Anybody else souped for "Flyboys"?

I am. I don’t know anything about the movie except the trailer I saw today with the Zeppelin exploding is the coolest thing I have seen in a movie preview. Ever.

I certainly am…the story probably reeks, though—The daylight Zep attack sets off some alarm bells—but hey, that’s par for the course with Hollywood. And I go to the movies to be entertained…and well-rendered WWI flying ace action should do the trick, I think.

The book is pretty good, so if it’s faithful to the source material, the move should be pretty good.

*“movie” of course, not move.

For a few years now, I’ve been wanting to write a screenplay about Manfred von Richthofen. And if I could direct the film, then so much the better. I love to watch airplanes, and a film full of WWI airplanes would be great! Got the shots in my head and everything… I saw an original Sopwith Camel at an airshow this year.

So I like that there’s a WWI film coming out. But the TV trailer I saw look really, really bad. The airplanes don’t move right, and they look like they came out of a video game.

I understand the Flyboys movie is about World War I, not WWII as the book of the same title is. (My, that was an awkward sentence.)

Bah. Red Baron, starring Rutger Hauer, was released in 1982 in my personal alternate universe. But I’ll probably see Flyboys anyway.

Despite never having seen one myself, thanks to Peanuts I feel reasonably confident that I could pilot one if I ever found myself in a WWI dogfight and George Kennedy suddenly passed out at the controls. “My right hand is on the spade-grip stick with my thumb over the gun triggers… My left hand is on the Bentley rotary throttle…”

How are they explaining the black pilot? I wasn’t aware there were any black pilots in WW1? Can anyone enlighten me here?

I see them all the time.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2071032974

Eugene Jacques Bullard, black American who flew in the French Flying Corps.

I’m looking forward to it.

I could use an exciting film, & the zeppellin scene intrigued me.

Cool. Thank you. Ignorance has been fought today!

I saw a preview for it today that said it was “from the makers of Independence Day and The Patriot.” Not sure if they meant the producer or director, but either way it doesn’t bode well for the film. My first thought was that it’ll be a WWI version of Pearl Harbor.

Oh, wow, a movie about flying! In open cockpit airplanes! How could I not like that…?

I’d probably get some enjoyment out of it, even if it wasn’t good. I mean, I found Pearl Harbor somewhat entertaining despite the butchery of history in it. I figured out pretty soon, when they had two untutored kids taxi a Stearman down a runway without ground-looping it, that there wasn’t a whole lot of authenticity there. I found out early enough to adjust my expectations.

I agree, the airplanes in the trailer for Flyboys struck me as a bit…off. I didn’t see enough to really put my finger on it. I’m hoping it’s good, and I’ve already made plans to see it. At worst… it will be escapist entertainment. But I’m really hoping for a GOOD movie all around.

Depends on how well all that CGI works on the big screen. I’d rather see actual footage of actual replicas, normally, but I’m easy that way. Yep, going.

I’d even rather see actual replicas in person, like the ones I just got back from at RKD today. I knew the Fokker DR1 could climb fast and make tight turns, but you have to see it to believe it - I didn’t know a plane could *loop * in almost its own length. In CGI, the same maneuver might look too hokey.

I’m also really excited about this movie. Glad someone else noted the zepplin daylight raid- I also knew they only did those at night. However, there could be another possibility- they could have intercepted the airship en route to London or something.

Another thing I’m wondering- in one scene, a flight instructor says something like, “If your plane catches on fire, you have one of three choices: Ride it out until you land, jump out at two thousand feet, or (brandishes pistol)” I know at one point early aviators fired at each other with pistols, but did they really carry a pistol just for that?

And the scene with the guy bailing out of his airplane (no parachute?! :eek: ) gave me chills. Must be pretty crazy to be flying one of those planes, knowing that if something goes wrong, you’re pretty much farked :frowning:

Huh. They used the closing music from The Island at the back half of the trailer.

[oh-so-slight hijack]

Why did they paint bullseye-type insignia on their planes??

[/o-s-s hijack]

I misread your post and went off looking for it, you bastige! Anyway, it looks like Der Rote Baron (2006) is in production.

I hope they get the ending right. I read The Red Baron’s Last Flight, a forensic study of his final battle, and I found the information convincing.

It’s disappointing though that I procrastinated.

Zeppelin!

Going BOOM!

You bet your sweet ass I’ll be seeing this one…