Old 03-13-2006, 12:45 PM

One of the scariest things I've ever seen

is here (NOT for the faint-hearted, trust me on this)

It's on Snopes, under Inboxer Rebellion, in the Hoaxes section, with the tagline "Tourist dies while being photographed in the Sundarbans", if the link doesn't work. I just typed in the address at a guess because the photograph is so damn freaky.

Can anybody tell me about the text on the page? What does it say?
Advertisements  
Old 03-13-2006, 01:04 PM

Kyth... Never play Project Zero, dude.

The next page leads to other picture that this "Ghost" appears in, each one looking more photoshopped than the last. Completley fake, but ok, she is kinda creepy, in a white-asian-floating-spirit way.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:07 PM

The point is that it's a hoax. Trick photographs aren't hard to do. Indeed, these days, with Photoshop, they're extremely easy. Relax. Nobody was killed in the fabrication of this urban legend.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:09 PM

See http://www.castleofspirits.com/hoaxghost.html from the snopes links.

Shame, in the 'olden' days it would take a little skill and work on double exposure photography to make such a picture, now photoshop takes the skill out of such things.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:22 PM

I know it's fake (the way Snopes filed it kind of gave it away)--just wanted to know the story behind it. Thanks, guys.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bippy the Beardless
See http://www.castleofspirits.com/hoaxghost.html from the snopes links.

Shame, in the 'olden' days it would take a little skill and work on double exposure photography to make such a picture, now photoshop takes the skill out of such things.
It doesn't take the skill out of doing them well, though. The one in the OP is a particularly bad example of Photoshop work.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew
It doesn't take the skill out of doing them well, though. The one in the OP is a particularly bad example of Photoshop work.
Yeah. It's about as scary as a Wile E. Coyote cartoon, mostly because it looks about equally realistic.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:39 PM

Do you have any links to more realistic photoshopped asian ghost hoaxes, then?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble pop electric
Do you have any links to more realistic photoshopped asian ghost hoaxes, then?
Dude, when I photoshop an Asian ghost hoax, it looks so real you can't ever sleep again. Adult men and women are driven mad at the site of my photoshopped Asian ghost hoaxes. That's why I swore never to show one off again.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:56 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I think it's scarier that the thread below this one was "My man thong is wrong, yet...."
Old 03-14-2006, 12:30 AM

Eh, I always thought this one was scarier.

Sweet dreams.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth
Eh, I always thought this one was scarier.
Man, that 403 Error is scary as hell.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 AM

Snopes has far scarier pictures.

WARNING! The following link is creepy as hell. Do not look at it if you are easily creeped out. (It's the Brian Peppers link, for those who already have seen it.)

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/peppers.asp
Old 03-14-2006, 02:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight

WARNING! The following link is creepy as hell. Do not look at it if you are easily creeped out. (It's the Brian Peppers link, for those who already have seen it.)

Well, that's convenient. I had just decided that I never wanted to sleep again, and after seeing that picture, I'm pretty confident I won't.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:

That picture's got a date with my Call of Cthulhu group...

In the meantime, enjoy these.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

Whoa, what a babe. She's got some Goth Morticia thing going on. Did they get her phone number? I bet her computer has an ectoplasm screen. Instead of a chill, I got a chuckle. Thanks, Kyla. PS: Her favorite cereal is Ghost Toasties.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.D.
Man, that 403 Error is scary as hell.
Link rot...the nosferatu of the modern age, I tell ya.

Try this one.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Looks like the profile photos over at the SpongeBoards.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, Kytheria! Getting your name mixed up with Kyla's shows how my brain files names. Apparently it just matches the beginning and end of the name, and leaves the middle to fend for itself.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That one didn't bother me until I scrolled down and saw it's probably real. Jayz, nobody should be dealt a hand like that. Poor guy.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
Jayz, nobody should be dealt a hand like that.
Are you looking at different pictures than I am? I thought it was his face that was the problem.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
That one didn't bother me until I scrolled down and saw it's probably real. Jayz, nobody should be dealt a hand like that. Poor guy.
Yeah, I felt sorry for him, too. Then I remembered that the photo is from a page of sex offenders. Now I feel sorry for him up until the point where he committed gross sexual imposition.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:59 PM

Eeep. I live in Lucas County, Ohio - the same county where that guy's registered as a sex offender. What's more, if the address in the Ohio registry is correct, I know a guy who lives directly across the street.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weird One
Yeah, I felt sorry for him, too. Then I remembered that the photo is from a page of sex offenders. Now I feel sorry for him up until the point where he committed gross sexual imposition.
See, that's bad and all but - and I don't mean to be insensitive it just comes naturally - I don't imagine he had a whole lot of choice. I dunno, it's just a bad scene all around.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna
Sorry, Kytheria! Getting your name mixed up with Kyla's shows how my brain files names. Apparently it just matches the beginning and end of the name, and leaves the middle to fend for itself.
What?!?! How could you do this to me?!?!?!

No worries.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozu Tashoya
See, that's bad and all but - and I don't mean to be insensitive it just comes naturally - I don't imagine he had a whole lot of choice. I dunno, it's just a bad scene all around.
Like hell. He could have been born with eyestalks and tentacles, but it wouldn't mean he had no choice but to become a sex criminal.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 AM

How can an obviously fake photo that's labelled "hoax" be scary?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK
How can an obviously fake photo that's labelled "hoax" be scary?
Hey, in the right context, a video of a dark, empty room can be terrifying.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weird One
Don't think that wasn't given serious consideration and don't for even a minute think the behavior is being excused. It can't be, ever, for any reason whatsoever.

BUT... at one time that Pepper was just a kid. A fucked up, disfigured, never had a chance in hell kid. I look at the pictures of him at the bottom of the link and think "Oh hell, this poor sod's gonna catch it good." I imagine that kids being what they are: often insensitive and mean, that this Pepper had a miserable, mean, tortured upbringing. I'd be willing to guess that miserable existance had a lot to do with (if it wasn't completely responsible for) the way he turned out.

You've gotta ask yourself "Which came first... the torture or the sexual perversion?" My guess, and it's only that, is that it was the torture.

This Pepper fellow doesn't deserve a hall pass. I'll never condone sexual assault for any reason. I can't though, no matter how hard I try, refuse him some heartfelt compassion. God, I'm at a loss to even begin to imagine what that poor little fuck has had to endure.

Quote:
He could have been born with eyestalks and tentacles, but it wouldn't mean he had no choice but to become a sex criminal.
Yes and no. It's inexcusable but I have serious reservations about his cognative abilities being on par with those of the average person OR those abilities being given the same chance to develop normally as yours and mine.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Like hell. He could have been born with eyestalks and tentacles, but it wouldn't mean he had no choice but to become a sex criminal.
I would not want to judge too harshly without all the facts.

It could be he hooked up with another differently abled person and, according to the definition of gross sexual imposition if her guardian did not like the idea they could have pressed charges regardless of age, consent or perceived ability to give consent.

He could have just as easily have gotten a thirteen year old drunk until she passed out and...

Does anyone have any information or a link to specifics?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 AM

Well spoken, lieu.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:05 AM

this is creepier and much harder to fake.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCarmen
this is creepier and much harder to fake.
Looks like a guy in a dark sheet dashing forward and then backward to me. I think I can spot his feet.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yes and no. It's inexcusable but I have serious reservations about his cognative abilities being on par with those of the average person OR those abilities being given the same chance to develop normally as yours and mine.
Good point, and one I hadn't considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt
Looks like a guy in a dark sheet dashing forward and then backward to me. I think I can spot his feet.
What he said.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
And how do we know his cognitive abilities aren't up to par with yours and mine? Snopes mentions and links to a couple of the disorders that may cause his kind of facial appearance, and mental disturbances associated with the condition, while possible, weren't a usual effect. There's no evidence that he's not mentally competantójust that he's a guy who was convicted in a court of law for sex crimes, and he happens to be ugly. With a lack of facts to the contrary, I wouldn't be quick to "imagine" reasons of why he wouldn't be responsible for his actions.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 AM

Peppers has had enough.
Warning: Has sound. (not scary sound just... sad)

That link is from YTMND (You're the Man Now Dog) who recieved an email from a brother of of Brian Peppers' . (again, has sound... same sound as before)

So please, leave the poor guy alone. His life sucks enough without strangers making it worse.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:41 PM

Ranchoth, I'm thinking that for you and I and most people in general, learning the skills necessary to interact with others on an intimate basis has at least sometimes been an option available to us as we grew up. We've felt accepted, liked and were deemed worthy of another's affections and desires.

I seriously doubt Brian Pepper has ever encountered anything remotely like that. Revulsion and, at best, pity would be my guess. I would not be surprised if he didn't have the faintest idea of what to do with feelings of sexual desire towards another individual if normal intimacy is nonexistant in his world.

Again, while I don't condone his apparent unwarranted groping of a nurse, I'm loathe to suspect it was done with the same understanding and/or mailce as someone less socially incapacitated.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:00 PM
BANNED

Yeah, I'm with lieu here. Having compassion for him doesn't entail excusing what he did. Compassion is free. Trying to talk people out of it is a shitty thing to do.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibre
Yeah, I'm with lieu here. Having compassion for him doesn't entail excusing what he did. Compassion is free. Trying to talk people out of it is a shitty thing to do.
When did I try to talk anyone out having "compassion"? I just expressed doubt that he had "no choice" in his actions.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_Ides
Peppers has had enough.
Warning: Has sound. (not scary sound just... sad)
All I get is a title screen and some video-game-like music. Am I missing something?
Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by riker1384
All I get is a title screen and some video-game-like music. Am I missing something?
There's some text that points out that he's in a wheelchair, lives in a nursing home, and his charge stemmed from groping a nurse. (Which is definetly a bad thing, no doubt, but it's not like he was molesting little kids, or something.) Then it lays a guilt trip on everyone who circulated the photo or made jokes about him, and then loops back to the beginning.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:31 PM

Can someone please tell me what's so creepy about the Brian Peppers guy so I don't have to click on any links and scare myself to death?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen
Can someone please tell me what's so creepy about the Brian Peppers guy so I don't have to click on any links and scare myself to death?
He has a condition that makes his face look squished. Poor guy.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 AM

The letter from his brother also states that he has very poor muscle control and that he claims he was trying to get his nurse's attention when he accidentally ripped her skirt. The letter is worth reading.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Link rot...the nosferatu of the modern age, I tell ya.

Try this one.
I saw that picture in a book when I was....oh, I'd say 14 or so. Scared the holy bejeezus out of me.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizarvexius
I saw that picture in a book when I was....oh, I'd say 14 or so. Scared the holy bejeezus out of me.
I think that the Sundarbans is really creepy. Of course, it's fake, but the concept of that kind of ghost around is muy scario.
Now, however, to me, this pic is just a photoshop of somebody in the Walmart mask that they use in the Scream movies.
hh
Old 04-08-2006, 10:36 PM

I apologize for my supidity. But is this the guy with the really big eyes? I think I have seen the picture but I didn't know his name was Brian Peppers.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs O'Malley's Cow
I apologize for my supidity. But is this the guy with the really big eyes? I think I have seen the picture but I didn't know his name was Brian Peppers.
Oh, and I am too much of a chicken shit to click any of the links.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:

No, it's a so-called "ghost" photo.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Probably the one you're thinking of...but there's no way to be sure until you...CLICK THE LINK! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!! MWAHAHAHAH...

Yeah, his eyes are pretty large and goggly for his face. But then, everything in his face is misproportioned.

Guin was referring to the pic in the OP, of course (but evidently missed the fact that you were not).