Do you get mad at video games?

I do. I’m not quite as bad as this guy (WARNING: loud, bad language!) but I get very, very annoyed at certain games. Even if I tell myself it’s just a game, etc., I still get really angry and frustrated. Yet it’s still fun. It’s usually with really difficult, frustrating games like (grrr) Ninja Gaiden Black.

I get mad when I get robbed. Be it of a good/satisfying ending, or a really really impossible puzzle with no reward, or goddamn time limits.

No, I don’t get mad at the good ones, though.

Only when a game blatently cheats.

Example: Earlier today I was playing some Hot Shots Golf IV for the PS2. I was moving nicely through a tournament, staying ahead of the pack. Across the back nine, “Toby” was catching up to me. As I stepped up to the 18th tee, he and I were tied at -8. I dropped in a birdie for a 9-under finish, which should’ve been good enough for the win. Then it showed “Toby’s” performance: a birdie to finish at 10-under.

Ummm…exfuckingwellscuse me? He was just at 8-under…a birdie puts him at 9-under, not 10-under! That earned the game a quick no-save shutdown. :mad:

Holy crap! Real life pwned.nl (profanity, cartoon violence).

I definitely shouted at my TV when the final boss from FFVIII pulled off the cheapest combo ever: a move which dropped everyone’s HP to 1, immediately followed by a magic spell which targeted everyone. Bascially instant death unless knew it was coming. This happened after an hour long boss fight.

I hate games that cheat. GTA does it all the time. I just finished GTA: SA, and it does the same thing. You’re in a car chasing someone and there are hundreds of cars everywhere, actively messing with you. Running into, cutting you off, etc. The moment you’ve damaged your car enough you have to jump out and hijack another it’s… ::chirp, chirp:: Not a dang car to be seen for miles.

Sorry, but that’s cheating. So I cheat right back. Don’t wanna give me a car? tap, tap, tappity tap tap. There! I’ll just use my jetpack, you bastards!

He was probably only on the 17th hole… and got a birdie on the last two. The other people aren’t always on the same hole as you when it shows the scoreboard.

I make a distinction between games that are hard, but fair, like Call of Duty 2 on Hardened / Veteran, and games that are just gratuitously hard, like the bosses in Gaiden.

In COD2, if you play carefully and pay attention, you can get through every situation. Occasionally one of your NPC guys will stand behind you like a moron, blocking your exit from a room with a grenade in it, or will stand there shouting “potato masher!” and get blown up, but other than that it rewards good play.

Then you have characters like the airship boss on Gaiden, who can surround himself with a shield if you do too well against him, grab you and throttle you if you get too close, or zap you with an undodgeable laser from the other side of the arena if you keep your distance. :mad:

Not to mention the guy you’re chasing taking turns at full speed and staying on the road. I couldn’t even keep up with the damn fire truck…

I don’t get mad. But I refuse to buy any strategy game which doesn’t indicate whether it’s real-time or turn-based. I also hate linear games.

Nothing get’s me more pissed than when I’m playing GTA and I’ve invested ten or fifteen minutes on a mission only to blow it when I’m seconds away from completing it, and now I have to do it all over again.

Or… if I’m playing chess on yahoo and I make a bonehead move and some guy I could wipe the floor with makes me pay for it.

That’s a bit like on Need for Speed, when you’ve run a perfect race and are 30 seconds ahead of your rivals, then you plow into what looks like one of the many destructible bits of scenery but actually brings you to a halt, so you can watch the others race past you.

Naa, it’s just plain 'ol cheating. Although they may run the tourney with a shotgun start, you’ve all still played the same amount of holes. When I finish the first hole, “Toby” shows on the scoreboard as finishing a hole as well.

I had some of the same problems with Vice city.

Particulary “The Driver”, when the cops notice you drag racing another guy, but they only try to smash your car into the wall. And if you finish just behind the other guy, his car will slow to a stop and be empty(so you can’t beat the living crap out of him).

Or you’ve got a bunch of haitians trying to kill you, but if you start trying to kill them, the cops immediatly come down on your ass? Dude, what about the gang of heavily armed hatians, SHOOTING AT ME? Why do they get a free pass?

Poor AI is sometimes frustrating. I was playing “Rome: Total War” last night and I had two armies besieging a gallic city. One was huge, and the other pretty small. The gauls attacked my smaller army, but my larger army was there as reinforcements.

Unfortunatly, somehow they ended up computer controlled, with me controlling the smaller army. I thought, “hey, no big deal. I’ll just link up with the big army and kick their french asses”. Except the bigger, AI army, took their dear sweet time getting there, so I had to fight off a number of attacked with just my small forces.

I even managed to get inside the gates and “Capture the walls”. Unfortunally, my bigger army just marched around outside it, doing nothing. Apparently because the AI is that of a retarded monkey.

I ended up having to use my small force to take the entire city myself. I felt good when I finished, and it makes an interesting story, but I really hate the AI now.

Only one case I remember getting “mad” at a video game (though it wasn’t really getting “mad” per se, I was just letting out my agressions): I recall when I was younger shouting at Ganondorf and calling him an idiot several times during the final boss battle in The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. Nowadays, I would probably be more like, “oh well, it’s only a game, I’ll get him next time.”

I only get mad at games that I can’t beat. I’m supposed to be smarter than a bunch of electronics, dammit!

I hate random encounters, especially when you’re trying to map the area and the monsters just keep popping up. Oh and my mum likes to play an impossibly arcane Chinese card game on the computer. It cheats. Cheating card programs suck.

I rarely get so frustrated with a game I compulsively shut it down and uninstall it. Black and White 2 just had me at my limit. There was one level where everytime I started to get my little city together and really get going, the enemy would hail down freaking tornadoes and earthquakes and then immediately attack. And it wasn’t just one or two in the level… it was constant, about every twenty minutes or so. I still haven’t reinstalled it, though I would like to play it again. :mad:

Oi, I hear you there. B&W was a great game but DAMN the freaking enemy did some MEAN stuff…

But overall, as long as the rewards are substatial enough, I’ll play through just about anything, or try to. Hmmm, rewards… I gotta go find Gals Panic again now… :smiley:

I don’t really have much excuse to, because I’m terrible, but yes. “#@#%&#! You stupid piece of #&#$! Run the other way! The other way!”

:smiley: