Earl Grey... Hot!

As I sit at my desk, sipping my tea, a thought occurs to me:

Why does Jean-Luc have to specify that he wants his tea hot? I mean, it’s a nice catch-phrase, but really, is the temperature at which tea is imbibed so varried in the future that a person needs to tell the computer to make his tea hot?

I can just see what desert with Jean-Luc might be like:

“Would you like some Chunky Monkey, cold?”

“Oh sure!”

“How about some biscuits, room temperature?”

“I’d be delighted!”

Well, people do drink iced tea. And some like tea lukewarm (Picard doesn’t like his LucWarm), so it seems a not unreasonable thing for him to say.

“What was the name of the Star Ship Captain?”

(Together) “Jean-Luc!”

… because you don’t get to be captain of a starship by giving vague orders?

Because some people drink it cold.

Because someone once brought him tea that was not hot enough, and he wants to make sure that never happens again?

You just can’t trust spaceship computers to make good tea (see also The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy). It’s best to be as specific as possible.

Because he likes his Earls hot, wet and grey.
Sigh… I am so disappointed with myself.

“Earl Grey Tea, hot!”

<splash> “Aahhh! fuck!”

“OK, Earl Grey Tea, hot, in a cup

But surely the computer can identify the person and recall his/her preferences? Picard should be able to just say “tea” and get a cup of hot Earl Grey.

By the way, is Earl Grey good cold? I’ve never tried it but it seems it might be nice.

"Earl Grey…hot. In a 6-oz. cup.* Oriented spatially to conform to “right-side-up.”

*Surely Earl Grey can’t be measured in milliliters.

"Why not share this with your friends?’
“Because,” said Arthur tartly, “I want to keep them.”

Best comeback ever.
Seriously, I agree with Marley23 but at the same time I would think he could easily just have a “Picard” setting. I mean, he’s the damn captain. How hard would it be for the computer to make tea the same way every time?

Quoting Hitchhiker’s in a star trek thread?

I knew there was a reason I loved you.

It’s loverly. Specially if brewed with a pinch of lavender flowers and drizzled with a little honey. A dash of milk and you have the loveliest cold drink in the world.

Perhaps he feels it would be pretentious.
Perhaps Geordie says there isn’t enough RAM for individual settings. Everyone would want one.
Perhaps Westley misused his personal settings to ignore the “root” in root beer and everyone lost their privileges.

That’d be a good idea, but I can imagine problems when the computer tries to anticipate your order.

But he’s the Captain. Surely the Captain should be able to have stuff? I know I’d surely want it!

Ergh. Feel free to tell me not to call you Shirley.

As a slight hijack does anyone remember the episode where some visiting dignitary asked Riker for a glass of cold water? Riker, trying to impress the dignitary’s hot bodyguard, looked at her with his best “I’m the studliest guy in the galaxy” look, and said “Computer, a glass of water. (pause for effect) Five degrees.” That’s what every attractive bodyguard is looking for - a guy who can get water any temperature he wants.

Picard is too cool to have special privileges.

Except of course the plasma TV larger than the viewscreen in his quarters.
And voice over ride to the lock on Beverly’s door…but let’s not go there.

This is freaky - we’re just back from a fortnight in the States and I had to teach myself to ask for “hot tea” (to avoid any confusion with Pearl Tea / Ice Tea etc.) and Ponster quoted Jean-Luc !

But then one my Californian cousins also specified “Snow-skiing”. I guess it just depends what your default is or if you have one.