The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 05-09-2006, 05:55 PM

Why is an overbite sexy?

If this belongs in IMHO, mods, feel free to move it. I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I've heard several guys, here and other places, remark that overbites are sexy. I'd just like to find out why.

Thanks!
Advertisements  
Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 PM

I dunno. But I agree with Hawkeye on M*A*S*H: Olivia de Havilland's overbite just did something for me.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

It's that whole Dracula thing, don'tcha know?

More seriously, I'm a guy and have a significant overbite and it gives me rabbit teeth. Very unsexy.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Obviously, it's in the eye of the beholder. Wait here until someone is able to articulate what he finds sexy about it. I'll say that I find it particularly UNsexy. I associate it with a lack of intelligence (don't ask why - maybe from early comic books or cartoons), and for me, that's a definite turn OFF. Makes no sense to me, at all.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:34 PM

I'm sure a variety of answers will pop up. But part of it may be due to overbites sometimes making the woman look somewhat younger. Youth equals freshness, innocence, and perhaps even a bite of taboo forbidden fruit, tho I would say most of that is probably subliminal. ymmv

I am one of those guys that has commented on certain actresses overbites here on these boards. And I do tend to gravitate towards petite, youthful (at least youthful appearing) women. Maybe it goes all the way back to my own youth and getting my world rocked by a certain young lass with a bit of an overbite. First appearances and whot not, ya know? Or maybe I'm a perv. Only Vivalostwages, Jaade, Maureen, and Bryan Ekers can say for sure.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 PM

I don't have any particular reaction to overbites, one way or the other. But someone with an underbite is just plain scary.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy

I am one of those guys that has commented on certain actresses overbites here on these boards.

Can you (or anyone else) cite some current actresses who have overbites and are considered sexy? I just can't think of who that is off the top of my head... maybe I just don't pay attention to that thing (I tend not to notice large breasts, either).
Old 05-10-2006, 11:33 AM

Liv Tyler is one I've heard mentioned.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 AM

Well, there's Geena Davis. Not necessarily the hottest burner on the stove, but she was considered a looker not too long ago (wasn't she?). And don't forget aboutIsabella Rossellini .

I have a slight overbite that ,while I'm not super selfconscious about it (I don't have time for that kind of nonsense), I don't find it one of my better physical attributes. A male friend has always considered it uber sexy. Says it attracts attention to my mouth and subconsciously makes him think of blow jobs. Of course, he's a borderline sex addict, so I tend to suspect a lot of things make him think of blow jobs
Old 05-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB
Well, there's Geena Davis. Not necessarily the hottest burner on the stove, but she was considered a looker not too long ago (wasn't she?). And don't forget aboutIsabella Rossellini .
That's overbite? When I think overbite, I think Marge Simpson.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott
That's overbite? When I think overbite, I think Marge Simpson.

Ohhhhhh. Then I got nothing.
Maybe moonstarssun can specify what he considers and overbite?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:59 AM

I find perfect in line, one on top of the other teeth scary. Like android scary. *shudder*
Old 05-10-2006, 12:00 PM

I've got a pretty obnoxious one going on. But it never left me dateless.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:07 PM

I'm a she.

I'm thinking of someone (like me) whose upper and lower incisors don't touch when their teeth are closed. Like so. (Disclaimer: these are not my teeth.)

I don't mean a severe overbite that causes the teeth to stick out and look rabbity and that makes it impossible to close your mouth fully.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 PM

The same one I always have. Home is identical, except I don't have a VNC launcher on the panel.

I <3 xfce.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black455
The same one I always have. Home is identical, except I don't have a VNC launcher on the panel.

I <3 xfce.
Uhhhh... wrong thread.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black455

I <3 xfce.
Missed your target thread by a bit, there.

On topic, I think I find them sexy because I have one, and for me, like attracts like. Of course, few people have as severe ones as I do, but even a little one can be very cute.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 PM

Sorry about the gender bender, moonstarssun

It's kind of hard to tell from that photo, without the context of lips and a face. So, you have what you consider to be an overbite? Are you selfconscious and want to know if / why some people think it's sexy, or have you been complimented on it but don't understand why?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry about the gender bender, moonstarssun

It's kind of hard to tell from that photo, without the context of lips and a face. So, you have what you consider to be an overbite? Are you selfconscious and want to know if / why some people think it's sexy, or have you been complimented on it but don't understand why?
Hey, no prob. I'll just have to type more girly.

It's the latter. Like you, I always considered it a minor flaw, but not one that I particularly worried about. But to hear some people talk, it seems like there's something very attractive about it and I just don't get it.

I don't necessarily care about whether someone has an overbite, but I think too-perfect teeth are a bit of a turnoff. Imperfection is a good thing.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:06 PM

I donít know about an overbite, but Iíve always (Iíve never told this before) kind of dug it when a woman has a snaggletooth, you know, one slightly crooked tooth. I have no idea why.

Underbites are scary because having one means youíre a werewolf.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM

Imperfection is a good thing! I don't have a problem with "nice teeth" but those veneers are pretty squicky.

Anyway, what about dudes with overbites? I couldn't really think of any except Jim Carey and my beloved, super sexy Freddie Mercury (though his was extreme and not the bigger part of his charm). Oh, and of course Steven Tyler

Can anyone think of attractive males with overbites? If so, are their teeth part of the attraction?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun
I donít know about an overbite, but Iíve always (Iíve never told this before) kind of dug it when a woman has a snaggletooth, you know, one slightly crooked tooth. I have no idea why.
In Japan a snaggletooth is considered very attractive - like a charm.

Sort of like Marilyn Monroe or Cindy Crawford's mole.

An overbite can tend to make the lips stick out somewhat, which can give you (as a male friend of my rather indelicately put it) cock-suckers mouth. I assume you can figure out the appeal of that.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland
An overbite can tend to make the lips stick out somewhat, which can give you (as a male friend of my rather indelicately put it) cock-suckers mouth. I assume you can figure out the appeal of that.
I wondered if that was it...

Hmm...I have an overbite and a snaggletooth. Guess I should be glad I never bothered with braces, huh?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM

Um. No. Please, illustrate this techniq-...er...example for me.

please?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:37 PM

Maybe it reminds the overbite lovers of a man/woman biting their bottom lip in passion (do it, you'll see what I mean).
Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstarssun
mm...I have an overbite and a snaggletooth.
Me too. I can certainly attest that some folks find it hot.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:13 PM

Olivia D'Abo is always one that copmes to my mind. When she was on L&O:CI, they played up that feature to maximum effect with regard to camera angles and her facial expressions and mannerisms in general.

And I should add, no, a severe overbite is not sexy. No dental problems are ever sexy. The slight overbite is what I'm always refering too when I speak of it being sexy. Also, see my earlier post for some wags as to just why it's sexy. To me. yobmv.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 PM

It's true

My husband is an oral surgeon and he has always commented that teeth that have a little bit of an overbite or snaggle-tooth are much sexier than perfectly straight teeth. He said they are more real and friendlier to look at. I could have mine straightened easily bit choose not to because he finds it sexy. My overbite is so slight that most people would not even consider it an overbite. However, it is enough of one to give me a fuller top lip....so I'm keeping it.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Youth equals freshness, innocence, and perhaps even a bite of taboo forbidden fruit, tho I would say most of that is probably subliminal. ymmv
It's much simpler than that: Youth equals fertility. Men value youth in women, but women don't mind older men, because women go through menopause, and men don't.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Gene Tierney , to quote the NYTimes obit for her:

Quote:
With her blue-green eyes, brown hair, prominent cheekbones and what many young men of the 1940's regarded as the most appealing overbite of the day (Miss Tierney said her movie contract stipulated that her slightly protruding front teeth were never to be fixed) she won plaudits for her patrician look but some criticism for her acting.
[emphasis mine]

Hummina, hummina.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-07-2010 at 01:52 PM..
Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Why does an underbite=youth, though?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:14 PM

I have no clue. I had never heard that it might be an attractive thing to anyone until this thread.

IMO overbite = weak chin. Weak chin = one of the least attractive features on anyone. If you're a man, start wearing a beard as soon as you can grow one; if you're a woman, you're SOL.

Cleetus The Slackjawed Yokel. Ick.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 PM

When I read the title to this thread, I was reminded of the movie Innerspace, in which Martin Short's character is talking about Meg Ryan and comments that "she's got the cutest little overbite". She was a babe in that movie, no question about it, but I can't say that I recall her overbite being one of the things I found especially attractive about her.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy

I am one of those guys that has commented on certain actresses overbites here on these boards.

Can you (or anyone else) cite some current actresses who have overbites and are considered sexy? I just can't think of who that is off the top of my head... maybe I just don't pay attention to that thing (I tend not to notice large breasts, either).
Not current, obviously, but my favorite examples of slight but noticeable overbites that (somehow, I don't know how) contributed to their beauty, were Ingrid Bergman and Gene Tierney. Also Ingrid's daughter, Isabella Rosellini, has almost the same overbite as her mother.

Roddy
Old 10-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
Obviously, it's in the eye of the beholder. Wait here until someone is able to articulate what he finds sexy about it. I'll say that I find it particularly UNsexy.
Yeah, UNsexy, for sure.

Quote:
I associate it with a lack of intelligence (don't ask why - maybe from early comic books or cartoons),
It's from the "slack jawed yokel" sterotype (like Cletus from The Simpsons). I think, IMHO, the origins have something to do with oral-motor skills associated with Down Syndrome. My goddaughter's parents did a lot of physio-like exercises when she was wee in order to improve jaw stability and coordination.

Last edited by Swallowed My Cellphone; 10-07-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Old 10-07-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Not current, obviously, but my favorite examples of slight but noticeable overbites that (somehow, I don't know how) contributed to their beauty, were Ingrid Bergman and Gene Tierney. Also Ingrid's daughter, Isabella Rosellini, has almost the same overbite as her mother.
The best example of a Hollywood overbite was Barbara Stanwyck.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:29 PM

I don't know about overbites, but I think some small flaws add to a person's beauty, or maybe they highlight the other beautiful features. I personally like a crooked nose in a man, for example.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:59 PM

I find some overbites sexy, and some not. Why? I don't know, and I don't think it's important.

I'm of the firm belief that any reasons we come up with for what we find sexy are simply intellectualizations of what is a more emotional or primal response. It's not like I look at a woman, evaluate the symmetry of her face, evaluate the relationship between her eyes and nose, evaluate the clearness or color of her skin, and a thousand other things, and then make a pros vs cons list from which I can make an informed decision. I certainly don't think that an overbite is youthful therefore sexy, or that it draws attention to the mouth, therefore blowjob. I've certainly seen unattractive women talking. Just because they're using their mouths doesn't mean I want them to blow me.

To evaluate a woman like that, on all the little things, would take minutes at least, perhaps longer. But I know in a small fraction of a second if I like how someone looks. I just don't think that fast. The intellectual part of my brain can't make those split second decisions.

I think it's more of an imprinting thing. I once liked someone with that overbite, and now I associate it with sexy.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl1229 View Post
My husband is an oral surgeon and he has always commented that teeth that have a little bit of an overbite or snaggle-tooth are much sexier than perfectly straight teeth.
I didn't even know they had a sexiness-measuring instrument... I guess it's one of those sharp tools between the drool-sucking nozzle and the spit tray?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 PM

It's definitely the youthful look I think. Also on a woman who is otherwise generically pretty, it adds a bit of character.

I'm pretty sure Pattie Boyd had one back in the 60's. I remember as a rabbit-toothed preteen being assuaged by the fact that if my number one musician crush would go for a girl with an overbite, surely there was hope for me.

Last edited by Electric Warrior; 10-07-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Well, there's Geena Davis. Not necessarily the hottest burner on the stove, but she was considered a looker not too long ago (wasn't she?).
For a 50+ year old woman I'd say she looks pretty stunning, frankly. But then, I've always been a sucker for tall, intelligent, just slightly gawky looking women with a 5000 lumen smile.

A mild overbite is attractive because it makes the upper lip tend to protrude forward and up, as if just ready to form a smile. No mystery about that; people who smile are more attractive to other people. One might attribute a theoretical advantage in performing fellatio as suggested by alice_in_wonderland's crass friend, but unless you're a Georgia redneck with hinged front teeth I doubt it makes any practical difference.

Stranger
Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 PM

I dunno, but I always find people who look like they could play the trumpet more attractive.

I also think you'd be surprised at how unobvious an underbite is. I know a girl who had jaw surgery to fix an underbite, and her face became very, very square looking. She was much more attractive earlier. I hope she did it for other than cosmetic reasons.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Jennifer Connelly (sigh...)

Naomi Watts

Just slight enough to make all the difference.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
Quote:
Jennifer Connelly (sigh...)

Naomi Watts

Just slight enough to make all the difference.
Maria De Medeiros

The precocious, and sexy little, french, scamp from Pulp fiction with a "Pooch Belly". She sorta pings all my valves with her pooch belly, dark hair, unusual upside down triangle lips, small mouth, square jaw and overbite... all enough fertile imperfections and a sexual symmetry that really attract me. Maybe her mouth reminds me of a Vagina.

Last edited by devilsknew; 10-08-2010 at 10:24 PM..
Old 10-08-2010, 10:31 PM

k what are you people talking about?

These people have overbites? Then who doesn't?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post

I was thinking more like Kari Byron from Mythbusters, and Baby Lisa from Dog the Bounty Hunter.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM

I find a slight overbite pretty damn sexy. The way it makes the upper lip stick out a bit just seems like an invitation for smiles and kisses and doing slightly obscene things with mouths.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think we're being a bit fluid with the definition. Geena Davis I can see... Beverly d'Angelo is another. Naomi Watts and Jennifer Connelly just seem to have large front teeth. Isabella Rosselini? Well, it's an "overbite" in the sense that it's not an underbite, but I wouldn't have singled her out...
Old 10-08-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that was my thought, too...don't most people have that? I don't know many people whose front teeth rest perfectly on their bottom teeth...
Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Quote:

Yeah, that was my thought, too...don't most people have that? I don't know many people whose front teeth rest perfectly on their bottom teeth...
Me three.