The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Which diet drinks DON'T have aspartame?

I'm not allowed to have aspartame any more because of high blood pressure, but I hate the taste of regular pop (too sweet).

Which diet drinks are sweetened with splenda?
Advertisements  
Old 09-26-2006, 03:28 PM

It seems Diet Rite does not have aspartame. There are way too many sites to list links to, but you can check out google , which lists a few links.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Coke came out with a Diet Coke with Splenda (different from regular Diet Coke). Not sure how widely it is available, but I think you can get it at Wal-Mart.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM

There is a newer version of Diet Coke made with Splenda - the label looks a little different and it says "Diet Coke with Splenda" (imagine that!) I heard that it might be discontinued, but I still see it in stores.

Diet Rite sodas have splenda too as MarineGuy mentioned, I remember drinking them when I was pregnant and avoiding aspartame and caffeine. They have quite a few flavors.

Splenda or aspartame is usually one of the first ingredients listed on the bottle so it's easy to check for.

Pepsi One is another one.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Here's a blog on the subject:
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/05/26/182550.php
Old 09-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerMarineGuy
It seems Diet Rite does not have aspartame. There are way too many sites to list links to, but you can check out google , which lists a few links.
I don't think we have Diet Rite in Canada...
Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM

Humm - Pepsi One - I do loves me some diet Pepsi...

All I wanted was a Pepsi![/Suicidal Tendencies]
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Has a doctor told you Aspartame contributes to high blood pressure. The only places online I found that were on kook websites. However, IANAD, so take that with a grain of salt (probably a safe amount in your case).
Old 09-26-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth
From that article:
Quote:
Previous versions of Diet Coke and Pepsi used Aspartame. Aspartame is a known cancer-causing agent.
There goes its credibility. I also am very skeptical about the link that the OP heard between aspartame and high blood pressure. Can anyone find a credible cite for either claim?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC
From that article:
There goes its credibility. I also am very skeptical about the link that the OP heard between aspartame and high blood pressure. Can anyone find a credible cite for either claim?
Seems like just the opposite:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/4/721
...."Systolic and diastolic blood pressure increased in the sucrose group (by 3.8 and 4.1 mm Hg, respectively) and decreased in the sweetener group (by 3.1 and 1.2 mm Hg, respectively).

Conclusions: Overweight subjects who consumed fairly large amounts of sucrose (28% of energy), mostly as beverages, had increased energy intake, body weight, fat mass, and blood pressure after 10 wk. These effects were not observed in a similar group of subjects who consumed artificial sweeteners. "

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/65/4/908

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/51/3/428

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l148w94568vt33hw/

Weird cite:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation
"High doses of aspartame reduce blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats."

It's possible that "high fructose corn syrup" might lead to more weight gain:
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/5/911
The data in humans are less clear. Although there are existing data on the metabolic and endocrine effects of dietary fructose that suggest that increased consumption of fructose may be detrimental in terms of body weight and adiposity and the metabolic indexes associated with the insulin resistance syndrome, much more research is needed to fully understand the metabolic effect of dietary fructose in humans.

Re cancer:
http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/...stract/52/2/92
(you dudes likely can't get this article)
".. Aspartame Does aspartame cause cancer? ... Current evidence does not demonstrate any
link between aspartame ingestion and increased cancer risk. ... "

PDF

http://www.jncicancerspectrum.oxford...89/14/1072.pdf

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...act/15/10/1460
"These articles included ‘first generation’ sweeteners such as saccharin, cyclamate and aspartame, as well as ‘new generation’ sweeteners such as acesulfame-K, sucralose, alitame and neotame. Epidemiological studies in humans did not find the bladder cancer-inducing effects of saccharin and cyclamate that had been reported from animal studies in rats. Despite some rather unscientific assumptions, there is no evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. Case–control studies showed an elevated relative risk of 1.3 for heavy artificial sweetener use (no specific substances specified) of >1.7 g/day. For new generation sweeteners, it is too early to establish any epidemiological evidence about possible carcinogenic risks. As many artificial sweeteners are combined in today's products, the carcinogenic risk of a single substance is difficult to assess. However, according to the current literature, the possible risk of artificial sweeteners to induce cancer seems to be negligible. "

Thus, it seems scares are just that- scare tactics.

CurtC- I gave the blog as it tested the beverages for taste, not for its medical relevance. I concede it has little credence there.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM

Jones diet sodas are made with Splenda, but they're not all that widely available. The carry them at Target around here, and Starbucks and some chain sandwich places (like Panera, I think) sell them too.

Most kool-aid still comes unsweetened in packets. You could buy some of that and use splenda to sweeten it.

Or, get some sugar free syrups, like DaVinci or Torani. Those are made with Splenda, come in tons of flavors, and are good in club soda. www.syrup2u.com carry both brands, otherwise they can be hard to come by in most flavors. Some grocery stores will sell a few (look near the coffee), though.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 PM

Am I right that you're basically choosing between aspartame and sucralose, yes?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Yes, but the sucralose tastes a lot better IMHO.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
Has a doctor told you Aspartame contributes to high blood pressure.
Yes, my physician has advised me that sodium aspartame does indeed contribute to high blood pressure and has advised me to cut it out. She's also advised me to cut out salt.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Out of the slimy mud of words
Charter Member

Sorry to carry on with the hijack, but this is GQ after all. I think that, as much as possible, if there's an opportunity to set the record straight about factual matters, we really should.

So, . . .

Not only is there no human data to link aspartame with blood pressure (either high or low), but even the animal stuff is more than two decades old. Generally, that may be an indicator of a research 'dead end'.

More significantly, given various international health agencies' commitments to addressing and reducing high blood pressure in the general population (example #1, example #2, example #3, plus many more, etc.), and given the huge amount of aspartame that's consumed nowadays, any link, even the most tenuous one, would be vigorously pursued. Indeed, if there was a link between aspartame consumption and high blood pressure, you can be sure that there'd be educational campaigns to inform people of it (just as there is for dietary salt restriction, maintenance of ideal weight, exercise, etc.).
Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 PM

Hansen'smakes several flavors with Splenda. I particularly like the grapefruit.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 PM

I guess no one will be offended if I choose to take the advice of my actual physician, as opposed to people who play them on a message board.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Out of the slimy mud of words
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland
I guess no one will be offended if I choose to take the advice of my actual physician, as opposed to people who play them on a message board.
Of course, not at all. But, out of curiosity, you may wish to enquire on what basis the recommendation has been made.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
With all due respect Alice, if a board member like KG, who is a real research doctor with some pretty serious medical citation-fu skills, can't find a shred of credible evidence for this claim, you might want to think twice about the advice you're getting before resigning us all to 'tard status.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
With all due... etc. etc., what you're getting here are reference to valid studies, and a conspicuous lack of data indicating high blood pressure, from the real experts (not us, the people who conducted the studies and wrote the papers). When you weigh that against the advice of a single physician who does not do these studies, I'd have to go with the consensus of experts.

Unless you misunderstood him - you should check with him, not just take his advice blindly. Even physicians can be wrong, even seriously deluded about some subjects.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:34 AM

I did confirm with her - perhaps there is something about me in particular that made her suggest that aspertame was bad.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:26 AM

Look, I'm really not trying to dis anybody. But we're told over and over not to ask for medical advice on here. So I didn't, I asked about aspertame. I have a real, live Dr. that's given me a piece of medical advice as a direct response to her about my own particular medical issue. While I appreciate that some people here don't agree with her advice, she is my real live Dr. and I feel it would be foolish to ignore her and listen to people on the internet, regardless of how clever I think they are.

I really hope no one is offended. Furthermore, I don't think they'res anything in aspertame that's GOOD for you, so I can't imagine that by eliminating it, I'm going to be hurting myself, ya know?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 AM

What is new Coke Zero made with? It tastes markedly different from Diet Coke (almost like regular coke if you ask me). Is it made with splenda?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

What on earth is "sodium aspartame"? I know aspartame is often combined with acesulfame potassium to cut the aftertaste, but I've never heard of "sodium aspartame." Aspartame is made up of two amino acids: phenylalanine and aspartic acid. There's no sodium involved. You can see that in the diagram on Wikipedia's Aspartame page.

Could your doctor be thinking of sodium saccharin, an older and, to my taste buds, considerably more bitter sweetener?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I'm not allowed to have aspartame any more because of high blood pressure, but I hate the taste of regular pop (too sweet).

Which diet drinks are sweetened with splenda?
It's not made with Splenda, but I'm still surprised nobody's mentioned Tab. Tab does still exist, and is still made with saccharine. It also takes care of that "too sweet" taste you're talking about.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a real, live Dr. that's given me a piece of medical advice
Then she might want to share her insight with the US FDA and Canada's counterpart, as both of them have said that they can find no health risks associated with it (althought there is something on the FDA's website about pregnant women).

It's possible, though, that there are real health risks associated with them, but Monsanto has paid them hush money. That is well attested on various aforementioned kook websites.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathochist
It's not made with Splenda, but I'm still surprised nobody's mentioned Tab. Tab does still exist...
Mmmmmm, cyclamates.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Google Scholar couldn;t come up with anything on "sodium aspartame". Thus, I have a strong suspicion there is no such thing. There is sodium asparate, aka sodium (poly)aspartate. Aspartate is an amino acid (from Wiki: Aspartic acid (Asp), also known as aspartate, the name of its anion, is one of the 20 natural proteinogenic amino acids which are the building blocks of proteins". "Sodium poly(aspartate) is used as an anti-scaling agent. It is a chelating agent."

Aspartame has nary a bit of sodium in it (Wiki again:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame
"Aspartame, (IPA: /'ć.spɚˌteɪm/ or /ə'spɑɹˌteɪm/), is the name for an artificial, non-carbohydrate sweetener, aspartyl-phenylalanine-1-methyl ester; i.e., the methyl ester of the dipeptide of the amino acids aspartic acid and the essential amino acid phenylalanine....[NH3+] [C@@H](CC([O-])=O)C(N[C@@H]
(CC1=CC=CC=C1)C(OC)=O)=O...Upon ingestion, aspartame breaks down into several constituent chemicals, including the naturally-occurring essential amino acid phenylalanine which is a health hazard to the few people born with phenylketonuria, a congenital inability to process phenylalanine. Aspartame products generally include a warning label related to Phenylketonuria to help protect these people. It is safer for those with the disease to monitor their diets and to attempt to avoid such products.

Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a rare (about 1 in 15,000 babies is born with PKU) inherited disease that prevents the essential amino acid phenylalanine from being properly metabolized. Because of this, phenylalanine can accumulate in the body and cause health problems including mental retardation. People with PKU are placed on a special diet with a severe restriction of phenylalanine from birth to adolescence or after. Women with PKU must remain on the special diet throughout pregnancy.

Since individuals with PKU must consider aspartame as an additional source of phenylalanine, aspartame-containing foods must state "Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine" in the U.S."
Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 PM

Humm - what to do, what to do.

Do I listen to a bunch of people on the internet that I've never met, but seem to have good, solid information, and continue to enjoy my diet Pepsi.

Or do I listen to my Dr. who I actually see on a pretty regular basis, and who has never given me a reason to doubt her abilities, but - from the looks of things - could be wrong on this issue, and no longer enjoy my diet Pepsi.

I tell ya - if I follow the advice here, drink my diet pepsi (loving every minute of it) and wind up with a BP higher than the 145/95 that is was at my last check up, I'm gonna feel mighty foolish.

"Well, I know you told me not to drink aspartame, but there were these people on the internet..."
Old 09-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Humm - what to do, what to do.

Do I listen to a bunch of people on the internet that I've never met, but seem to have good, solid information, and continue to enjoy my diet Pepsi.

Or do I listen to my Dr. who I actually see on a pretty regular basis, and who has never given me a reason to doubt her abilities, but - from the looks of things - could be wrong on this issue, and no longer enjoy my diet Pepsi.

I tell ya - if I follow the advice here, drink my diet pepsi (loving every minute of it) and wind up with a BP higher than the 145/95 that is was at my last check up, I'm gonna feel mighty foolish.

"Well, I know you told me not to drink aspartame, but there were these people on the internet..."
Take this with a grain of salt 1, but if it were me, I'd speak to the doctor again and (tactfully, of course) ask her if she was perhaps confusing sodium saccharin with aspartame. And find out what she thinks about other sweeteners, maybe -- did she say it was okay to drink sucralose (Splenda)?

And whatever you decide to do, make sure you check the label of the drinks you drink -- some of them do contain more sodium than others. (And some drinks have way way way WAY more than others -- I think V8 vegetable juice has an insanely high amount of sodium, for instance.)

1Man, unintentional puns are the best kind. The BEST, I tell you!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Why can't you just print out the research and ask your doctor about it?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVena
Why can't you just print out the research and ask your doctor about it?
Yes, exactly. Never go against your MD's advice on something this trivial (of course on serious matters a second opion is often a good idea). However, the research here is pretty stong, if I do say so myself. Print out a few of the papers, take them to her and see what she says. If she's a good MD, she'll look into it herself, perhaps realize she is wrong and won't pass the bad info along to other patients.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler
-- did she say it was okay to drink sucralose (Splenda)?
She said that Splenda was fine.

I have a feeling I'll wind up on an ACE inhibitor regardless of what I do - I don't actually salt food so there's not many places that I can reduce my socium intake. I eat sweet processed foods, but not salty ones (although there might be a tonne of sale in PopTarts - I'll have to check).

It seems to be my luck - like the high cholesterol - it doesn't matter what I eat, it's always high. Hypoapobetalipoproteinemia, apparently.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Uh, sodium intake.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 PM

How does the sodium content of splenda sweetened soft drinks compare to aspartame sweetened ones? I've got a bottle of Diet Pepsi here which shows 25 mg sodium per 8 fl oz serving, approximately 1% Daily Value. Even though aspartame itself is sodium free, it might be that soft drink makers may typically balance aspartame with some flavoring that contains sodium.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If you look carefully, I believe you'll find that no one here has advised you to drink your Diet Pepsi. We have just pointed out that your doctor is apparently mistaken.

It's always a good idea to check out the advice of your doctor with reputable sources, isn't it?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagloba
How does the sodium content of splenda sweetened soft drinks compare to aspartame sweetened ones? I've got a bottle of Diet Pepsi here which shows 25 mg sodium per 8 fl oz serving, approximately 1% Daily Value. Even though aspartame itself is sodium free, it might be that soft drink makers may typically balance aspartame with some flavoring that contains sodium.
I think they usually only combine it with another sweetener, acesulfame potassium, which somehow gets rid of the aspartame aftertaste. As far as I can tell, the only source of sodium in most sodas would either be the "natural and artificial flavorings," since those don't actually list what flavorings are used, and whatever form of ... um ... going from memory here ... disodium EDTA? that is used as a preservative.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcullman
What is new Coke Zero made with? It tastes markedly different from Diet Coke (almost like regular coke if you ask me). Is it made with splenda?
Asparatame and Ace K.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathochist
It's not made with Splenda, but I'm still surprised nobody's mentioned Tab. Tab does still exist, and is still made with saccharine. It also takes care of that "too sweet" taste you're talking about.
Nitpick: I think the sweetener is "saccharin," without the "e" on the end, while the adjective has the "e" on the end.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I As far as I can tell, the only source of sodium in most sodas would either be the "natural and artificial flavorings," since those don't actually list what flavorings are used, and whatever form of ... um ... going from memory here ... disodium EDTA? that is used as a preservative.
My diet pepsi bottle lists "sodium benzoate" as the 5th item.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC
If you look carefully, I believe you'll find that no one here has advised you to drink your Diet Pepsi. We have just pointed out that your doctor is apparently mistaken.

It's always a good idea to check out the advice of your doctor with reputable sources, isn't it?
Listen, Mr. SnarkyPants, I asked a simple question about aspartame and got of bunch of medical advice.

No, nobody explicitly said "drink your pepsi", but I certainly got links to a bunch of studies suggesting that aspartame will actually lower blood pressure, which has left me, understandably, IMHO, confused, so take your snooty tone and stuff it.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Listen, Mr. SnarkyPants, I asked a simple question about aspartame and got of bunch of medical advice.
With all due respect it wasn't a simple question. If you had left it at "What diet drinks do not contain Aspartame?" you would have been spared most of the commentary in this thread. However, it was followed up with what might well be non-factual medical information. That made the medical rebuttals you've seen relevant to the OP.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
With all due respect it wasn't a simple question. If you had left it at "What diet drinks do not contain Aspartame?" you would have been spared most of the commentary in this thread. However, it was followed up with what might well be non-factual medical information. That made the medical rebuttals you've seen relevant to the OP.
You say tomato, I say tomato (that loses something in this medium, huh?)

The medical information is fine - interesting, even - but getting snarky with me when I express confusion is totally uncalled for.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, nobody explicitly said "drink your pepsi", but I certainly got links to a bunch of studies suggesting that aspartame will actually lower blood pressure, which has left me, understandably, IMHO, confused, so take your snooty tone and stuff it.
It is possible that switching from sugar to aspartame caused a weight loss which led to the lower blood pressure, rather than the aspartame itself, if you see what I mean.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcullman
I don't know what kind of sweetener is in it, but the reason it tastes more like regular Coke is because Diet Coke has a totally different formula than regular Coke, and Coke Zero uses the same formula as regular Coke. I have been wondering if they were able to do that because the regular Coke formula doesn't taste good with Nutrasweet, but since Splenda tastes more like sugar, they are able to substitute it more easily. But I keep forgetting to check the Coke Zero label in the store to see what is in it.

I'm such a doofus, because I don't even drink diet soda at all...I just am really interested in Coca-Cola & their various products & marketing!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth
It is possible that switching from sugar to aspartame caused a weight loss which led to the lower blood pressure, rather than the aspartame itself, if you see what I mean.
Of course. However, that doesn't really apply in my particular circumstances, and the researchers weren't able to conclusively say which it was, so I'm sort of confused.

Obviously my OP was poorly written, but at the end of the day I am the patient that's been advised something by her physician which I'm trying to follow. If I'm offered a bunch of contradictory information here, it not only makes sense that I might be confused, but also that I might be concerned because it is MY BP being discussed in this particular thread, even if, to the people posting to it, it's only hypothetical patient X.

Ya know what I mean?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Nitpick: I think the sweetener is "saccharin," without the "e" on the end, while the adjective has the "e" on the end.
O.E.D. lists -e as a valid alternative. I don't have any Tab here to check coke's preferred orthography.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagloba
How does the sodium content of splenda sweetened soft drinks compare to aspartame sweetened ones?
Diet Rite has 0 sodium. It also has 0 carbs, caffeine, and calories, which makes it the uber diet soda in my book. Tastes better than Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi. It's at least as good as Coke Zero, which goes flat remarkably quick. All that AND it's almost always on sale at Kroger for $2.99-$3.33 per 12-pack.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwashed brain
Diet Rite has 0 sodium.
So can you get it in Canada? I've never seen it, but perhaps some obscure store?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
My diet pepsi bottle lists "sodium benzoate" as the 5th item.
Then there appears to be some variability in the formula; my Diet Pepsi bottle lists potassium benzoate as the fifth ingredient. Sodium isn't mentioned explicitly, so it must be among the natural flavors.
Closed Thread