Neutron Star - Look and feel?

Imagine you had an anti-gravity device that allowed you to land on a neutron star. (I know, quite a supposition) What would you be landing on? What would it look and feel like? It reflects light, would it be shiny? Silvery?
Would it taste like chicken? :smiley:

I recal a character in a Larry Niven story clasiming that it would be a perfect mirror, since it would pull everything flat. That doesn’t convince me – even if tryue, it could’ve been perfectly black. Besides, if everythuing was flat, where would Robert Forward’s aliens from Dragon’s Egg be?

I’m going to guess that “black” would be a pretty good guess. Except, of course, that it’s hot, so it’d also be glowing. Which is not a contradiction; it just means that it’d be glowing in a very specific, well-understood manner. You could also wait for it to cool down (which they all do eventually, since there’s no longer any energy source keeping them warm), in which case it’d just look like what most folks think of as black and not glowing.

As for texture, the interior is a superfluid (so it’d behave like, say, water, only more so), but that’s surrounded by a crust, which is expected to be somewhat crunchier. Just exactly how much crunchier is something of a matter of debate, but it’s generally supposed to be far more rigid than any Earthly material. The biggest evidence for a super-rigid crust is the “starquakes” observed in pulsar timing data; were the crust of any mere sensible strength, then all of the energy we see sporadically dissipated in the quakes would instead have dissipated almost immediately when the neutron star formed.

Isn’t that a metafluid?

I assume you’re referring to blackbody radiation here, but how would the neutrons thermalize with the electromagnetic field (i.e. the photons)? They don’t have charge, so the photons and the neutrons should just act like two non-interacting systems. Or am I missing something?

There are lots of electrons and protons in a neutron star: What generates the magnetic field of a neutron star ?

Back to how it would “feel”. Thing is, you couldn’t touch it. If you have an antigravity field that protects you from the gravity of the neutron star the field will have to surround your whole body. If you stick the tips of your fingers out of the field to touch the neutron star, the tips of your fingers are going to be pulled off.

Another thread on the physical properties of neutron stars and the macroscopic properties of Neutronium.

In Protector, the neutronium was a perfect mirror because it was encased in a Slaver stasis field, which is mirrorlike.

I think something made of neutronium would look more like this.

Niven hijack.

No, the neutronium wasn’t encased in a stasis field. Louis Wu and the Trinoc both mistook the cold neutron star for a slaver stasis box because both reflected neutrinos from their deep radar.

It’d look like Halle Berry?

Neutron Star Jones?

Umm… dude… Protector. Not Tales of Known Space. Big, doughnut-shaped space station out in the cometary halo, with a ball in the center of the doughnut, at the center of which was an 8’ diameter ball of neutronium, kept in a stasis field due to the surface gravity measured in the millions of gravities. If this online encyclopedia is a valid reference, see here.
woo! providing a cite for a hijack! yeah, baby!