About the old e-zine, "teemings"

What are our legal considerations and obligations if a group of us wanted to revive “teemings” sometime this year, say, by this summer’s end and contributing quarterly thereafter?

There appears to be some interest in an offhand query I started in Cafe Society and I think I need to run this past the Mods first, especially if this needs to run farther up the chain of command to the Chicago Reader.

I don’t work for the Reader, but so long as you do not infringe the copyrights or trademarks of the Chicago Reader, and so long as you have copyright permission from the contributors to said work, the Reader really doesn’t have any say in the matter. If you want to use graphics and text which are copyrighted or trademarked by the Reader, then you would need their involvement by asking permissions politely, explaining what exactly would be used and in what context, who would be responsible, etc, etc.

See the copyright notice at the bottom of each page here. You are free to re-use what you post wherever you please.

That portion is not intended as official advice, FTR. For advice on what the Reader would need, an Administrator here would have to tell you exactly what to do.

Una, thanks. The graphics thing was one consideration, as well as the use of the word “teemings” and maybe a few other things I hadn’t thought of. I assume just like any other work I post on the internet, whatever I uniquely create is mine, but in this case the Chicago Reader still has the right to my work because I created it here. That sort of thing.

The Chicago Reader has the right to use your work as it says in the footer. That’s a necessary evil of a message board, otherwise people would shut down boards quickly with frivilous legal threats (“so and so quoted my post and violated my copyright!”). You can do anything you want with your work here, provided it is your work and not a copyright infringment of anyone else, including selling it.

An Administrator will tell you what you need to know and/or who to contact about using trademarks or copyrighted graphics, etc. I am unaware that “Teemings” has been trademarked, but could be wrong. It’s also possible that there may be some interpersonal issues to resolve with the last editors of Teemings with use of the name, etc. - not saying that there are, but just as a generic rule of thumb, it’s something to keep in mind.

You could always pick a new name, too. IIRC Eutychus wanted to use the word “Steamings” for erotica-based works…so something that rhymes could be fun.

“Dreamings?”

I think you also need to talk to Euty.

Y’all come back to us when you’re ready and let’s see what the Reader has to say about it.

TubaDiva

Una Presson. Continuity and consistency is kind of important to periodical growth, so I’d like to re-use teemings, (lower-case “t”, italicized… I didn’t do that my first couple of posts) before having the e-zine staff decide on a new name. “Steamings” is intriguing, though.

TubaDiva. Good advice. We’s all thank y’all kindly.