Ask another muslim guy

hey people, may peace be upon all of you
My name in Anas. I’m muslim. i’m new here, but please fell free to ask any questions about islam , and whatever is happening around the world that has a relation with islam, and i’ll try my best to answer… i’ve heard so many wrong things being said about my religion, and i think people need to understand and learn more, so they can judge better, and so, i’ll be more than happy to share my knowledge. thank you.

Christianity and Judaism have independently gone through “reforms”, after which much of the pointless ritual was abandoned. How do you react to the suggestion that Islam should do the same?

First, let’s get your stats down:
-Sunni or Shi’a, or something else?
-If you’re Shi’a, what branch?
-Where do you stand on Islamic revolution?
-What’s your stand on Sharia law, both in countries with majority-Muslim populations and in other countries?

Daniel

good evening Bryan,
first of all could you give me an example of these reforms? just so i can have a better image of what could or should be changed in Islam…
then, tell me more about islamic rituals you think should be abandoned, if you have any specific idea.
then i may be able to tell you if it could be acceptable, and to what point.

I, too, am interested on your stance on Sharia law.

“Muslim” is a generic term like “Christian”. What religion do you belong to and what country have you lived in for the last 15 years (that gives us a clearer picture of what to ask).

To save time and start things off, what have you heard that requires correcting?

good evening, Left Hand of Dorkness
hahaha… well let see, sunni actually.
about islamic revolution, are we talking religion or politics? are we talking about Iran only?
and about sharia, what do you mean, my stand? islamic laws are for muslims, about public aspects and some private aspects of muslims life. weither islam is a state religion or not, those rules are only meant for muslims.

good evening, Magiver
a muslim is a muslim, i believe that is clear enough about what my religion is. if you’re talking about chira or sunnits; they still all are muslims.
i’ve lived for more than 15 years in Morocco.
and what i have heard is mostly about how violence was part of islam, and how lying was something muslims would use often to deceive people… but anyway, i am her to talk, learn from you, and teach you whatever little knowledge i have.
thank you

Just wondering, but what school of fiqh do you follow?

Hi NSmata. What is your position on apostasy?

The literature is deeply conflicted on this issue and yet, as the case of Abdul Rahman proved, it is an issue of pivotal importance and great controversy.

There are several verses in the Koran which seem supportive of tolerance, pluralism, and religious freedom, to wit: [ul]
[li] And if your Lord had pleased, surely all those who are in the earth would have believed, all of them; will you then force men till they become believers? And it is not for a soul to believe except by Allah’s permission; and He casts uncleanness on those who will not understand. - Surah 10: Jonah - 10:99-100.[/li][li] There is no compulsion in religion; truly the right way has become clearly distinct from error; therefore, whoever disbelieves in the Shaitan and believes in Allah he indeed has laid hold on the firmest handle, which shall not break off, and Allah is Hearing, Knowing. - Surah 2: The Cow - 2:256[/li][li]Say: O unbelievers! I do not serve that which you serve, nor do you serve Him Whom I serve: Nor am I going to serve that which you serve, nor are you going to serve Him Whom I serve: You shall have your religion and I shall have my religion. - Surah 109: The Disbelievers - 109:1-6[/li]
[/ul]

Now, admittedly, the first of these examples isn’t particularly tolerant. It, like a great many other segments of the Koran, promises painful punishments for unbelief. However, it quite clearly prohibits forced conversion. The moral seems to be “Leave them to it and let Allah sort them out”. The others are less ambiguous (although example 3 doesn’t address agnosticism or atheism) and seem openy supportive of religious pluralism.

On the other hand, we have verses like these: [ul]
[li] Those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe again, then disbelieve, and then increase in their disbelief - Allah will never forgive them nor guide them to the path. - Surah 4: The Women - 4:137[/li][li] Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. - Surah 9: Repentance - 9:5 [/ul][/li]
Along with quite literally hundreds of indiscriminate condemnations of unbelievers of all stripes. Moreover the hadith, which is often used as a lens through which to interpret the Koran, says:[ul]
[li] Whoever changes his religion shall be killed.[/ul][/li]
Which is very clear and wholeheartedly supports the forced conversion and/or execution of apostates.

So what do you think of those Muslims who decide, like Abdul Rahman, to worship other Gods? Should a man who, even though he may have been a Muslim for only an hour, be compelled to reconvert if he loses his faith?

Good evening Captain Amazing,
i’m following Maliki school or what is known as Maliki madhabs.

If we speak of a personal decision to disbelieve after believing, made by a person who knows of the consequences, perfectly aware that Allah doesn’t give guidance to those who choose kofr over believing, well, the holy koran is i believe quite clear :
“Those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe again, then disbelieve, and then increase in their disbelief - Allah will never forgive them nor guide them to the path.” Surah An-Nisa’, 4:137.

“Whoever changes his religion shall be killed”," Abu Dawud.
and Allah also says that he may forgive any sin no matter how grave, but will never forgive belief in many gods, or spread lies about him. Their can’t be any tolerance in this one and only case :

“Kill those who believe in many gods” Sura al-Tawba 9:5

“Those who blasphemed and back away from the ways of Allah and die as blasphemers, Allah shall not forgive them.” Suratan Nisa’, Ayah 48.

Equal rights for women. Yes or no?

Oh, and welcome and thank you for starting this thread :slight_smile:

So does that mean all Hindus have to be killed?

Thanks for the quick reply NSmata. However, your reply seems a little ambiguous and I’m still not 100% sure of your position. When you say:

It seems you’re content to let apostates choose their own path and leave final judgement to Allah. That’s what that verse means to me, at any rate.

However, in the next line you quote that passage from the hadith which says “Whoever changes his religion shall be killed”, which clearly condones earthly punishment for apostasy.

Is it fair to say that you would support the execution of apostates like Abdul Rahman, who converted to Christianity? If so, why do you think this is the correct choice, given that it clearly conflicts with what is taught in 2:256?

On a related note, why does Allah punish converts to pantheistic religions like Hinduism more harshly than converts to monotheistic religions like Christianity?

If we speak of a personal decision to disbelieve after believing, made by a person who knows of the consequences, perfectly aware that Allah doesn’t give guidance to those who choose kofr over believing, well, the holy koran is i believe quite clear :
“Those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe again, then disbelieve, and then increase in their disbelief - Allah will never forgive them nor guide them to the path.” Surah An-Nisa’, 4:137.

“Whoever changes his religion shall be killed”," Abu Dawud.
and Allah also says that he may forgive any sin no matter how grave, but will never forgive belief in many gods, or spread lies about him. Their can’t be any tolerance in this one and only case :

“Kill those who believe in many gods” Sura al-Tawba 9:5

“Those who blasphemed and back away from the ways of Allah and die as blasphemers, Allah shall not forgive them.” Suratan Nisa’, Ayah 48.

Just for reference sake, here’s the (AKAIK only) previous ‘ask the muslim’ thread: Ask the Shi`a Nizari Ismaili Muslim Woman - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board

Also ‘Ask the Muslim Guy’ parts one and two:

and ‘Ask the Arab Guy’ :

There yet another one or two I haven’t been able to turn up yet.

• Tamerlane

So you would support the execution of atheists who were formerly muslims?