Lady in the Water is already a bomb...apparently. Possible spoilers

Don’t like suspenseful movies, but I find this article about this movie rather interesting. Especially the part where Kevin Costner was up for consideration for the lead. If they ever needed a fall guy for a movie going in the toilet, he would be it.
It will be very interesting to see how it does at the box office and how people like or hate it.

This review sums up what I expect to be the general feeling.

Lady in the Water Review

Basically, M. Night has a huge ego and needs to be controled. Disney was right to let him go.

Based on this comment

I’m thinking that a better title for the film would be Attack of the Killer Chia Pets. :smiley:

In reading the reviews of the film, I’ve really gotta ask, “Is it really based on the bedtime story he tells his kids?” Because if it is, then, well, they’re gonna need as much therapy as TomKat’s kid (though for different reasons).

Um, so people who are disposed to not like LitW are not liking it. In other news, Generallisimo Francisco Franco is stil dead …

Interesting (as an aside) that the reviewer supports Lissener’s take on Verhoven.

The significance lies in the fact that the number who don’t like his movies grows with each new offering.

My own response to each movie he makes now is simply, “You gotta be kidding me!”

“It’s a fine line between clever and stupid.”

Surely Samuel L Jackson was considered for the lead role?

“It’s a Lady. In the Water. I have had it with this motherfucking Lady in this motherfucking water!”

Movie reviewers, you mean?

You know I must be the only person that actually liked Signs.

I found it interesting that in all the TV ads for Lady in the Water where they throw reviewers quotes up there none are from anything resembling a well known source and one, in English mind you, is from Telemundo. I mean even Battle Field: Earth was able to scrape up some over the top positive quotes for posters.

Except that the review I linked to is written by a reviewer who gave positive reviews to every “Night” movie before this one.

Heh. I’m the only person that liked Unbreakable .

Hey! I liked it as well.

He really sounds like an egotistical douchebag

I said it here around the time The Village opened and I’ll say it again. MNS is a very, very tallented director. To bad he can’t tell a story for shit.
Hopefully this flop will leave him in the hands of a producer that can controll his ego, and maybe he can start directing scripts written by equally talented writers.

I liked it. It was an origin story movie about an interesting hero with an interesting nemesis. I think it’s the only MNS movie that could support a sequel.

astro: I didn’t read it that way. I read it more the way I think Eutychus read it: Verhoven ends up on the stupid side of the branch cut.

By far my favorite MNS film, and I couldn’t care less about comics.

Personally, I would have put the parenthetical comment at the end of the sentence, for the sake of accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient
You know I must be the only person that actually liked Signs

Hey, I liked both.

At the risk of sounding like one of those “so and so can do no wrong” fan girls that we all know and hate so vehemently, I plan on seeing it, despite the sucky reviews and my own gut feeling about it. I haven’t exactly loved all of his movies(I’m looking at you, Signs) but I’ve found *something * to like in all of them. To repeat what someone already said, sometimes his stuff doesn’t work, but when it does, the pleasure I get out of it outweighs the negatives. So, yeah, I think this could be an overall sucky product, but he’s one director that I’ll always give a *chance *( and I’ll also freely admit when he’s missed the mark).