Proverbs that should be changed to make them more literal

I tried something this afternoon: I watched my pot until it boiled! Ah-ha! I think the proverb should read something more like:

“A watched pot boils eventually, but psychologically it seems to take a really long time.”

Or, how about:

“An apple a day is a good idea, but a healthy diet, combined with a reasonable exercise regimen will probably keep the doctor away, although it is impossible to be completely preventative regarding future illness.”

“Don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Or anybody.”

“You can teach some old dogs new tricks, but it can be hard.”

“You can sometimes get a free lunch, if you try hard enough.”

“Truth is stranger than fiction, unless you’ve read Naked Lunch.”

“You can’t make an omelet without breaking eggs, or without a heat source, or without some sort of filling, like cheese. Or vegetables.”

-Tofer

“Never look a gift horse in the mouth. He probably has stank breath, and maybe gingivitis.”

Ha, funny stuff!

A watched pot definitely does not boil, but the stuff in it will if you wait long enough.

You made your bed, now lie in it. Just take off your shoes first, and don’t move around a lot, or you’ll have to make it again. And for Christ’s sake, stop moving the pillows around. They’re right where I like them.

“Stank” breath… what?

It could if you got it up to 3000 C or so.

Provided you’ve turned the burner on.

OK, ya got me! Actually, it would melt, not boil, nicht wahr?

Reminds me of the chemist who invented the universal solvent, but then did not know what the hell to keep it in. :smiley:

A rolling stone gathers no moss, unless it is rolling very slowly, for a very long time, in appropriately moist conditions.

You get what you pay for, unless you forget it at the store, or the clerk puts the wrong stuff in your bag.

R&D is the mother of invention.

There are no stupid questions when your failure to ask the question and receive a correct answer results in significant harm to people or property.

If you count your chickens before they’re hatched, you can get a reasonable estimate of how many chickens you can expect, which is okay for general planning purposes but you might want to lowball it to allow for flexibility in the event the outcome is lower than anticipated.

Iron melts at about 1850C and boils at 2900C.

The early bird gets the worm has always bothered me.
What if it is your day to be the worm, better to be late right.

So early… late… WHAT DO I DO!?

Yeah, I like that:

The early bird gets the early worm.

That’s even better than “The second mouse gets the cheese”.

He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones from any place where there is a reasonable possibility of hitting his house.

He who dares wins . . . or dies horribly in his barrel at the base of Niagara Falls.

If at first you don’t succeed, check into performance enhancers.

A bird in the hand could be a very potent and dangerous public health risk.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than to have your testicles slowly crushed.

A watched duck seldom explodes.

Congratulations, NoClueBoy. You’re the first poster to make me choke on my drink.

I’m off to watch some ducks…

Oh, and:
Early to bed and early to rise means you’re missing most of the popular TV shows and will be really lost at the water cooler.

A bad penny will occasionally turn up until it is removed from circulation altogether.

Practice enables improvement.

I don’t get it. Is that because the first mouse got eaten by the cat or something?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, most of the time. But if you’re really hoping to get socks for Christmas, or you enjoy getting into bloody fistfights with strangers, then don’t.

Look, and make sure that you will be safe, taking into account the hardness and elasticity of the surface you’re currently on, the hardness of the surface you’ll be leaping to, how far away it is, in both the horizontal and vertical directions, your own physical capabilities with regard to both jumping and landing, what would happen to you should you miss the opposite side and fall into the empty space between the two surfaces, whether you can really afford a broken arm/leg/neck/etc. at this point in your life, before you leap.

But remember, he who hesitates is lost.

The first mouse was crushed by the mousetrap.