It's National Preparedness Month!

No joke.

So, my questions are:[ul]
[li]Did you already know this?[/li][li]Are you prepared?[/li][li]If you’re not prepared, are you planning on changing that?[/li][li]Can you stop thinking about Batman?[/li][li]Besides the things listed on the Ready Kit page, can you think of anything else one should have?[/li][/ul]
My answers:
Not until I heard the CFR podcast mentioning it.
Nope.
Yup.
Rarely do think about Batman.
Might ought to have some kind of weapon either for self-defense or hunting game.

Think ahea-
d!

We are having a National Preparedness Month Picnic. We hope to have it ready by next Sunday.

Yes, I knew.
Yes, we’re prepared
Who is Batman?
Yes, lots.
We took the attitude that we’re on our own for at least three days, so we prepared to go camping for a week.
We live in an earthquake prone area, so WCS (worst case scenario) is our house falls down.
We have food, for us and the cats, water, clothing (including shoes), bedding, cooking equipment for an open fire, (remember a can opener) a few tools. As well as a bit of money, and ammo.
All is stored in two large plastic storage bins in our utility shed. They have combination locks, and alarms.
We take everything out and check it around this time every year.

Did not know.
Have been getting prepared (bird flu pandemic scenario), bought 2 flashlights the other day, one hand crank, one shake-to-charge, have been buying extra food for pantry, looked at tents the other day(would not need tent for bird flu scenario but general survival)

In my emergency scenario, pets and children ARE the emergency rations.

I can’t understand why the offical list doesn’t include firearms, explosives, and some more primitive weapons like bows and slings,

Oh yeah, a list of needs and a nice change of clothes for a TV interview. I’m probably more likely to hook up with a CNN reporter than a federal disaster official.

I’m fairly prepared. The likely emergency here is a hurricane, and in that case where I am there isn’t much of a flood risk. It could be uncomfortable for awhile waiting for the lights to come back on, but not really deadly. I’ve got water, candles, battery operated lanterns and such, a crank operated radio, I try to keep extra food around in the kitchen, plenty of first aid stuff, and a shotgun. I really ought to have a kit for the car, though. Also, I feel a little silly about it, but I put a hatchet in with the supplies after Katrina. I figured I’d feel dumb with my little hatchet, but I’d feel a lot dumber if I really needed it and didn’t have it. It would be a truly epic deluge, though - then again, I know plenty of people in Albany, GA who were on the 500 year flood plain and got it.

Really, all you need in any crisis situation is a ladder and a frying pan.

I thought I was prepared, but I wasn’t expecting this sort of Spanish Inquisition!

Guns (preferably rifles) and lots of ammo.

I wasn’t prepared for this news!

Prepared for what? The senior prom?

Robin

I like Tony Kornheiser’s take on the whole preparedness thing (circa Y2K):

I started thinking about how the survival list would be different if the list really was about the total collapse of governemt and the economic infrastructure. Your basic no more electricity or gas Mad Max kind of thing.

I came up with two things to add to the list. An armory, and an army. You need weapons to protect your stuff and yourself, and maybe to tale stuff away from the “less deserving”.

And an army? Well, really, a community it what you would really need to have the best long term chance of survival. So you and your community can become an army for a while if you have to, or a construction crew, or crop pickers. I’ve never lived in a place where I know and trust the people well enough to have any faith they could accomplish this.

Uh. I did not get the memo about this. I think it went to my Spam box.

I try to keep up with important news on this topic.

[Obligatory Response] No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition! [/OR]

Earthquake country + paranoia = ready for anything.

We have at least a week’s worth of water, a month’s worth of food for both us and the cats, several month’s worth of other supplies, and a healthy attitude. The kids ask about the MRE’s in my filing cabinet at school, but that’s a minor consideration.

We live in the safest area of the country, disaster-wise (cite), but even so we are fairly well prepared.

Answers to your questions:
[ul]
[li]Yes I knew, due to emails I get from the county as a CERT member.[/li][li]Yes, we are prepared , but would still like to get a few more things.[/li][li]No thoughts of Batman, but now that you mention it, a big cave would * be nice![/li][]I think having copies of important documents scanned onto a thumb drive, and stored somewhere other than your house, is a good idea.[/ul]

This morning, I took my Swiss Army Knife, & skinned a Boy Scout.
He wasn’t prepared!

But I (and Batman) count as prepared!