Travel to India in May: a bad idea?

I’m planning a trip to India for a month. Originally, I was to go in December. Recently, though, I found a deal on airfare that would let me go in May for $500 less. Problem is, average temperatures in May are about 100 F. Is it worth it?

Yes. I mean, how old are you, how’s your health, are you used to heat, go to the doctor, get your shots, take your malaria pills, etc.

See, they have a siesta-sort of feel there, and no one does anything in the afternoon anyway. And the heat is very dry. I survived two months in June -August there with no ill effects.

I would give my left hand to trade places with you!

I mean yes it’s worth it not yes it’s a bad idea.

Also: *Don’t drink the water!!! * I *have * drank it, regularly, with no ill-effects, but then I am a native and have a cast-iron stomach anyway. And you need to be really careful, soda on the street can be watered down, make sure the bottle’s open. At a restaurant, ask for bottled water.

And did I say make sure you take your malaria pills. I’ve had it twice, don’t care to go through *that * again.

I’ve got to say it’s highly dependent on where in India you are going. I’ve been in the “summer” many times (not in May, but later in the year, which is slightly more bearable), and in some parts of India, I’ve been fine, but in others (read: Bombay), I’ve wanted to do nothing more than curl up and die because it was so hot and humid.

I’m 21 and in good health, so no problems there.
Sleep in the afternoon? Hell, I do that anyway.
So, wear light clothing, drink lots of bottled water, and sleep late. Looks like this might work out.

MilTan, I will be starting in Delhi, then traveling counter-clockwise through the south.

I agree. I lived in the Mojave Desert for 11 years, where summer temperatures are over 100. Dry heat is nothing. Just stay hydrated.

Er, should there be a NOT in here somewhere?

Write to me if you have any questions…

If it’s at all possible to start in the south, I’d do that. India increases in intensity as you go north and reaches a sort of grand crazed peak in Delhi. I’m talking like you’ll be on a cycle rickshaw and you’ll have five other cycle rickshaws pedalling madly to catch up yelling offers to you like “I take you same place! Less rupees! Sit here now!” Things are generally less of a hassel in the south and you’ll want to get used to to how things work, the sheer amount of people, and the various scams you can end up involved in.

Scrunch up your bottled water when you are done or (if you are diabolical) put a pinhole in them. Kids collect them and refill them and sell them as new. If you are environmentally conscious, you might look in to portable water filtering options- plastic waste is a HUGE problem there. Remember, all your trash ends up in some beautiful valley somewhere which is now getting ruined forever.

Test your malaria pills for a few weeks before you go. I didn’t and I ended up unable to tolerate mine (if you can’t tolerate them, there are different kinds to try). I spent a month throwing up every morning before I decided not to bother and hope I didn’t get malaria. It’s drug resistent out there and hell to go through, so do the same thing and try it.

Read the Traveller’s History of India, the Culture Shock Guide (a very excellent book that will demystify a lot of customers- like the mysterious head waggle) and a budget travel book. I took the Rough Guide, but I think Lonely Plane tis better…it has more information about stuff like bus timetables.

DON’T GO IN MAY!

Please reconsider your December departure. Paying an additional $500.00 is EASILY worth going to India in the winter. It can be a very uncomfortable place any time of the year, but summer is absolutely unbearable.

Oh yes. Make sure the bottle’s NOT open. Thanks!

Maybe for you but all the rest of us have just said it wasn’t unbearable. :confused: I love India anytime of the year, and that extra $500 can go towards sight-seeing, souveniers.

Summer in India is tough, but not unbearably so. Some places are disastrous, especially Delhi where heavy pollution mixed with high temperatures and humidity make for unpleasant days and nights. Bombay is less polluted and less hot than Delhi, but humidity is higher, so it’s just as bad there. Outside of big cities, it isn’t so bad. Some cities, like Banaglore, are quite nice (at least that’s what they tell me - I’ve only been there once in winter).

Even better are the hill stations, where it’s positively heavenly compared to the cities - but only on weekdays. On weekends, huge populations from nearby cities descend on hillstations.

But basically yeah, drink lots of water, and go prepared. you’ll have the time of your life.

I’m in Kerala right now, and i can postively say that it’s pretty hot right now. In May, it’s going to be hotter and definitely more humid. Right now, it cools down nicely at night, but once the humidity rolls in, it’s going to be sultry even after the sun goes down.

The Deccan plateau is elevated a bit and quite dry, so even though it’s hot in the summer, it’s certainly much dryer and bearable. Unfortunately, none of the tourist hotspots are on it (that’s not to say there isn’t stuff to see).

If you’re only going to be in India for a short while, looking forward to a cool climate back home can get you through the days. But if your trip extends through Monsoon, you’ll absolutely hate it or love it.

Email me if you want any more info.

FWIW, I went July-October and got a good bit of heat as well as the monsoons. I was raised in Sacramento (where summers stay 90-100) and I found I was well prepared for the heat- though admittedly I actually love humidity. Be warned you aren’t going to find much in the way of air conditioning, and shorts aren’t really worn by adults there. If you have trouble sleeping in the heat, that could be a problem, since you’ll want at least some cover up to protect from mosquitos.

Anyway, you probably know your own answer to this. If you are one of those people that starts bitching when summer comes around, summer in India isn’t for you. But if you generally don’t have trouble with summer and are at least somewhat familiar with hot climates, 100 degrees in India isn’t all that different from 100 degrees in Sacramento or whatever (the pollution, humidity, lack of AC and population density do make it worse though). India isn’t a great place for rushed tourism anyway. Kick back, take a siesta, spend a few minutes in the shade drinking chai, spend a few days doing nothing but lounging around beach side restaurant…you’ll do fine.

I’m going to do it. Thank you all for your input.

even sven, unfortunately, the terms of the deal specify I must fly to and from Delhi. My plan is to take a pre-paid taxi to my hotel, spend a day or so sleeping off jet lag, then make some initial forays into the city for food, currency exchange, etc. before taking a train to another city. I plan to make it up as I go and not try to stick to a predefined itinerary.

(1) May is the worst month to go to India, especially the north. It’s even worse than July or August, but, hey, who knows, it might work out for you.

(2) Where are you getting this deal? I need to go to India in May.

I’m just going to have to suck it up and have fun. It’s too late to make any changes now.

Continental Airlines is having a sale on flights to Delhi. Tickets must be purchased by this Friday.

Wow, those are good fares. Too bad I’m joinign the Peace Corps or I’d buy a ticket today!

If we’re talking about the south or center of India, then it’s your call; it will be miserably hot, but we’re still talking about $500 here, and I personally would put up with a lot of heat for $500. But if you’re going to the north to see the Himalayas, I would say go in the winter; you won’t see any mountains in May.

Also, since you’re going during the low season, you’ll save a ton of money cause prices drop a lot, especially in big touristy areas like Goa, Kerala, Rajastan. So it’ll be far more than $500.

There was a recent thread asking for advice for travelling in India.

Oh, and refuse the plastic bags that every shopkeeper insists on putting your wares into. Plastic bags and bottles are a big pain in the ass.