in the backdoor, through the kitchen, say hi to a bunch of people, stop and talk to the owner, the chef, a bartender and eventually make our way out to a table. Embarrassing as hell for me when I was a little kid but I sort of grew into it as I got older. The first time I saw this scene I looked at whoever I was with (girlfriend maybe) and said “I can’t tell you how many times I’ve done exactly that with my dad”. It really hit home. To this day I still like watching that scene.

The “Draw it again” scene in Ronin.

The training scene in The Hunted.

The grocery store scene in My Blue Heaven.

The teahouse shootout at the beginning of Hard Boiled.

The martial arts test in Ong Bak 2.

The poisoned cup switch scene in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

There’s a ton of hilarious tough-guy scenes in this obscure Charlie Sheen movie, Beyond the Law, like this one.

One movie, one moment, one scene? I gotta go with this one.

The Boot Camp scene from Full Metal Jacket.

All great choices so far - I don’t disagree with any of them.

My choice : The USS Indianapolis scene in Jaws. Robert Shaw delivering that absolutely chilling account of waiting for his turn in the water while the sharks were picking off his friends one by one…“I’ll never put on a life jacket again…”

That scene could be watched without the rest of the movie and still be just as riveting.

The Dutch war orphan meets her Sinter Klaas in Miracle on 34th Street.

The reveals in The Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects.

The final rescue in The In-Laws

Puttin’ on the Riiiiiss in Young Frankenstein

The Bean Scene in Blazing Saddles

Gordie’s story about “Lard Ass and the Pie-Eating Contest” in Stand by Me. Completely gross and ridiculous, as only a 12-year-old mind could imagine it. :cool: