BadChad, a moment of your time, if you can spare it

Suggested by a few posts in this thread among others; search for “badchad” and “religion” in Great Debates if you give a damn.

'Ello, BadChad. First, let me say that I’m sure you’re a wonderful person in the 3D world. I’m sure mother loves you, your father is proud of you, your wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, or SO adores you, that your children boast about you to the other rugrats on the playground. Also let me say that I have no problem with atheists. I myself have been called one because I don’t believe in miracles, the Virgin Birth, or the Resurrection, and there are any number of non-Christians (atheist and otherwise) on the Dope I respect.

Anyway, BadChad --you’re annoying. Bothersome. Pestiferous, even. You take joy in pissing on people’s beliefs–not in the interests of furthering debate or prompting reflective thought on religion, which would be a genuine service to the community, but rather in the way of being offensive in the way 5-year-old-boys who have just discovered the word “fuck,” and with similar subtlety, eloquence, and grace. Your behavior reminds me of that of hippopotamuses, which, one may recall, are known to spew feces at river-goers; and yet I will not compare you to a hippo, because for all their ill-tempered malice they at least are majestic, impressive, and intimidating, while you are just an idiot apparently working off self-loathing born of small penis issues. You are an odious, irksome, ill-mannered, uncivilized, coprophagic churl, and if there were any real-world correspondence to one’s online persona, you would probably emit a distinctive odor not unlike that of a half-ton of rotting eggs. There are many Dopers I am disappointed not to have the opportunity to know in the real world; you are one I am grateful to be free of.

Ciao!

Hey! This was my first pitting of a fellow Doper! Did I do it right, or should I have gone ahead and quoted Optimus Prime?

Um…I mean Chesterton. Yeah. G. K. Chesterton.

I really should have linked to this thread, particularly post 16.

Minus points for the multiple posts, but otherwise a pretty solid ::golf clap::

Hey, you can forget that “world domination” shit if you’re going to beg for approval after pitting someone. Makes ya come off as way too needy to be a proper tyrant.

Well done, Skald, and richly deserved, IMO.

I’m a true “there is no god and all religions are IMO derived from attempts to cope with uncertainty” atheist, and I wince every time I see his name come up. He invades almost every religion-related thread on the dope and insults everyone with a hint of belief. He must be a plant–he’s doing irreparable damage to the atheist cause every time he opens his fool mouth. He’s a one-trick pony, and his one trick is apparently kicking people in the balls. Well-deserved.

I’m only evil in IMHO, dude. ::points to the sign above the door::

I think that’s a phase a lot of atheists go through, at least the the ones raised into belief they rejected (like me). They’re pissed that they were fed lies, and that most of the rest of the world is still spreading those lies.

After a while, you mellow out and realize that humans seem to be hard-wired to believe the things you find so ridiculous, and insulting them for that is like insulting people for being left-handed. It’s counter-productive and somewhat mean.

Hopefully badchad will come to realize that atheism can be debated more effectively when it’s done less insultingly.

Well, if he doesn’t see christ as 1) the embodiment of god or 2) a “nice guy” or 3) if he sees him as a monster, why would he sugar-coat it? He’s entitled to his opinion. People say that and worse about people who actually exist and no one bats an eyelash.

Nice rant, incidently. I just don’t agree with it…but it was entertaining!

Oh, we’re all entitled to our informed opinions (and I add the qualifier not to disagree with you, but just because I find the unqualified phrase silly). But I was objecting to his odious, insulting, and counter-productive glurge. It is possible to disagree while behaving as a gentleman. Leaving aside the issue of Jesus’ existence, badchad’s continual insults are just rude.

Or do you not see a purpose in civility and basic respect?

All I’m saying is that he has strong, informed feelings about the goodness of christ and christianity. If he said the same thing about Saddam Hussein, it wouldn’t be offensive. He cites the bible in reference to the evils of christianity. He calls people on their apparent willingness to ignore negative info from the bible and points out (rather well) the inconsistencies. I just don’t see why he should treat christ differently than he’d treat any other person he sees as being evil or dishonest or a sham.

The only safe skeptic is one who was never exposed to faith in his infancy. Converts of more mature years are always more or less unreliable.- H.L. Mencken

For the same reason some of us would get annoyed if a Fundamentalist Christian came barging into every thread telling us we’re all going to hell unless we accept JESUS CHRIST as our personal Lord and Savior.

Or with a Muslim who came into every thread calling us infidels and baby-killers.

Or any bigot, really.

“Christ was a cunt”? C’mon, tell me that wasn’t trying to be inflammatory. “Jesus was human, and probably had human failings”, or “Some of Jesus’s teachings were not so nicey-nice: cite 1, cite 2” or “Some of the worst atrocities in history have been commited by religious people invoking Jesus” or “Jesus never existed, so there’s no perfection for his followers to live up to” would have been appropriate, on-topic and still perfectly atheist responses.

Good call, Skald.

Regarding Christianity, what do you believe?

Anyway, BadChad --you’re annoying. Bothersome. Pestiferous, even.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah yeah, I catch your general drift. While you, a good Christian (nominally at least) continue to be irrational. I was actually wondering how long it would take till one of you good loving Christians pitted me. What Would Jesus Do? Well I guess he’d cook me over easy (that genocidal maniac) so you’re not far off.

Anyway being as your beliefs like yours will never hold up to rational scrutiny, and I have no intention stop pointing that out, really hope this thread accomplishes your goals and makes you feel better.

Having been pitted a few times before, I give you a C+. Carry on.

What if he said, “Hitler was a cunt.”? Would that be ok? So what if it was inflammatory? It was an honest assessment according to BadChad’s knowledge of the bible (which is extensive).

You find it offensive because you don’t believe it. If you believed it (as many do) it wouldn’t be offensive at all. It would be “descriptive.”

Sorry, bad coding above.

Regarding Christianity, what do you believe?

Yeah yeah, I catch your general drift. While you, a good Christian (nominally at least) continue to be irrational. I was actually wondering how long it would take till one of you good loving Christians pitted me. What Would Jesus Do? Well I guess he’d cook me over easy (that genocidal maniac) so you’re not far off.

Anyway being as your beliefs like yours will never hold up to rational scrutiny, and I have no intention stop pointing that out, really hope this thread accomplishes your goals and makes you feel better.

Having been pitted a few times before, I give you a C+. Carry on.

I agree with this pitting, but I think for a different reason; as **Kalhoun ** says, he’s entitled to state his opinion, even when his opinion isn’t very pleasant. What I find to be a problem though is that he’s really not acting in a way conducive to debate; it’s fair that he has strong views, but calling Christ a cunt isn’t exactly going to endear him to other people in the thread. Plus, he’s making us godless heathens look bad.

**BadChad **= Der Trihs?

No, it still wouldn’t be a useful debate tactic. Tell me WHY Hitler was a cunt, and try to use language that doesn’t make my eyeballs fall out of my head and my ears close up out of distaste.

I don’t find it offensive at all. I just don’t find it useful.

And I’m not a Christian, although I am religious. I don’t care much about Jesus one way or the other. I have no dog in this fight whatsoever. I just understand Skald’s point about there being some people you don’t want on your side in Great Debates, even if they agree with you. My own area with this is in abortion debates - I’m pro-choice, but there are a few pro-choice people on here that make me wince, because they don’t help the cause.