Bring out the gimp? (Pulp Fiction spoilers)

So, I’m watching Pulp Fiction tonight, and the Zed/Gimp scene comes on. I started wondering: is this scene purely from the mind of Quentin Tarentino, or does stuff like this actually exist? I mean, are there really guys in this country who would capture a couple random other guys just to tie them up, beat them and sodomize them? Especially in the middle of Los Angeles.

And what’s the deal with The Gimp? Is that some other guy they captured and keep in a box for their own occasional fun? Or is he somehow a willing participant in Zed and Spider’s deviant lifestyle?

And most importantly, it’s been 12 years. Do I still have to point out there are spoilers in this post?

I can’t help you with this question, but it kind of reminds me of folks that play very oddball roles in movies. Can you imagine going in to a job interview?

“Do you have any acting experience?”

“Yeah, I played The Gimp in Pulp Fiction”

:dubious: “…We’ll call you.”

“Huh. That’s the seventh one this week.” Seriously, how could they tell?

While we are with Pulp Fiction, why does ‘the Wolf’ write “Dean Martin” in his notebook? My apology for the digression.

I don’t think he does. However, “Dead Marvin” would look mighty similar when written. Does he write that? I know he writes something like: Jules = Black; Vincent = White; One body - no head.

Actually, a better way to phrase the OP might be “What movie did Tarantino see that has a scene with two guys and a gimp in it that inspired him to write a similar scene in Pulp Fiction:wink:

You’re a very sheltered person, aren’t you? Stay that way, you’ll sleep better at night.

Oooh, that sounded snarkier than I intended. It was meant to be kind, in a “I wouldn’t pursue this if you don’t want to have nightmares” kind of way. I don’t know a whole lot about the World of Violent Kink, but I know enough to know that there are things people do to themselves and each other that I don’t WANT to know about.

shudder

Read the name of the movie again, especially the second word.

Pulp fiction (lower case) was never about realism.

My read is that he’s probably willing. But it really doesn’t matter, does it?

I’ve always seen him as a willing participant. Otherwise, why wouldn’t he just release Butch so they could escape together? Why would he attempt to warn the rapists when Butch gets loose?

there is absolutely no market for this type of stuff…

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=30&hl=en&lr=lang_en&c2coff=1&client=safari&rls=en&q=bondage+rubber+suit&btnG=Search

Stockholm Syndrome.

This was on TV the other day and even though I love this movie, have seen it a dozen times, and have it on DVD, it was the first time I noticed the Buddy Holly waiter at Jackrabbit Slim’s. “Hey, that’s Steve Buscemi!” :smack: :smack: :smack:
(Don’t know why I never caught that before)

Yes, it’s fiction. Why discuss it at all? :dubious:

As in Stockholm, Finland.

It’s interesting the way they edited that scene on TV to almost completely remove the gimp. I wondered about it since ithe leathered-up slave gimp is not explicit per se, just disturbing.

And it is especially disturbing that YES, there are freaky folk out there that do this kind of thing. And you might be acquainted with some of them without ever suspecting…

It’s a credited role. :slight_smile: Stephen Hibbert.

You’ve been watching too much “Die Hard.” “Stockholm” is the correct name of the syndrome; “Helsinki” is the misnomer.

Yeah, it was supposed to be a joke, a play on the newscaster who got it all wrong in “Die Hard” (even though the movie used the incorrect name for the syndrome, he still got it wrong).

Ah. Sorry, I’m suffering from Whoosh Syndrome.