1 bottle Franks Red Hot Sauce
mix and warm

1 bag IQF wings
bake at 425 for 1 1/2 hours. Turn half way through and spray with PAM

mix and enjoy.

mmmm… damn. Yummy.

I mouse-overed this thread going,

“But how can you improve upon the classic Frank’s Red Hot and butter?”

Then I saw the honey. Genius. Pure genius.
But baked? Get thyself a deep fryer, STAT!

Recipe looks good to me, but I gotta :dubious: the baking part.

And the classic is Frank’s Red Hot and margarine.

But, yes, honey is an excellent addition, and does well to counterbalance some of the harsh acidity of Frank’s.

I wanted to avoid deep frying. Too much grease and mess. The baking and spraying with Pam made the wings crispy on the outside, meaty inside. I’ve tried baking’em before with less than optimal results; this time they were virtually identical in texture to deep fried.

Wow - I’m a total (Buffalo) Wing snob, and I’m definitely going to try this!

M

This is much the same recipe we used at the restaurant I worked at 13 or so years ago. There is no substitute for Franks.

bake at 425 for 1 1/2 hours

Chicken wings???

I just use salt and Frank’s Red Hot and bake them. I think they taste better this way than with butter/marge and deep fried.

I was about to say. This SHOULD have given you tiny charred nuggets.

Are you sure you don’t mean THREE twenty-five? Or a half hour?

Oh yeah, 425 for 1 1/2 hours would definitely result in charred wings. I bake mine when I make them, and I usually set the oven to 325. That had to have been a typo!

actually 1 hour would be correct. The wings are frozen when you put them on the baking sheet. By the time I looked at the clock at completion (and after a beer or three) it added a half hour. Now I must say my oven thermo may be off, but with frozen wings it was most certainly a solid hour. At 425. And no, they weren’t dried up nuggets by any stretch.

When the revolution comes, you’ll be the first against the wall… :wink:

I tease, I tease…

However, zoo speaks the truth. There really is no substitute for Frank’s. I’ve tried many a sauce, and, while good, different brands don’t impart that signature Buffalo wing flavor.

Other flavors to experiment with: some yellow mustard, a dash of Worcestershire, and crushed garlic. You’re straying a little bit from the typical Buffalo wing recipe with these ingredients, but I think they’re still acceptable. At any rate, the Buffalonians I know (including my SO) have never decried me as a blasphemer for using these additions.

Then the revolutionaries making up the firing squad will be legion. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to be fair to you, please tell me how you prepare your baked wings. I promise I will give it a try. I’ve always wanted to find a good a way to create wings en masse, but deep frying them and holding them in an oven never works. They become soggy. I always make my wings to order, as otherwise they lose their crispiness, which is essential to a good wing. If I could find a way around this, I’d be willing to change my perspective on the matter.

I put the frozen wings into the oblong Teflon-coated pan of a slow cooker and sprinkle them with salt. Then I bake them at 375ºF until they’re done. Then I douse them with Frank’s and shake up the pan until they’re well-coated.

Works for me, and there’s no one else around to eat them.

Well, I put room-temperature wings, well seasoned with black pepper and celery salt, into a skillet with a little butter and brown them well on both sides, sprinkling with caraway seeds (no more than a half-teaspoon or so).

Then I throw in a little sliced onion, celery, and carrot as aromatics, cover the pan, and cook over low flame for a half-hour.

Uncover, let come back to room temp, and eat. WITH some Frank’s hot sauce, if you must.

These are in no way Buffalo wings. They’re a kind of a takeoff on my Mitteleuropean grandpa’s basic chicken recipe, in which he used all the parts of the bird, including the back and neck. (He called it “Stewed Chicken.”) And he never had any hot sauce of any kind pass his lips, that I heard of.

Fuckin’ good wings, though.

Can I ask for the thread title to be changed? Buffalos don’t have wings dammit.

-Mr Goob, a Buffalo NY native.

Aw. I was waiting for you to come into this thread and be the arbiter of wingage. You Buffalonians are rather picky and um…uppity…when it comes to your wings, I tell ya.

I like a Super Hot BBQ, Überhot with a touch of sweetness and smokieness. My personal sauces is usually a slight variation on this basic recipe. (These are all approximate measurements. I just put it together by eye and taste as I go.)

1/2 cup or so of any available BBQ sauce.
4 tbls. or so of any available Hot sauce or combinations of Hot Sauce (Tabasco, Red Hot, El Yucateco)
1 pickled Pepper finely diced (Jalapeno, Pepperoncini, etc.)
A splash of the pepper’s pickling juice.
A few dashes of Cayenne or Crushed Hot Pepper Flakes.
1 finely diced or crushed clove of garlic.

Bake Chicken wings at 375F for an hour and toss and slosh immediately in the prepared sauce.

OK, I’m pretty sure I’ve deduced that IQF means Individually Quick Frozen but is this really a common enough abbreviation where I should have know it right off the bat? Never heard of it before now.