"Money talks, bullshit walks."

What does this actually mean?

I would interpret it to mean that someone who is seriously interested in something ultimately commits to it (i.e. gets out their wallet and buys it), whereas someone who merely appears interested ultimately walks away.

Also used in the “OK, pay me to help you, or piss off.” sense.

-Tcat

I think this is going to be full of opinions, but I take it the same as “put your money on the table”, meaning if you are for real and believe what you are saying, put your money to back up your talk. If you are full of shit, get the hell out of here.

Here is something on it.

I agree.

In my area, if you bid on a house, it is customary to attach a thousand dollar check to the offer. This shows that you are serious and not just screwing around.

We used the term as salesmen selling audio equipment all the time.

The customer who had the money and was really interested in buying something today got me to talk to them. I would spend a lot of time answering all their questions, explaining the equipment, and treat them right.

The customer who just wanted to jerk me around for information, piece togther his “dream” system which he never intended to buy, and tell me all about how great his past systems were or how great his buddys system is (basic bullshit) can take a walk.

It means, “actions speak louder than words.”

Also see “put up or shut up”

and “put your money where your mouth is”.

Exactly.

Around here, you’d be told to take a hike with such a small amount of earnest money. When I was house-shopping last year, the requisite amount was $10,000 to even be considered as anything other than a looky-loo.

Hi – forgot I’d started this. :smack:

I’m familiar with “money talks,” and understand what that means. (Though will point out that if you think too hard about it, the concept starts getting very weird.)

The parallel construction is kind of weird, though –

money:bullshit :: talking:walking

Maybe making the expression a bit more prolix might help:

“If you will show me some money, I’ll be glad to have a conversation with you about this item you’ve show interest in. If, on the other hand, all you have to offer is exaggeration and hyperbole and obviously fictitious stories about your status and financial health, I prefer to show you my back or to see yours.”

To me it means that if you have enough money, you can just walk away from all the bullshit you’re pulling. If you’ve got a large bankroll in your pocket, you can get away with a lot more crap than if you don’t.

Car dealerships used to have a tagline that said, “money talks, nobody walks.” The substitution of bullshit was an obvious cynical rephrasing of the line. “Bullshit walks” by itself makes no sense, I agree, but it works in context.

I believe it to mean that people who “do something” such as “put their money on the table”, or “put up or shutup” will get more results than people who merely talk. Making this statement indicates that the talking up to this time has been bullshit and that it is now time to do something or the speaker will walk away from the proposed deal.

I always think of Spinal Tap when I hear that expression. The Fran Drescher character says this at one point, as a kind of non sequitur. Miles gives this expression that basically says, “what the fuck did you just say, that makes no sense at all.”

Comic gold.

It has to do with what’s backing up your idea, proposal, suggestion. Money or bullshit. If you got the money, keep talking. If you don’t, get out of here!

Since those deposits are non-refundable, I’m rather surprised that it has to be so high. Around here, very few people would put down a grand on a house and then walk away.

If you really want out of the contract, it’s not too hard to have the inspector find a problem that wasn’t disclosed.

Also see J. D. Salinger’s use of money talks in Catcher in the Rye (1950): “In New York, boy, money really talks–I’m not kidding.”

Courtesy of Word and Phrase Origins by Robert Hendrickson

Just to clarify, once the the offer is accepted, you have to come up with more money pronto. The thousand dollars just shows that the initial offer is a serious one.

Even if it’s not explicity required, it’s a good idea to put money on the table to show people you’re serious.

When I leased new space for my business a few months back, I asked my prospective landlord for a deal. He hemmed and hawed. So I came by the guy’s office with a check in my hand. He offered me a deal and I wrote him a check right on the spot.