Total War fans...thoughts on the up coming Medieval II

I’m a big fan of the Total War series. Rome, TW was and is one of my all time favorite games…in fact, I still play it regularly! I’ve been waiting since TW: Rome to see what was next up for the series.

The answer, appearently, is Medieval II. When I first found out that they were re-doing Medieval I have to admit I was disappointed. After all, they have already done the period…and though I really liked the first game, I was looking forward to something new. My hope was for a game set in the Napoleonic Wars period (sort of everything Imperial Glory SHOULD have been).

However, now that I’ve read into what exactly they are doing with the new Medieval II TW game I have to say I’m kind of excited about it. It looks like they are going to do a lot of the things they did in Rome (no surprise there) with the 3D maps and integration between the strategic and the tactical parts of the game (if your army is on a bridge or whatever, thats the terrain you will fight on in the tactical map)…but a whole lot more features.

Anyway, the game is months away from being ready, but I thought I’d ask what folks here who are TW fans think of the new game and the new company putting this one out (Activision, alas, seems to be no more :frowning: ). Do you think it will maintain the same high standards? Are you looking forward to the game? What do you think of re-making Medieval instead of going with a new time period? What period do you wish/hope they do next?

-XT

I heard there was a Napoleonic mod about for Rome Total War, I thought it would have made sense as a sequel.

Well, I just got Rome:TW, so I’m not in a hurry for the next one. Rome is nice, but I have to get used to it because it’s very different from the previous ones.

I have heard there was a Mod for RTW set in the Napoleonic Wars, but haven’t tried out ANY mods for Rome yet. If someone has a link and has tried it, I would appreciate it.

The diplomacy sounds much deeper than either the original MTW or Rome for that matter. And the screen shots look pretty damn cool IMHO. I’m hoping they do much more with castles…I really like the city assaults/defenses in RTW and hope that translates well into the new MII.

Can’t wait to have my gold Swiss Armored Pikemen and heavy Gothic Knight units! Something to definitely look forward too this winter IMHO. :slight_smile:

-XT

Between this, an expansion for Civ IV, and Spore, this is going to be a very good year for me.
Like you I was hoping for them to do a Napoleonic era. I have Imperial Glory, and it was just lacking. But until they make that, I’ll gladly play the medieval era.

Have you guys ever played a TW game taking turns on a message board? There’s another message board I go to that did that a few times, but I didn’t have the game then. It sounded a lot of fun though. One player plays until the faction leader dies, and then emails the save file to the next player, who plays until the next leader dies, and so on.

Nope, I’ve never tried that. I wish you could play the game against other players (not just the tactical battles).

Myself, I’m also looking forward to the Warhammer 40k expansion due out in the fall, as well as the new Quake battles game. And I suppose I’ll pick up the World of Warcraft expansion when they get around to tossing it out. It IS going to be a good year. :wink:

Yeah, Imperial Glory was a bit of a disappointment. Oh well…maybe that will be the NEXT TW game. :slight_smile: Though they might remake the Shogun one next I suppose…

-XT