Longboard Lager

It seems that the only beer I’ve been buying lately is Longboard Lager. (Not that I buy beer very often, but when I do it’s Longboard.) If I go out and they don’t have it, I’ll drink something else. And at a pub I’ll still get my Guinness.

But I developed a taste for Longboard at a seafood restaurant in Orange a few years ago. It’s not heavy, and it’s not light. It just tastes good.

What do you think of it?

I tried a bottle when I was on the west coast this spring: very, very good! I’m no beer snob: I know what I like, and this fits the bill.

Simply impossible to find in the Ozarks, though…

I need to go back to that restaurant sometime. They have it on tap.

Where, Johnny?

Goat Hill Tavern in Costa Mesa has about 170 beers on tap, I wonder if they have it…

Market Broiler at The Block. It’s been almost thee years since I’ve been there.

Where’s Goat Hill Tavern?

Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa, just south of 19th street. Across from Triangle Square.

(Forgive me if I’m thinking of a different beer, but I’m 99% sure it was Longboard Lager . . . )

I was at a bar in Hawaii a few years ago and asked if they had any Hawaiian beers and the bartender said something like “not exactly,” and without any further explanation handed me a Longboard. I took a few drinks and said, “This is pretty decent, but it tastes exactly like Sierra Nevada,” to which the bartender replied, “It is, they just put a different label on it here.”

Fast forward to about a year or two ago and I start seeing Longboard Lager all over the shelfs here on the mainland.

It’s been a while since I’ve had a Sierra Nevada, but I don’t recall it tasting the same. I think a bit of Comparitive Beverage Analysis is in order. :wink:

Longboard is brewed in Kailua Kona, HI; and Sierra Nevada is brewed in Chico, CA. (I could have sworn that I was told that the Longboard on tap was brewed in Orange County, CA; but now I’m not sure.)