Old MacDonald Crisis!!! What does the goat say?

I need help. My 15 month old thinks her mommy’s an idiot.

The chicken says “Cluck-cluck”

The kitty says “Meow!”

The doggy says “Woof-woof!”

The cow says “MOOOOooooo!”

The rooster says “Cock-a-doodle-doo!”

The sheep says “Baaaaaa”

The pig says “Oink-oink-oink!”

The horse says “Neiiiiigh!”

What do goats say?

(I really must get out of the house more.)

I believe it is also “Baaaa.”

You can make this distinct from the sheep by saying “meh-eh-eh-eh” and stuttering the last syllable. I can’t really explain it other than to tell you to bleat. You’ll know when you’ve got it right because the kid will fall over giggling at the face you have to make.

Another vote for “ma-a-a-a” (pronounced as in “ma-a-a-a-a-ashed potatoes.”)

(Or we could just ask the official SDMB goat. Who had him last, anyway?)

Yup, meh-eh-eh-eh. (that’s more of the imitation of the sound, for notation I might go with the baaaa though)

<Hijack> My mother was sitting in the backeat with my oldest son when he was about a year old on a road trip. She was flipping through an animal book keeping occupied doing the “What does a cow say? Mooo.”

Then she flipped the page and said “What does a rabbit say?..” Silence ensued as my wife and I exchanged glances before bursting out in laughter, and asking “Yeah, GrandMaw, what does a rabbit say?”

-rainy

“I knew I shoulda taken dat left toin at Albuquerque!”

You could also try “bleat, bleat, bleat.” I know that’s not really an onomatopoeia but neithers is “cluck, cluck, cluck.”

Ok, you city slickers - the goat goes na-a-a.

Tess
Farmer’s daughter and former childrens librarian

Hold on there with the name-calling! Speaking as a person raised in rural Georgia with a mother who farmed registered Toggenburg goats, I’ll give some credance to your na-a-a one of a goat’s vocalizations, usually a forlorn or weary one - heard it many times delivering kids. The meh-eh-eh I think is the more common, everyday vocalization, however.

-rainy

Just make sure you don’t say “meh.” That just sounds like the goat is unimpressed.

What if you have a goat that goes “Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye”?

Trip trap trip trap.

The goat goes, “Cite!”

I may be a no good city slicker (to some degree at least) but isn’t “cluck, cluck, cluck” at least slightly onomatopoeic? If I were asked to do a chicken impression, which granted isn’t a daily occurence, I think I would do something along the lines of “cluck, cluck, cluck, cluckaaaawww” though probably without a very hard ‘k’.

Thanks, everyone!

'Though this city slicker is beginning to think there’s no such thing as a goat. They’re just funny looking sheep with short hair, right? :smiley:

Wasn’t there an Animaniacs skit where they were doing that, and got to Giraffe? Not much else to add to this.

-Otanx

A couple of times when I helped out in preschools/creches, rabbits did actually feature in the Old MacDonald song; there was no sound associated with them, but the kids all had to twitch their noses (or try to). - With a [twitch twitch] here and a [twitch twitch] there…

My favourite thing though, was to throw a spanner in the works by putting in “And on that farm, he had a tortoise…” - stunned silence, then fits of laughter, every time

The goat says: “Take that straw out of my ass, you moron!”

what really bugged me when I was in kindergarten was the rooster that said “cock-a-doodle-doo”. It just didnt seem natural…

An injured rabbit makes a high pitched, nerve shattering squeal. Wanna give the kid nightmares? :wink: