ID this picture...please

Posted on this thread at Fark.com But you can just see the picture here .

What is this? Is it photoshopped? Is it real? Note the warning floaters in the background. For some reason they give the photo credibility.

Or did someone just wake the Krakken? Thanks dopers!

It looks fake to me as there does not appear to be any circular motion of the water, it just goes straight down. I’ll be the first to admit I’m no expert though.

It looks like an intake for a large dam. It’s not Hoover dam, those intakes kave towers built around them.

It’s real, or at least there are things exactly like this that are real. It’s one of the several rather diverse meanings of ‘glory hole’.

The linked pic is apparently at Monticello Dam

That is indeed a “glory hole” type spillway. That particular one is in Lake Berryessa in northern California.

cool, live and learn. I’d love to see one in reallife. We’re not big on dams in the UK though.

Google ads: “Oprah has spoken.”

:dubious:

But for the sake of your eyes, don’t do an unfiltered image search on ‘glory hole’ - two other meanings (if you didn’t already know):

-A hole in a wall or partition through which a person inserts his penis, for exhibitionist purposes, or to receive sexual gratification.
-The anus

In this aerial photo, you can see where the spillway empties back into the river, but I have a question…

Is it just an open tube all the way down? I presume this will be the case, since installing a grille would seem to serve no useful purpose and would just trap debris, possibly causing obstruction.

So if it is an open tube all the way down, has anyone been foolhardy enough to try to ride it?

Ohhhhh!

Hot Glory Hole vid!!!

(SFW)

Wow! The Dope Rocks! (I should visit GQ more often!)
Now that I know what to look for, I did a google search on:
“glory hole” +dam
That got rid of all the penis pics.

Also got me to a couple of interesting links (is this kosher?)
Riding the Glory Hole on a skateboard

It’s on the internet, so it must be true, right?

Thanks again!

Oh. Great. Og. Somebody talk me down from this panic attack. The sight of that thing just horrifies me. :::shudder:::

[URL-="http://members.tripod.com/~earthdude1/texaco/texaco.html "]Lake Peigneur, circa November 21 1980, perhaps?

Interesting … it just so happens that my daughter spent this last summer as a park ranger at that very lake. I’ll ask her if she can verify that such things would be tolerated by the PTB there.

I’m guessing that security concerns would shut that down now, if basic safety wasn’t a worry.

Damn!

That looked just like the “Glory Hole” at the Bridge Creek Reservoir on Crossman Ridge.

It supplies the water where I live.

It doesn’t seem that remarkable to me - they are skateboarding in the bottom part of the pipe where it’s horizontal. But this little paragraph got my mind wandering:

Same here. But looking at the second pic with the concrete around it soothed me. Makes it seem less freaky that it’s planned.

Same here. But looking at the second pic with the concrete around it soothed me. Makes it seem less freaky that it’s planned.

I agree; there’s something incredibly gripping and viscerally chilling about it, isn’t there?